• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Aerostich 2-piece Roadcrafter & BMW Top Case

rummy63

I reside in Quesnel, BC and am flying down to pick-up a 2007 BMW K1200GT from Phoenix, Arizona.

I purchased an Aerostich 2-piece Roadcrafter suit. When I first put on the suit, I noticed it seems too big and the ballistics don't line-up with the intended body parts. I do notice however, that the suit is more comfortable when sitting. Without having the bike around to test for comfort and fit of the Roadcrafter, does anyone have a 2-piece Roadcrafter, and can they comment on the fit of their suit?

Secondly, does the BMW 49L top case fit the Aerostich 2-piece Roadcrafter? I want to be able to remove the suit and hike to some of the sites.

Thank-you.

Darien and 49l case

I have the Darien Jacket and pants from Aerostich and they fit in the 49L case. But they will be the only items in the case,

Thank-you

Thank-you, hd2w0w, for your reply. I realized that if I want to see any of the great parks on my way back from Phoenix, I will need to store my gear on the bike. I will look funny, or cool, in shorts, t-shirt, and motorcycle boots.

I have owned two Aerostich Roadcrafter 2-piece suits, a used gray one I bought in 1995 (made in 1987, an oldie!) and a new black one I won at the Georgia Mountain Rally in 1998. I crashed in the new one in 1999, to say it did its job beyond expectation would be a wild understatement! The black one was cut off and carted away in an orange bag and I am back using the gray one though it is showing its age and needed all the pads replaced last year and will have to go back to Duluth for new velcro soon.

Yes, they are a bit baggy and sag a bit when you walk around in them - they are made to go over clothes underneath but they are very adjustable for fit. Mine probably more so as it has been breaking in for 23 years :) That said, when you sit on the bike everything is where it ought to be if you've gotten the correct sizing and have properly adjusted the various velcro and drawstring adjustments (there are a bunch!) Though the new ones are very stiff and take time to break in you can probably get a good idea of whether it is sized correctly by sitting in a chair leaning forward with your arms out. Just make sure it isn't too tight or baggy in the groin/shoulder when you lean forward while sitting, or too short/long on leg length.

You might call the Aerostich folks if you still have any questions, they are very good about answering questions fully and patiently.

EDIT: My stich fits just fine in my K75RT side case, not sure how big that is but I'd imagine it isn't quite 49L...

Thank-you

Thank-you, Ted, for your reply. I will try on the Roadcrafter one more time and consider the fit based on your points. Good to hear the Roadcrafter provided protection when called upon.

Fit -

Roadcrafters are designed to be comfortable when riding - hence the seeming saggy rear and long legs when walking around. Everything lines up when holding on the the handlebars.

Bring along a cable lock if you have space concerns - you can lock the suit to the bike along w your bike.

Fit

I am on my second two piece roadcrafter and recently sent my newest one back for an adjustment after losing quite a bit of weight. Mine fits a little loose with room to allow riding in a t shirt or t-neck with a gerbing heated liner under the jacket and wearing shorts or the aerostich fleece pants. When sitting on a bike the pads all go where they belong and are very comfortable to ride in. The thing I like is the airflow from the venting in the jacket on warm days. Like a previous post suggests find a friends bike to sit on and then if you have questions call Aerostich and talk to them. The cost of my adjustments were $100 plus shipping. I don't know of one other company that offers the option of making adjustments and repairs like Aerostich. A great company.

Back