• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Pics of your rig's MOUNTING HARDWARE

lmo1131

I was going to ask one of the pic-posters to show some close-ups of their mounting hardware (sub-frames, struts, dampers, brake pedals, etc.) in the Pics of your Rig forum but decided it would "muddy up" the thread.

So... .

If you have any close up shots of the various components on your rig would you post them here.... just no cup-holders, okay?

Here's a shot of the connectors on my R100/Ural rig. First, note that I've added a new receiver on the sidecar frame to accept a "rear" jaw clamp in the appropriate position for a /7 frame. What you can't see is a cross brace from inside the passenger peg bracket to the left side of the frame.

If you look closely, you can see a parallel brake pedal. That's the sidecar brake, and having a parallel lever keeps the sidecar brake system separate from the bike, and also allows easy detachment of the sidecar.

Notice the added upper rear strut. That's just extra bracing for offroad use. And if you look closely, you can see another cross brace under the cylinder, between the sidecar front receiver and the rear engine bolt. So, 6 cross braces in total.

I elected to use the stock Ural jaw clamps, but the lower front connector has been modified. It's a "rear" J clamp inserted in a new receiver, welded with two inches extra width to help clear the BMW cylinder head.

pmdave

Attachments

• R100 Ural connections 01 sm.jpg
    R100 Ural connections 01 sm.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 807
Here's a shot of my leading link front end, which started out in life as a Heddingham "Unit" fork. I reinforced the two leading links with gussets at the rear, and added some vertical bracketry to allow repositioning the link in either solo or sidecar trail.

The fender is an extensively modified front "rain" fender, widened to accept a 4:00 x 18 knobby. It's mounted to the cross brace I added between the upper shock clamps on the downtubes. The cross brace helps make the downtubes more rigid, but also makes a handy place to support the high fender. The front of the fender is held up by a Ural front fender brace and some home-brew ss brackets. The fender snugs right up under the mini-fairing.

I used the ATE brakes, although in retrospect I should have sprung for Brembos. The ATEs hang horizontal, and capture mud and water. Brembos could have been supported horizontal on floating carriers, and being mounted on top of the discs would stay cleaner and allow "neutral dive" braking.

The upper brake hoses are ss braided, and the lower brake "pipes" (tubes) are steel, but armored with rubber hose to help stave off rocks. Shock absorbers are Koni.

The front wheel in this picture is a 19" Lester with a square profile sidecar tire. I also have an 18" offroad wheel, with Sun alloy rim laced to a reinforced hub with heavy gage ss spokes. Likewise the "offroad" rear wheel.

pmdave

Attachments

• WS leading link R rear sm.jpg
    WS leading link R rear sm.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 807
Dave...I like the shock 'boot' on the LL.
Is that homemade or purchased?
have a good day

Thanks Dave, am I seeing sub-frame in the first shot?

Could we see a shot perpendicular to the center-line of the bike (from the right side of the chair)? Please...
icon_wink.gif

What type of "frame" clamps work best on the tapered down-tubes found on old /5-6s? I'm guessing a sub-frame instead....

Thanks, Lew

edit- forgot to mention that yesterday I got to look at an older GL1000 rigged up to a Watsoninan (which model I'm not sure). We were at a truck stop on 101 so I didn't get to nose around for too long. The owner did the installation himself and used double "U"bolts and backing plates - i.e. two "U" bolts on either side of a frame tube - it didn't look too secure to me and it seems like there would be a lot of point-pressure under those bolts. Comments please.

I call them "shock pants". Home sewn out of cordura or something like that. They just slip over the top of the shock with the bolt removed. Keeps out the big debris.

I didn't use a subframe. Rather, I depend on the main frame, but reinforce it with various bits and pieces to control bending/torquiing. The lower front main strut clamps to a ball screwed on the end of the engine bolt, but I reinforced the ball with a short bar brazed on, secured with ss straps around the frame to keep the engine mounting bolt from bending.

The upper front mount is another custom job. The R100 frames have two cross tubes, where the R75 frame has a single cross tube. On my R100 I welded up a shaped split clamp that secures around the upper curved cross tube. Since it's formed in a curved shape, once it's bolted up it can't budge. The attachment is through a large aircraft style eye bolt. If I were installing on an R75, I would make up a strut that clamps around both frame tubes.

The lower rear attachment is to another ball bolted through the passenger peg bracket. On the inside, there is barely room to squeeze a tube through the brake mechanism to attach to the left side of the frame. That's because the thin passenger peg bracket is not very resistant to side loads.

The upper rear strut attaches to a custom eye bracket that bolts through the frame/subframe connection with a high strength 3/8" bolt. And I also use a cross tube to brace the sides of the frame. The threaded tube inserts between the two lower holes in the subframe bracket, using tapered clutch bolts to take care of the unsquare alignment.

U-bolts are a bit too crude for me to use as sidecar fittings. They don't spread the load across the frame tubing, and it doesn't take much crushing or dimpling of a frame to cause it to fail. There are strap clamps that are a step above an industrial U-bolt, but strap clamps all have the disadvantage of slipping under use. My preference would be for a split clamp using several connector bolts.

At the moment, I'm a bit limited by a "bad" leg, but I'll try to shoot some additional details when I get mobile again.

Attachments

• U front clamp R100 sm.jpg
    U front clamp R100 sm.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 787
Here's what I call a "split clamp"

There really isn't any "standard" sidecar attachment hardware. Each conversion usually requires the fabrication of clamps to fit the bike or sidecar. So, if you need a clamp like this, just make up a drawing and take it to a welding shop. It's not hard to fabricate once you know the shape and dimensions. Clamps like this can be made of mild steel, and held together with high strength (grade 8) bolts.

I've retouched thie photo to give you a better idea of the shape. If this were to go around an oval frame tube, just give the welder the dimensions. The mild steel will deform slightly to grip the frame.

pmdave

Attachments

• split clamp retouched sm.jpg
    split clamp retouched sm.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 778
Niceeeeeeeeee fabrication Dave. Your work?

I got a good look at a Cozy Sport Max Standard this week; I was taking in all the mounting details so I could apply them to this Bingham project I have.

I have all the major struts for this old chair, but the tangs (Cozy's definition) are old and pitted. I couldn't care less about the surface finish (powder-coat is a wonderful restorer) but I am more than a little concerned about the underlying metallurgy. These parts are 41 years old and I have issues with the "square" cut corners (where the head meets the shank) that lead to stress cracks.

The Bingham "tangs" are 1/2" diameter (Cozy's are 18mm [.71"]) and fit through tubes brazed into the frame. I think 1/2" is a bit light for the duty I had in mind, but there is no way to step up to the larger "Cozy" sized parts, short of drilling out and fitting new tubes in the frame (which is more effort than I care to expend). A new frame would be easier to build. So, at this point I think I'll just restore this old rig and sell it to someone interested in a town-hack; it would be perfect on a 450+.

Copyright Sport Max Sidecars
mountingparts.jpg

Is anyone else offering mounting components for sale besides cozy? I see plenty of sidecars but not much in the way of "hardware".

Barring that I suppose it's McMaster-Carr time.

Bingham.jpg

Yep, sidecar mounting hardware is specialty stuff, and not available at your local hardware or farm equipment store. It's a small enough industry that just about everything is custom made.

If you're cheap and resourceful, fabricate your own. Saw out pieces of steel with your metal cutting bandsaw, and have a good welder put them together. For ideas, see the "Yellow Book", Driving A Sidecar Outfit, 2nd edition.

Or, talk to one of the sidecar installers, such as Jay Giese at Dauntless Motors near Seattle. Jay makes up lots of different sidecar connectors, and can provide just about anything you need. I don't know if they have a catalog.

If you have an IMZ-Ural dealer in the vicinity, stop by for a chat. Sometimes they carry extra bits and pieces, or can order through the importer. In general, I have found Ural hardware to be sturdy and reliable. Other sidecar brands, including Cozy, Velorex, Jawa, etc. have lightweight hardware barely suitable for 350cc size machines.

pmdave

Thanks Dave, am I seeing sub-frame in the first shot?

Could we see a shot perpendicular to the center-line of the bike (from the right side of the chair)? Please...
icon_wink.gif

I snapped a couple of shots of my R100 mounts. I left the dirt on so it would look "natural."

The first photo is of the lower front mount, which uses a ball on the engine stud reinforced with a horizontal bar--to allow ss straps around the main frame to help prevent the ball from bending the end of the engine stud, and to provide some redundancy. The "spare" ss clamp on the frame is for attaching a bash plate.

The black diagonal strut is to add some lateral support, and to add some rock armor under the exposed brake assembly. That square tube on the lower front sidecar strut is a jackstand receiver to support the sidecar when it is removed.

pmdave

Attachments

• ECU under RH mounts 02 sm.jpg
    ECU under RH mounts 02 sm.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 737
Here's a different view of the upper front mount. A curved split clamp wraps around the frame cross tube. A large eye bolt inserts in the bosses on the front of the clamp.

The curved shape of the clamp means that once the bolts are tight it can't budge.

The two relays are for the "wake 'em up" horns

pmdave

Attachments

• Upper front clamp 02 sm.jpg
    Upper front clamp 02 sm.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 728
The upper rear strut attaches to an eyebolt through the frame/subframe fittings. And, to add some needed lateral bracing between the main frame rear loops, I have added a heavy wall ss tube held in place by clutch bolts through the lower holes in the frame bracket.

Last winter I decided to add an air prefilter, to help keep dust out of the airbox on unpaved roads. I made a fiberglass copy of the top of the air filter box, with an inlet at the upper rear. That's the big hole. The prefilter box spreads out to bridge over the cross tube.

pmdave

Attachments

• Upr rear cross brace 01 sm.jpg
    Upr rear cross brace 01 sm.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 727
Here's the prefilter in place, secured with an elastic strap. The filter material is dirt bike foam, and can easily be removed if needed for cleaning.

It's necessary for the prefilter box to spread out in order to provide the necessary volume going over the cross tube.

pmdave

Attachments

• CU airbox prefilter 01 sm.jpg
    CU airbox prefilter 01 sm.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 727
The passenger peg is strong enough vertically to support a sidecar, but it's not very resistant to side loads.

I've added a diagonal brace between the ball mount on the passenger peg and the other side of the frame cross tube. It crosses below the swing arm, and attaches with a heavy ss clamp. The brake bracket had to be reworked slightly to allow room for the crossbrace attachment.

This is a critical part of the conversion, to allow this rig to fly through the air and land without coming apart.

pmdave

Attachments

• Lwr rear footpeg brace 01 sm.jpg
    Lwr rear footpeg brace 01 sm.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 732
Here's a RH Liberty sidecar frame on a Harley-Davidson, conversion by Liberty Sidecars in Seattle a couple of years ago.

The H-D sidecar uses a single curved upper strut, but a rigid sidecar axle. The Liberty uses two upper struts for increased rigidity, and a swing arm for sidecar suspension.

The standard sidecar frame mounts by H-D are very strong and a tried-and-true design.

Liberty replaces the stock H-D triple clamps with new ones to reduce trail, so the front end looks stock, but steering is much lighter.

pmdave

Attachments

• HD Liberty frame 02 sm.jpg
    HD Liberty frame 02 sm.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 503
Starting way back when, European sidecars used ball/jaw clamps to attach the sidecar. Since the Russians copied the design from the German sidecars left lying around after the war, Russian sidecars used--and continue to use--ball/jaw clamps.

The J-tube clamps in the sidecar frame receiver. There are two forged steel clamps that are pulled into the tapered collar on the J-tube with a large bolt. That pulls the ball into the clamp and holds it securely. The system allows some changes in alignment.

In the earlier years Ural sold bikes as well as outfits, so they provided a forged ball fitting that could be fastened over the front engine stud and then welded to the motorcycle frame. The ball was a bit crude, but very strong.

Normally, wheel track is controlled by sliding the J-tube in or out of the frame reciever. Many Ural hacks came with the J-tube welded in place as an extension of the sidecar frame, preventing any easy changes in alignment. A few later Ural cars came with frame receivers both front and rear, which allowed a "rear" J-tube to be inserted in the front receiver--which made alignment much easier.

pmdave

Attachments

• Ball jaw clamp sm.jpg
    Ball jaw clamp sm.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 505
The most common connector system today is a large commercial Heim joint threaded into the end of a boss on the J-tube. The J-tube inserts in a receiver on the sidecar frame, or into a wrist clamp on a second tube to provide the needed angle and reach.

In all cases, receivers should have two clamping bolts, and the tube being clamped should extend at least an inch beyond the end of the clamp.

Sidecar installers typically have a variety of J-tubes and wrist clamps made up at different angles to allow making connections to a variety of machines and cars.

pmdave

Attachments

• heim connector 02 sm.jpg
    heim connector 02 sm.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 503
Better built sidecars have more accurate connectors. The sidecar builder or installer often has a variety of end fittings to insert into a J-tube.

The advantage of very accurate connectors is that when tightened up they are very strong.

The disadvantage is that a connector with no "wiggle room" for misalignment can be difficult to get aligned correctly.

pmdave

Attachments

• J conn clevis bolt sm.jpg
    J conn clevis bolt sm.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 502
Today's BMWs do not lend themselves to sidecar use. The engines are strong, but BMW tends to use the engine as the lower "frame" so there are no handy sidecar attachment points.

That doesn't mean a sidecar can't be attached to a contemporary BMW, but it does mean an installer will need to be very clever about subframes that pick up the available fasteners on the engine.

Here's an EZS installation on a BMW oilhead. The subframe was provided by EZS as part of the sidecar package. However, the devalluation of the dollar compared to the Euro means that today any European sidecar will be very expensive. Liberty has ceased importing EZS for BMWs because so few owners can afford them.

There is a moral to this: if you find a used EZS or EML at a reasonable price, buy it. You'll be getting a bargain.

pmdave

Attachments

• R1100 EZS mounts 01 sm.jpg
    R1100 EZS mounts 01 sm.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 504
Back