• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hi-Viz Helmets?

Theo

Touring Panpsychist
While I'll leave the discussion of the merits of Hi-Viz to other threads, I was interested in the subject of Hi-Viz helmets. I feel like the helmet is the highest point on the motorcycle/rider package and it seems only logical for that point to be clad in Hi-Viz to augment conspicuity.

I am aware of the Scorpion EXO-700 Hi-Viz and the soon to be released Arai Vector Hi-Viz, but does anyone know of other helmet manufacturers offering a DOT/Snell Hi-Viz option?

Scorpion EXO-700:
exo700scorpionneon.jpg

Scorpion EXO-900:
exo900neon.jpg

Arai Vector Hi-Viz:
307521bf3151a33c0697e762c7fc7975_rough.jpg

Last edited:
wow

That Scorpion is bright. I've never seen a high viz helmet on the road.

You can see a hi-viz helmet from far, far away! I've spotted a friend in the middle of rush hour traffic. When we ride together he can be spotted easily whether leading or following. I think it's more effective than hi-viz clothing, which doesn't show up from such a distance because it lacks the elevation.

I followed this guy for half a day in April. It's hard to see anything else. This is the Scorpion EXO-900

4665616629_9d6b0566a3.jpg

I read a study once stating that the best helmet color is white, and both of ours are. Anyway, they postulated that, because LEOs wear white helmets, drivers are conditioned to notice them sooner. I don't know, but I often see brake lights come on immediately when I enter the highway with my white helmet and my Goldwing (which the LEOs in San Antonio ride). Whatever gets me seen is OK with me.............well, almost.:whistle

A number of years ago I read of a European study that found a correllation between white helmets and fewer multi-vehicle motorcycle accidents. Their conclusion was that white is the most easily seen helmet color. Since reading that article, I look at helmets when I'm on the road, and white does seem remarkably conspicuous compared to any other color. I'm not sure if its because I'm looking for them, or if its actually true. But I sure notice it.

Anyway, back to your quesetion. Since I'm a Shoei guy who'll soon be in the market for a new helmet I thought I'd check them out. Shoei makes three "bright" (as opposed to "hi viz") solid color helmets for their RF-1100. They're called "Axis Yellow," "Pure Orange," and "Monza Red." None of the three are made for the X-12, and the Multitec only has the the axis yellow.

RF-1100-Axis-Yellow.jpg

RF-1100-Pure-Orange.jpg

RF-1100-Monza-Red.jpg

Last edited:
This Hi-Viz helmet thing is kind of hard to analyze. The problem is that, until recently, very few helmet manufacturers offered Hi-Viz colors. Thus, all the safety-related studies I've been looking at do not include Hi-Viz data in their comparisons.

I agree that, absent a Hi-Viz choice, white would be MY color of choice. However, white does occur naturally in our surroundings and, to some degree, still does not produce a maximum level of "visual alert" IMHO. A color that is completely foreign to the background of our surroundings like Hi-Viz, may be "picked-up" faster by the brain. Of course, one still needs the brain to process the alert and, sadly, that is the weak point in any passive safety scheme.

HERE is some interesting Hi-Viz info from webbikeworld.com within their review of the EXO-700 Neon.

Until the EXO-700 I have never owned anything but Shoei helmets. I went looking for a new helmet earlier this year and after trying on the RF-1000 and the new RF-1100 I tried on the EXO-700 for kicks and was really impressed by the design, fit, finish and weight. The price couldn't be beat so I picked one up.

After 1,000 or so miles with the EXO-700 I am completely sold on the helmet, aside from the great fit and functionality it is QUIET! Another great advantage, unlike every Shoei I have ever owned, when you open the vents you can immediately feel the airflow - plus the vents are well designed and easily opened and closed with gloved hands.

I bought a white one but had the neon been available I probably would have bought it.

I just got my second EXO-700 two weeks ago, and it's the neon one. *WOW!* it really does catch the eye- it practically glows in the dark! When I walk into my dark living room after being out for the evening, I see the dang thing sitting on the table that I can't see. A couple of weeks ago I was riding through Memphis and got caught in a NASTY storm...eventually pulled over to take shelter under the big awning in front of an abandoned car-dealer showroom...and when I saw my reflection in the windows I was amazed- all the dark dreariness about and the helmet just SCREAMED through it all!
Now the bright yellow reflections in the bike's instruments took some getting used to...and the dead bugs REALLY show up on the helmet...but I'm really loving its brightness!

I followed a guy this last weekend wearing a Scorpion Hi viz talked to him at a rest stop. Very impressed with the color and the fact that I could see the helmet color long before I could tell anything else about the bike or rider.
I think anything that helps make you visible cant hurt. Yea still ride as if you are invisible.

I have the Scorpion Hi Viz 900. My friends spot the helmet instead of my bike when I am coming and going. My daughter says it can be seen from space with the naked eye. Very bright. Also feels heavy.

I read a study once stating that the best helmet color is white, and both of ours are.

Those studies are from long ago, decades and decades before hi-viz. I remember reading the same thing and it was probably around 1970.

HERE is a "preview" of Solomon's 2002 updated study of emergency vehicle accidents with research into suggested colors for peak visibility. Please read the info starting on page 74 onward. Interesting...

Red's lack of visibility, particularly in fading light, has been known for years. As an active bicyclist I remember studies showing the superiority of yellow or hi viz yellow under most if not all lighting conditions.

I am typically the lead rider in our group.

Anywhere from 3 to 6 or 7 bikes.

When I look in the rearview mirror the first thing I notice is who's wearing a white helment and who's on the newest bike.

The white helment always sticks out and the newest bike always has the best headlight.

jason

Back in the late 1970's I wore an orange Bell Star 120. I chose orange over white due to it's (to me) apparent brighter conspicuous color.

I'm still here, never got hit while wearing it.

I do believe that high viz is probably more effective on a helmet due to the beacon like position (at least on a sitting up bike) above & unobstructed by bodywork or luggage.

I appreciate that the initial question was asked. I currently wear a Multi-Tec and I to am considering a new one in either white or yellow. I would probably opt for the HI VIZ if Shoei offered one, but since they do not, what does everyone think; YELLOW or WHITE? Which would be the most visible during day light hours and in both good weather and bad? I rarely ride at night.

HERE is a "preview" of Solomon's 2002 updated study of emergency vehicle accidents with research into suggested colors for peak visibility. Please read the info starting on page 74 onward. Interesting...

Very interesting indeed!

As a semi-interesting aside, back in the 1960s my dad was employed by the Highway Safety Research Institute (known today as the Transportation Research Institute), and during his time there he was involved in some experiments that sought to determine the best colour for tail-lights. Long story short, red was found to be among the worst overall. The best overall, which performed well in the greatest variety of conditions, was a sort of greenish-turquoise. The Institute submitted their report form the study to the US Department of Transportation, who politely filed it away never to be seen again. Oddly enough, nobody else in the world seems to have given this any regulatory consideration either.

I appreciate that the initial question was asked. I currently wear a Multi-Tec and I to am considering a new one in either white or yellow. I would probably opt for the HI VIZ if Shoei offered one, but since they do not, what does everyone think; YELLOW or WHITE? Which would be the most visible during day light hours and in both good weather and bad? I rarely ride at night.

I would think Yellow would stand out better. my Shoei is white w/ graffics (sp)

Back