• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Slight scratches in windshield

Rtbluestreak

Quick question for anyone with experience in this area. My wife has a Cee Bailey windshield on her R1100R with some slight scratches in the top. I tried taking them out with Cee Baileys premium aircraft windshield cleaner and polish but to no avail. Does anybody know of some product that can remove slight scratches (not gouged in scratches)? Would a commercial buffing compound work or make it worse? Any help would be most appreciative.
Rtbluestreak:dunno

It works for me . . . . .

TOOTHPASTE!
I've used it on airplane windshields and motorcycle windshields. You have rub the hell out if it but it works.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
:thumb

I have had good luck with Blue Magic polish. It will not take out a gouge, but will put a shine back on the surface.

Scott

It depends on the depth of the scratches. I had success with fine sandpaper. I started with 600 then 90 degrees with a finer grade,alternating direction and finishing with 1500. When you finish with the sandpaper, the deep scratches will be gone and the very fine sandpaper scratches will rub out with polishing compound. I used a liquid, not a paste. If your scratches are not deep, by all means, try the less agressive methods first.

Removing Scratches

I was a glass worker for over 20 years and removed 1000's of scratches during
that time. The only way to completly remove a scratch is to remove the area
around the scratch. We used a pumice powder mixed with water on a 3 ft.
polishing wheel. Unless the scratch is extreamly slight, whether you try to take
it out with a liquid, paste,sandpaper, or whatever, if the scratch is gone, then
the area around where the scratch was will be distorted. Headlights hitting
that area at night may be more of a problem with the distortion than it would
with a small scratch. If it looks like you will have to be aggressive to get it out,
you may be better off just living with it.

Lemon Pledge furniture polish. Try it.
Not sure if it has to be lemon.:dunno

If it is just a real slight scratch, :scratch leave it alone because as as soon as a process that works is done, more will appear and you will need to do the removal process all over again. All this time could be spent riding and looking over the windshield. We all end up being way too concerned with small things that don't affect the journey with any major effects. :dance

Seriously. Novus #2 will take some time and effort but there will not be any distortion, further scratches, etc.

I use the Plexus cleaner that I buy at the local mc dealers. Works well & will cover small scratches. When travelling I always carry some with me & it won't yellow like some waxes will.

I would stay away from more aggressive measures as its been my experience I just make it worse.

Back