Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bay Area dealer shut down!

One might remember this thread when it comes time to chose between buying service parts, accessories, etc from your local dealer vs the Interwebz sources. Accessory and parts sales used to make up a large part of a dealers incoming cash flow - now a bricks and mortar store is hard pressed to just stay in business.. many BMW riders treat the dealership as a place to try out something for size/fit before buying it on-line.

Just food for thought..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Retired User
    +1. Couldn't agree more.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    One might remember this thread when it comes time to chose between buying service parts, accessories, etc from your local dealer vs the Interwebz sources. Accessory and parts sales used to make up a large part of a dealers incoming cash flow - now a bricks and mortar store is hard pressed to just stay in business.. many BMW riders treat the dealership as a place to try out something for size/fit before buying it on-line.

Just food for thought..
    This food chain goes both ways...not long ago an admin type from BMW Sport Touring forum pleaded with folks to buy from this specific dealership because they were having hard times. The Admin even admitted this went against the posting rules, but the owner of said dealership was well known and apparently liked. He was also an original operator for that forum site.

That's all well and good I suppose, unless you are one of the "other" dealers (be they with an Internet sales outlet or not), just as bad or worse off, but nobody is cheering for you. Too bad, but this is what happens when one takes a leap of faith in a soon doomed economy. Being over extended financially has put many in the same position and it isn't just shopping for the best deal, because the buyer has fewer dollars, that's causing it.

Businesses come and go...a BMW motorcycle dealership is one of the last places I'd invest my $$$ and expect a healthy return. Looking at the track record of dealerships in the USA makes one pause. Seems the dealerships only lasts as long as the investors keep recapping it. The ones that survive beyond 10 years, on their own merit and stand alone balance sheets, are rare.
    MOA #46783
    2015 R1200RT

wow. really awful news. seemed like a great place.. i looked at a GSA there a few months back.
    Tom - MOA #156706, Hayward, CA
    2006 BMW R1200GS Adventure, aka "Gretel"
    1983 Honda V65 Magna - SOLD
    http://www.flyv65.com

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman View Post
    Latest I've heard is that they will be open on Fridays and Saturdays for the near term -- able to provide service with in-stock items.

There is hope! This is actually more of a restructuring than a closure, at least at this point.
    Stopped by the shop this morning (Friday) to see if anything had been worked out. Buttoned up tight. Inside it was very nearly empty. Looks pretty bad for the good guys.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    R1200RT