• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hi-Viz Helmets?

I've spent the last hour or so conducting a little online research. The information from the online helmet store was similiar to what I found at a lot of sites asking the question about helmet color. The other information was from a research site having to do with the Munsell Color System or some such.

From An Online Helmet Dealer:

Although black helmets are popular among motorcyclists, they offer the least visibility to motorists. A rider wearing a plain white helmet rather than a black one reduces his or her chance of collision by 24% because it is so much more visible ÔÇö day or night. Nevertheless, black helmets outsell white ones (photo, above) by 20:1. Helmets of other colors vary in the visibility they provide to motorists by where they fall on a scale from black to white.

From A Color Research Site:

Many auto accidents happen in early morning and late in the evening when it is dark outside. Does the vehicle color have anything to do with this? What automotive paint color is easiest for the eye to see when it is dark outside? How about in daylight? (895)

I have not seen any statistics correlating car color with accident rates. Accidents are not common enough and there are two many other variables involved to get the required statistics. However, there is little doubt that visibility is one important factor in automobile accidents (this has been shown for motorcycle accidents since they are often "not seen" by other drivers). The most visible car color (and motorcycle helmet color for that matter) is white in low light conditions. This is because it reflects the most light and normally contrasts the most with the background (a snowy background would be an exception where a black car might actually be more visible). In general white is also most visible in the daylight because it contrasts most with the typical background.

I made an observation today that was revelatory to this discussion.

I was driving a local freeway this afternoon (not on the bike). An R1200GS passed me on the left. The rider was wearing a white helmet and a hi-viz yellow jacket.

As the rider got farther ahead of me, I kept my eyes scanning traffic ahead. What did my eyes keep 'sticking' to? The hi-viz jacket. The white helmet pretty much blended in with everything else- and was LOST among the white vehicles (and there always seem to be a few in any traffic), all of which were visually quite a bit larger.

BTW if the rider I saw today (yellow GS with grey Micatech bags) is reading this, thanks for providing me with the on-the-fly study in visual conspicuity. :)

I bought a fluorescent orange Shoei years ago and I swear by it. Every time I use it in a group ride, I always hear from other riders "the only thing I have seen all day is your helmet!". I got the idea because I used to follow a Harley rider who had one and noticed him 1/2 mile away. The sight of a fluorescent orange globe bobbing down the highway is just so unusual, it attracts the eye. I am sure a screaming yellow glow in the dark helmet would be better in low light conditions. I am very surprised that more people have not caught on to the idea. If I could not find a screaming helmet color, I think I would pay $300 to get one custom painted.

Wow, how many times is the word "I"used up there? My English teacher would never pass that paragraph! Sorry....

{snip}...What did my eyes keep 'sticking' to? The hi-viz jacket. The white helmet pretty much blended in with everything else- and was LOST among the white vehicles...{snip}

I think this experience, while less than a scientific study, points to the idea that many of the traditional helmet colors (even white) do not stand out from the "background" array of naturally-occurring colors. Yes, you can't argue with the physics that white reflects more light than any other color. However, if the color of light that is reflected does not "pop-out" in contrast to the background, (IMHO) it is of little consequence.

I was in the city the other day and noticed that many of today's cars are white or close to white. The city buses were a white and blue two-tone. White awnings decorated white building facades and, as it was warm, many folks had their dress coats off revealing their white shirts as they crossed the street.

I just wish that there were more recent visibility studies that included generic color recognition studies as well as practical motorcycle helmet color safety studies.

Hi Viz Helmets

White WAS the norm for Hi Visibility Helmets. That was until Scorpion threw their Hi Viz Hat into the ring.

They single handedly raised the bar for Visibility and Rider Safety with the Advent of the EXO 700, 900, and 400 Helmets.

I personally never leave the house without first donning a Hi Viz Helmet and either a Jacket or Vest. My occurrences of being "pulled in front of" has dropped dramatically.

I can't imagine going out without my Hi Viz Safety shield.

Then again the color of the bike helps... but that is another thread

Be Seen and Be Safe......

Attachments

• IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 7,093
I've heard complaints that the Scorpion EXO-700 hi-viz color fades pretty quickly. Does anyone know if that is still a problem in the current models?

Hi-Viz

It may not translate directly, but the military and civilian market is moving to using green lasers from red due to the increase in visibility. Apparently, a measurement made of the actual brightness of the laser is the same between the two colors, but the human eye picks up the green color easier and it appears brighter to humans in the field.

I've heard complaints that the Scorpion EXO-700 hi-viz color fades pretty quickly...{snip}

Any color helmet is susceptible to fading a bit due to the constant barrage of UV light on its shell. It's always a good idea to store your helmet in a side/top case when left outside for a time. Even putting it in the OEM bag helps, too.

Also, you may wish to consider a wax/treatment that has UV-blocking properties as a hedge against fading. I use Aerospace 303 Protectant but a number of other products offer equal UV protection.

The fading may be more noticeable on the Hi-Viz colors as they are so remarkably bright. :dunno

Since I just bought an EXO-900 Hi-Viz, I'll keep an eye out for this.

Back