• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is it really that bad?

radrider

RadRider
I have been entertaining the idea of getting a K1300GT for about a year now but have been hearing and reading posts on the forums of the problems with this model. Am I just hearing the complaints drowning the praise for this bike?

Will I regret getting the K13GT?:help

I love my bike - it is absolutely awesome, does everything I want, go slow, go fast, go reallly fast, troddle, tour, quick store run, across the state blast, doesn't matter - just awesome.

I have had all 3 recalls, the brake fluid sponge, the turns signals and the stalling. - Warranty all.

If you get one now all the early stuff should either have been corrected by the dealer or corrected in production.

If you have not road tested one - you should - but be warned and bring your wallet :thumb

You are right! I test rode one at last summer's MOA rally and I didn't get one then since they weren't selling them there.:laugh

I would tend to believe that the post's you see are from people having problems, and come here for help, or to blow off some frustration. As with anything else, people tend to focus on the negative, and don't post positivitly when everything is going well!

Just think if you were to go to (picking one out of the air here) a Ford dealership and spent a week at the service department desk. You would think that Ford makes nothing but lemons, but you would never hear from the people who were very happy with their cars....

I've often marvled at Judges, and our police for this same reason. They routinely deal with the dregs of society on a daily basis. How in the world do they keep from becoming bitter toward people?

I think It's about the same senario.

Despite the fact mine is back in for some weird battery/alternator gremlin (which I'm sure they'll get sort out), I am in love with my K13GT. Its fast, comfortable, fast, has all the goodies, fast, lots of storaget...and did I mention bloody fast? You won't reget a new GT.

Bottom line is when you need help from BMWNA to cover some parts & labor that should of been covered and they are not. Or a dealer who does nothing to correct the problems before your warranty runs out - later to find out by another dealer that these parts should of been replaced under your waranty !! And BMWNA does not believe they have problems with parts - Air boxes,Final Drives, ect.
I'll leave it at that - Louis / Semper Fi knows my story - :mad
Ask yourself - Why is there so many problems with ONLY North American BMW's :scratch. When more BMW's are sold world wide without all these problems.

Count me in

I absolutely love mine. I have gone through both the shutdown and oil light problem. My local dealer (BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta) has been fantastic to work with, and both problems are resolved.

While annoying, both issues were minor - never leaving me stranded, or for that matter, even inconvenienced by a significant delay.

On the upside, the bike is awesome. Power is incredible. Handling great (spent time chasing some very experienced riders on "S" bikes, and the only limiting factor was the guy at the controls.

I would ABSOLUTELY purchase this bike again!

If you meet someone on the street- most likely they will tell you what is great.. 460 jet boat is correctamundo...

In a forum setting, I - and I know that I have.. have done the - THis thing left me- XXX with my windshield wiper missing..
People are going to complain more to their fellow brethren on whats bothering them than they are to say- MAN - WHAT A RIDE!... maybe its that sympathy gene..

One bike- left me on the road (RT) twice- throttle issues with an aftermarket cruise set up- only way I cured that was to remove it.. (DEaler).. Then the dreaded FD..

On the GS and LT- no problems, keep them maintained.. up....

SFKatz is spot on about the handling. I was up on the Dragon last fall after just getting mine, and I was running down sport bikes with my K13GT. They would pull away going into the corners, as the K doesn't turn in quite as quickly, but coming out I'd be right back in their tailpipes! Ended up passing more than a couple... :)

There are other Bikes out there for less money and better reliability. BMWNA has horrible warranty service, they look for reasons to deny warranty for known problems. I love BMW's but their attitude towards the customer is horrible and they don't seem to care.

I have been entertaining the idea of getting a K1300GT for about a year now but have been hearing and reading posts on the forums of the problems with this model. Am I just hearing the complaints drowning the praise for this bike?

Will I regret getting the K13GT?:help

I also love mine, even with the die-ing at idle thing,,,, It's fixed for now i'll see when its' hot out again

Last edited:
Happy I got it!

Just returned from 2000+ miles in 9 days. Bike was faultless. Except for the seat which really causes me a lot of pain (my boney behind I guess). Handles great, gets blown around in heavy cross winds, but no real dramas.

Had occasion to unleash the monster and was glad I had fully enagaged the nut holding the handlebars. My goodness - does it ever build speed in a hurry. I had to completely shut down almost 100 yards earlier than the Goldwing in front of me so that I wouldn't run into him. (Later discovered that he was WFO and I was only at about 7/8 throttle!!).

Love this bike - it is totally awesome!!!

quality control

My issue is with quality control some bikes seem a lot more trouble free than others and there is no way of telling them apart except by service records and what was done to them then. Mine has come up with some major issues every 10k or so, most fixed under warranty but one of those adventures had me waiting out in the rain in the boondocks for 7 hours until a tow arrived, no fun, trust me.

My goodness - does it ever build speed in a hurry. I had to completely shut down almost 100 yards earlier than the Goldwing in front of me so that I wouldn't run into him. (Later discovered that he was WFO and I was only at about 7/8 throttle!!).

Love this bike - it is totally awesome!!!

Yes it does have a tendency to become a land based cruise missle without working hard

I love my bike - it is absolutely awesome, does everything I want, go slow, go fast, go reallly fast, troddle, tour, quick store run, across the state blast, doesn't matter - just awesome.

I have had all 3 recalls, the brake fluid sponge, the turns signals and the stalling. - Warranty all.

If you get one now all the early stuff should either have been corrected by the dealer or corrected in production.

If you have not road tested one - you should - but be warned and bring your wallet :thumb

So my 08 RT will be left at the dealership when I test ride the K1300GT? I need to know, maybe I'll have someone drop me off so I can't easily trade her in.

[Ask yourself - Why is there so many problems with ONLY North American BMW's :scratch. When more BMW's are sold world wide without all these problems.[/QUOTE]

One reason is Europe and USA are slightly different bikes. Some parts are different and engine management different. I've been test riding for an American company for 4 years and I have tested the European version of the same bike. They are different. European bikes have slightly different problems.

I love my K1300GT almost 13000mi since dec and only fault is cruise decel sw. The bike is one of the finest made. Suspension, engine, power, fuel milage 48-52, 150mph plus top end, options mostly standard, headlight the best, luggage size and off on ability, elec windshield, heat management since I live in Phoenix and ride in 105-110 deg heat. At 32 in winter great protection from cold, who else has traction control, abs, no fuses, cad bus, heated seats, heated grips, tire pressure monitors, engine management to handle all fuels, 18000mi service, 6000mi oil change, telelever paralever for superior handeling, 50-50 balance of bike weight???? This is a comfortable sport touring bike. Now can anthing compare? BUT IF I use my emotions I would not be thinking on my logical side and I might go with antiquainted engineering.

Former K1100RS owner (currently on a '09 Kaw Concours) thinking of a new K1300S.

Lemme' tell you that many new bikes have their problems. The 1400GTR Concours has BIG keyless ignition problems (KIPass), lots of warped rotors plus misc electrical gremlins.

Last edited:
K1300gt

Put 60,000 miles on my 07GT in 2 years. No problems. Really did not want to buy a K13 but I wanted the K16 even less. Got the "Exclusive Editon" ( I know, I know) and took a 6000 mile break-in run. Everything that the K12 was and more. Unless you need(?) what the K16 offers, you should consider the K13 (IMHO). Whatever you do will be the right thing! Glenn.

Back