• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ride position change K1200s

woody99

Hi: How difficult and expensive would it be to change a K1200s to a more comfortable riding position, i live in Hawaii and there aren't a lot of BMW's pick from, I am pretty mechanical so I can do the work myself. Thanks for the help. Woody

Woody - here is a link to AC Schnitzer, I put on a similar set up that they make for the R1200ST, the link here is for the K1200S.

AC Schnitzer Link

The kit was significant enough to allow my wife to keep and enjoy here bike.

Their workmanship is superb, they are a little pricy, but you are getting a top of the line product designed specifically for the bike it is intended.

I found a top triple tree from a wrecked K1200R online, and added a Corbin "Low" seat. Made a big differance in the overall seating position as now my hands are probably 2.5" higher than stock configuration. Great bike, hope you find your confort zone!

K1200s Salvage title

I have a chance to buy a 2005 K1200s the price is $6500, but it has a broken bracket that holds the kickstand and needs some welding on the frame, supposedly nothing else is damaged, parts are $200 plus the welding. The title is salvage, what exactly does that mean? . does it sound reasonable. Thanks for all your help Woody

"Salvage title" means that when it was "dropped", the insurance paid the owner as a total loss. In most states it can be repaired and an extensive inspection done to be certified as safe ($150-$300), then you would get a "Reconstructed title". This will always follow the bike and will cause a slightly less value to be placed on the bike when you sell it. Hard to day if it is a good deal or not, as you don't mention mileage or extras, but looking at Ebay and other classifieds, $6500 might be a little high for an '05. Here in PA, if it is an out of state title, it will take around 4-6 weeks to get the paperwork back from the state before you can register it to ride, so the summer would be all but over.

As a comparison, a friend of mine sold a '05 K1200S with 16k miles for $6500, clear title, no damage. The bike had been down, but was all repaired, and not turned into his insurance, thus the clear title.

I ride a reconstructed K1200S, had a R-title K1200RS before that, so I'm not afraid of buying bikes to fix up, just don't pay too much, as you'll never get your money back out when you sell.

Good luck with it, let us know how you do.

Back