• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Performance Insurance

Charlie_K

Registered Muser
I was browsing the BMW web site yesterday when I saw a link for BMW Performance Insurance; an offering from BMW and Liberty Mutual. It says they offer a discount to BMW riders and has a phone number to get a quote. Since my current insurance renews in July I gave them a call. Here's the numbers I got:

Me - 2006 R1200RT, experienced rider with no recent violations or accidents. I have collision insurance on the bike.

Renew my current policy with Progressive $400

Switch to BMW/Liberty Mutual $609

The two policies aren't exactly the same but I don't see $206 worth of differences. I'll be staying with Progressive.

$609 sounds way high, $400 a little high. You may want to check Rider Insurance based in NJ? I think full coverage on my 07 GT is $260.

I pay $400 per year on my 07 RT through Progressive. My stats are the same as yours. I have been quoted much higher like you too.

My deductibles are low, have broad form collision and maximum limits. The city I live in borders Detroit. If I lived say 50 miles away from the "D" I bet my policy would be $50-$70 cheaper.

My brother lives in Florida. I think he pays about $250 per year for full coverage on an 1150RT.

All consider yourselves lucky. Full coverage for my R1200S for a year under the (government) insurance plan here runs $2600.00. That's with a decade of no claims, accidents or even a single ticket.

All consider yourselves lucky. Full coverage for my R1200S for a year under the (government) insurance plan here runs $2600.00. That's with a decade of no claims, accidents or even a single ticket.

which government?

Comparing rates between different geographic locations might be instructive about those places but does little to illuminate different company's rates unless the locations are the same.

Case in point: A 1995 K75 low seat standard that State Farm covered with 100,000/300,000 liability and uninsured/underinsured coverage at Lawrence, Kansas for $98 a year was priced at $498 a year when located at Alpine, Texas. The agent's response to my shrieks was "State Farm in Texas doesn't like to insure motorcycles.

British Columbia, Canada.

I qualified for private insurance on the optional portion, thank goodness. Saved me $1500 on two bikes.

Problem is they've turned automotive insurance into a tax, taking the profits into general revenue instead of using it to lower rates for good drivers.

http://tinyurl.com/348g8n6

Grrrrr....

which government?

Insurance

Progressive [now called DRIVE Insurance in CA] has done me real good for 7+ yrs. I have 3 bikes w/ them and have full-tilt coverage and 100/300k liability - the policies on the 3 were in the $425 per year range until I received the renewal for this year in May - Jumped to almost $800 and my agent explained DRIVE is trying to boost rates to the level of other companies premiums here in SoCal. He tried to find me a better rate but couldn't.

I feel screwed as I have a clean record and have been riding for over 40yrs.:mad

ohmigosh!

i think everyone should read this article and reflect... this could happen to American private businesses!!! :deal

Except that ICBC is not a private business, as explained in this part of the article:

" "If ICBC was a private company it would be quite appropriate for some of that profit to be returned to the shareholder, but ICBC is not a private company, it's a Crown corporation and it has historically been meant to run at a not-for-profit basis," said David Black, vice-president of the Canadian Office and Professional Employees Local 378.

"Those profits should be returned to the drivers of British Columbia in the form of lower premiums rather than skimming off money from that and giving it to the government," Black said."

Back