• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How Long until Delivery.

For example, could their be a better public relations gesture than for a senior executive at BMW, after having been made aware of this thread by subordinates assigned to monitor social media, to make a personal call to the original poster to apologize for the order delay and offering an expedited solution? If this or anything like it happens, however, I'll be surprised. Instead, BMW will likely just remain aloof, seemingly not care, let the problem fester and, ultimately, contribute even more to their reputation for bad customer service.
That actually does happen on occasion - but how would you have the BMW-Motorrad representative contact the OP. He would have no name, no location, nothing to identify the chap by except the user ID "14348"

I suspect they would need a bit more then that to go on..

That actually does happen on occasion - but how would you have the BMW-Motorrad representative contact the OP. He would have no name, no location, nothing to identify the chap by except the user ID "14348"

How?

By having an intern at BMW NA looking at pending orders on a regular basis (not reviewing forums like this one) and going into action based on a certain expectation threshold. Lets say management sets a 90 day threshold. When an order reaches the 90-day mark (in, lets say, a current 60-day delivery environment), they contact the dealer, then if necessary, the customer, to update them on why there is a delay and what to expect.

As a saleperson, for BMW, I constantly receive notifications from our representative that there is a potential customer (someone who has visited a BMW site and indicates they want to be contacted). Of course this is to sell them something, not to help them understand a process or other out-of-the-ordinary problem(s).

I have to agree. If BMW can follow up on someone who checks an online box, stating they might want to purchase a bike in the next 12 months, they should damn well be able to check an already pending (money no doubt on deposit) order list. Appears to be a misunderstanding of fundamental customer service concepts on BMW's part, given such a situation.

Than again, if OP is following up with dealer on same level of openness and detail as he is here...no wonder there's a communication gap.

Well, that's a legitimate problem for BMW, of course. And I have no idea about the specifics of this particular problem other than what's been said here. My comments were really meant to be less about that and more about what seems, from the outside looking in, to be BMW Motorrad's corporate culture of not being particularly customer-centric.

It seems especially puzzling to me given that they pay a good deal of attention to protecting and developing the integrity of their visual brand yet pay seemingly little attention to branding as it relates to end-customer satisfaction and general public perception of BMW Motorrad being a customer-oriented organization.

For a company more dependent than most on upscale image and customer loyalty, this seems like a strategic flaw. Companies whose internal cultures are more customer-centric pay a good deal more attention to developing internal processes that, first, head off common and/or recurrent sorts of customer complaints before they have a chance to fester and, second, actively and aggressively tackle the one-off problems as they arise in order to maintain and foster a reputation of being responsive to their family of loyal customers. This just does not seem to be a priority for BMW.

OK so you get ahold of BMWNA with your problem, then they tune up the dealer. The dealer will figure out who went over their head, and you are going to get treated like crap. What recourse do you have?

JON

And do we know if the original dealer actually placed the order? I don't.

With the limited info we have - we have very little in the way of factual info to base criticism of what BMW-Motorrad has or hasn't done. We do have indications that for some reason or another (and we don't know why) - the dealer isn't busting their nut to satisfy the original poster.

Bashing anyone - BMW/Motorrad, the BMW dealer, the OP is simply Interwebz speculation at this point.

I have dealt with this dealer for almost 20 years - they are VERY customer oriented. However, (there is always a however isn't there). There have been for years a problem between the dealer and BMWNA. Now it's come down to the fact that myself and others have placed deposits on bikes with this dealer, and BMWNA doesn't want to fill the orders. I have been told to go to another dealer by BMWNA. The dealer has reviewed what's in the warehouse, and there isn't a bike with the options I've asked for. Further, I've been told by a couple of other BMW dealers they are reluctant to do dealer trades on the GS Adventure because BMW wants to limit the production on the 2010 model, and they don't know if they can get enough to satisfy their own customers needs.

I'm fairly easy to get along with, and have called BMWNA. Like I said, I was told specifically the first time that I called, that if I wanted the particular model, to, "Buy it from another dealer." End of conversation, have a nice day. The 2nd time I called, I was informed that "Production had been stopped on the R1200GS Adventure, and I would have to take what ever bike they had in inventory." That was in early April. It wasn't until after I said, "Well, before I do that, I'll buy brand X or brand Y from the dealer. At least I know that Brand X and Brand Y supports this dealer."

I guess it's all a moot point, the bike is "...supposedly coming off the production line June 2 or 4, and should be shipped to the US in July." Well, so much for planning any vacation time...

Ok, fair enough - now for the rub - the very next day (May 7), a 20yr old blond twink driving her mommy's Cadillac Sedan Deville decided to defy the laws of physics, and have said Caddy occupy the same space I was occupying on my 2001 R1100SLA. The S was destroyed, and I was pretty well bruised up. The right cylinder literally save me from massive crushing injuries to my right leg. Fire Rescue, EMS, and the local PD were amazed I was alive. She made a left hand turn from the center lane of a 3 lane one-way street. Only problem is, she was flapping her jaws on her cell phone, wasn't paying attention to the fact that I was in the left hand lane next to her. Bystanders were saying "Wow, I saw it happen, I don't believe he's alive." To which I retorted, "Sorry to disappoint you that I'm not dead, now excuse me while I call my wife."

Not that any of this makes a **** bit of difference. I guess bad luck just follows me. For what it's worth, my tag 14348 is my BMWMOA membership number from when I joined the MOA in 1978.

End of story - end of thread - I appreciate everyone's comments, and fully understand and appreciate that the "OP" is an ******* and must be his fault he can't get BMW to deliver a bike without waiting 7 months.

End of story - end of thread - I appreciate everyone's comments, and fully understand and appreciate that the "OP" is an ******* and must be his fault he can't get BMW to deliver a bike without waiting 7 months.
I'll have to respect your opinion on the OP.. :laugh as I said - I felt we didn't know enough to really form any opinions. (Tongue firmly in cheek..)

As far as it being your fault - the only "fault" I can see is you have remained loyal to a dealer with a troubled relationship with BMW.

I don't actually see that as a fault, but it does present you with the dilemma of seeking another dealer if you wanted the bike more quickly, or accepting that it was going to take some time if you wanted this specific bike from this specific dealer.

Damn shame about your SLA.. Glad to hear you weren't injured.

With the limited info we have - we have very little in the way of factual info to base criticism of what BMW-Motorrad has or hasn't done.
We certainly don't have both sides of the story, but taking the original poster at his word, he contacted BMW of North America several times without receiving the explanations, appreciation or treatment he felt entitled to as a BMW customer.

Again, taking him at his word, this constitutes not one, but a series of customer-service/marketing failures and missed opportunities. Whether it was the dealer, BMWNA or both, doesn't matter — the outcome is the same: an upset customer who feels shafted, dissed and underappreciated by BMW and who is sharing his frustration with a forum full of BMW customers and potential customers (their prime demographic group).

From my experience and observation, BMW's customer service isn't terrible — it's just that it's painfully average and unexceptional. These sorts of stories, like the one from 14348, are just all too common. BMW is an upscale brand built around an image of quality. Public perceptions of only average customer service undermines their brand's reputation. Based on both my own experience and paying attention to the experiences of others over the past year, for some inexplicable reason, BMW seems just a bit oblivious to this basic marketing principle, and I find that baffling.

Last edited:
I reverse myself to an extent. BMWNA did tell this OP what was going on during his first contact with them. Appears they told him to run - run to a different dealer!

BMW isn't going to tell him the exact reason for them saying - run, but if it were me they wouldn't have to. Makes sense they'd have self imposed limits on what they'll say about their distribution network. I know one dealer, right now, who can't get bikes or parts from BMW without paying, in full, up front. This dealer might be in the same boat...instead of telling potential customers about such a situation, they just keep going through the motions of securing a unit. Would keep what reputation they have (had) in place, for at least a while longer.

Hope posting your limited detailed (one side of the) story, gets the bike to you eventually...and you heal 100%.

Remember 1981?

The first anniversary edition 1200GS just arrived at out dealer here in Tampa...Good looking bike, although the red seat takes some getting used to...now if they would just get their first new Multistrada in...

The very first G/S came with a "red" seat. I found it distinctive.:brow

it's in transit

i was called today with a VIN number and told it was "in transit" - so, i guess i'll have it mid-july :brad

i know it's worth the wait, but it's been frustrating as hell...:dunno

looking back, part of the delay was BMWNA's refusal initially to accept the order even after the dealer had called numerous times and i called twice...:banghead:scratch

then the recall of 120,000 i'm sure caused another delay...

and but of course, the 30th anniversary editions had to come off the line for all those of you that just have to have a "limited edition" model (a couple decals and a red seat with embroidery - woohoo)...:scratch

ok, all sarcasm aside it's almost here - i'll miss both major BMW Rally's but then again, i rarely go to them (i don't care for crowds unless i'm at a football game)...

:violin

Hey all: did anyone notice that the dealer he is using is a multi-brand dealer? I have been told that BMW has "issues" with those dealers who would dirty up there floor space with "off brands". Any truth to this that anyone knows of? Interesting..... Vaya con Dios, Dutch

BMW is happy with any dealer that can "push" their products out the door and order more.

There are many dealers selling BMW motorcycles that are multi-line dealers. Columbus, Ohio has two dealers and both are multi-line. Grand Junction, Colorado was last time I was there - Portland, Or. is - both dealers in Indiana are multi-line, Wooster, Ohio - Sarasota, Florida - Beaver Dam, Wisconsin - Nashville, Tennesse - Los Angeles, California - Barrington, Illinois and there are many, many more.

BMW doesn't care, as long as the dealer(s) in question moves bikes, reorders and pays his account. They and we are way beyond the days of being exclusive for exclusive sake....the goal now is to remain solvent and send money to the mother ship.

Back