• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Adding led brake lights

T

tourist

I want to add some light on the back of my side bags. While my project is not complete it has been bench tested and almost ready for install. Still working on the lens for the light but this is the rest of the project.
I'm going to run some wires from the appropriate light to the inputs on pins 3,5,10 and 12.
rear lights.JPG

It passed the bench test. Still waiting on some parts for the other side.
This picture is with the group of orange leds and the group of red leds at full brightness. The red leds dim when the brake is not depressed but still bright enough.

05-25-10_1716.jpg

This is the led board behind a lens that turned out to be the wrong color.
P5210081.JPG

Here's where they would be located. The color of the lens was supposed to be blue. Going to try a different dye color for my next attempt.

05-25-10_1856.jpg

Here's another lens color failure. The first is the brake light, center: just as running light (when there is 2.4 volts at tail light) right picture is running light with the turn signal lit.
rearlights.jpg

Installed the little black box in a cubby hole under the rear rack.
The blue lines are the path of the wire. The other two black wires in photo are for the led lights and will go to a connector mounted in the side panel.
P5280218.JPG

This is the wiring to the bike's lights for the control of group of leds.
I just pulled the rubber sleeve off and soldered wire to the connector for each light.

P5280221.JPG

It tested out okay so far. Just need to find a permanent power point, and mount the led panels. I put the hazard lights on and I think this picture is without the brake lights on. The running light brightness can be adjusted a little but I'll wait till I make the lens cover.

P5280224.JPG

I thought this would be the hardest part but turned out to be fairly easy. I attached the connectors between the side bag and mount then epoxy in place.
P5300236.JPG

Better shot of the connector mounted on bike. I just used some rubber laying around and some rivets. I punched the holes with a paper punch then used some silicone to glue it the plastic. after its dry I'll put some epoxy on the back side.
P5300223.JPG

This is the inside of the case where the connector extends into the cavity. I soldered the wires to the connector posts and taped the wire where it is out of the way from the shells of the case.
P5300234.JPG

Can the shells be separated?

I would like to get to the interior cavity of the side case lid. Is it glued in place never to be removed or is there a removal procedure?
The wire I'm running comes out the weep hole, green arrow, and will go into the weep hole for the lid, red arrow. I also need to drill mount holes for the light, blue arrows, and a small hole for the electrical wire.
I can just drill all the way thru the interior cavity and use longer screws to mount but I just thought there might be an easy way to separate.
P5310219.JPG

This is all I could find.

B0004007.png

Looks like you can only take the cover off.

Maybe you can go to beemer boneyard and see if you can get a case to dissect.

Great job by the way - like seeing the progression

Thanks Semper,

I gave up on removing the outer case shells and just drilled some oversized holes to get into the cavity. I'll see if I can find some tape to cover the holes.

P6120316.jpg

I'll drilled and tapped some mounting holes into the corners of the lens. Then mounted with some screws. Solder the three wires and push the excess into the weep hole where it is out of the way in the cavity.

P6120320.jpg

Well, its near the end of this project and its the time where I don't care if its done right I just want it done. I have failed too many times with the lenses. I just wanted to cast a dark blue or smoked colored lens, but the blue turned out to look like an aqua color, the yellow dye turned out to be more orange, The red dye, (I would of gone for a red lens too) turned out to look more like a florescent pink color and the black dye looked brown. I gave up on using color dye and just went with clear lens casting. Thought I could get some translucent paint and give that a try. The casting and the mold making I have given up on and just settled for it being done with the mistakes.
The last bit I need to do is to wire to a switched power source.

P6120321.jpg

Back