• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any interest in a great ride led by local Oregon riders?

JohnRBeeson

The Oregon club, BMW Riders of Oregon, are looking at leading some rides through some great local roads. They would be smaller groups of about 10 bikes, maybe 3-4 groups spaced about half hour apart. The route we are looking at would be about 6 hours of bike time. Because of the length of the ride we would do this on Friday. This ride will take you down a locals favorite, very seldom used road.

Basic details: This is an ALL PAVED route. Redmond east to Prineville. From Prineville we turn SE on the Post-Paulina Road. We then follow a series of paved roads to Hwy 395 just south of John Day Oregon. The road has some twisties, beautiful sweepers, and some wide, wide open highway thru ranching country. This is a little known, little used, GREAT motorcycle road. Lunch and gas in John Day. Then back west to Redmond on Hwy 26, another great MC road with great scenery. Three hours out, lunch, three hours back.

So I'm just looking to see if there is much interest in a ride like this. It will be limited to 30-40 riders in 3-4 groups. It will not be a speed run but we won't dawdle either. I promise that it's a great ride thru great countryside.

Look at the thread from BobsST http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=43698 May of these pictures were taken along this route.

Lets see a show of hands of anyone interested in doing this.

Thanks,
John B.

I'm fairly certain we are going to do this ride. We just wanted to get some idea if there was any interest. Starting to look like there is.

We will get the sign up organized and let people know. Give it a week or so to get rolling.

John B.

I'm not normally a big "group ride" guy. However...

I like what you're doing- smaller groups, spaced apart. That should go a long way toward avoiding my main objection to group rides- the "accordian" effect.

Redmond will be my third MOA National. As usual, it's shaping up to have a lot more opportunities than I have time, so I'll probably not be joining you.

Good luck with the rides, anyway!:thumb

Definitely Great Plan

I am absolutely up for this and will be riding with a new MOA member (signed because of the chance to win a S1000RR) on his Yamaha FJR1300.

My wife took one look at the pictures and ....
Count us in. Let me know if I need to sign up or something...???:dunno
Thanks.

P.S. Who is John Day?

Intersest

I would be interested in a ride led by locals.

Also, curious if cruising over to Florence (the coastal view) is worth the ride. Figuring if I road that far I might as well go all the way to the ocean. Thoughts? :wave

Absolutely. Make a nice loop of it. RT126 from Eugene over to Florence. then north on 101 to Waldport takes you past Heceta Head lighthouse and Cape Perpetua with some jaw-dropping scenery along here. Say "hello" to the mighty Pacific Ocean! When you get to Walport take RT34 back west toward Corvallis. Look for the turnoff for Mary's Peak as you crest the hill. The ride up and down Mary's Peak is a worthwhile side trip offering great views of the coastal mountains. While this loop can be run in the opposite direction, taking it the way I've described offers the best views. Be advised, it can be hot and sunny in the valleys while cold and foggy along the coast.

Back