• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

nightmare

papaed

1700 miles from home and the 08 gt spit another cam tensioner.It spit the first one 5,000 miles ago.the bad part is it happens with no warning,running great,shut it off,then clank-clank on restart.Had it towed 60 miles on Saturday but dealer won't look at it until tuesday.Left Cental Cal.a week ago on a tour of the Pacific Northwest,and now down for at least 5 days.Rented a car and will see what Seattle has to offer.Sure hope BMW figures this out,got my eye on a red 1300.

Clank-Clank major grinding or just the rattle of the chain against the valve cover until it pumps oil thru it? Our 05's rattle at start up, but settle down immediately.

Wish it were just that.No,this results in a no start,no run condition.Sounds like motor is turning over with no compression as if the cam itself quit turning.Should find out for sure in the morning.

Tensioner replaced

I had the tensioner in my 06 fail about 5 months ago at about 50,000 miles. No other damage but it can not run in this condition. First time I had to tow my bike. The new tensioner has a different design for the plunger that tensions the guide. It is much bigger and the outer casting protrudes about an inch further. Also, the bike now starts silently.

Wish it were just that.No,this results in a no start,no run condition.Sounds like motor is turning over with no compression as if the cam itself quit turning.Should find out for sure in the morning.

Any update?

That sounds like a cam chain skipping a couple teeth and off valve timing. I would replace the cam chain, tensioner, rails, sprocket and exhaust cam...provided there is no valve damage.

Back