• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

suggestions for super protective riding gloves

P

peacetoall

Hello.

Would like to get yout thoughts / suggestions:
I am searching for gloves with a premium on safety and comfort. Kinda decided on the full gauntlet design.
Just received the Phantom Held gloves $249 from sportbiketrackgear.com
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=2014
video is very convincing but for the price, they don't have the quality I expected and are going back.
I am willing to spend the necessary amount for the very best protection possible. Any thoughts or suggestions on this subject?

thanx

Hello.

Would like to get yout thoughts / suggestions:
I am searching for gloves with a premium on safety and comfort. Kinda decided on the full gauntlet design.
Just received the Phantom Held gloves $249 from sportbiketrackgear.com
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=2014
video is very convincing but for the price, they don't have the quality I expected and are going back.
I am willing to spend the necessary amount for the very best protection possible. Any thoughts or suggestions on this subject?

thanx

I've spent high and I've spent low...

I've used these and they're very comfortable and they seem to be well made - for nearly $200 they should be:

http://www.aerostich.com/off-and-riding/gloves/luxury-cowhide-summer-gloves.html

However, I'm not sure if you've ever put gloves to the test in a crash, but I had the mother of all high-sides many years ago on a CBRR and landed on my left hand, which got trapped underneath me and the glove subsequently was ground up quite a bit. The moral of my story is my gloves were simple cow hide and they cost about US$35 - the left one was toast, but my precious hand wasn't even scratched! Spending $$$ doesn't always equal "the best".

I hope you find what works best for your type of riding!

Rob

I've been wearing AlpineStars SP-2s for several years. They held up so well in a 100 mph crash at the track that I didn' reven have to replace them.

I'm kinda surprised you're unhappy with the quality of the Held gloves. I had a pair of Held Steve gloves that served me well for 5 years before the stitching started to wear. Wonder if their quality has slipped?

Love my Held Phantoms, not sure what you saw, but I have heard no complaints of Quality of late. They vent very well, which is important on a full coverage glove, and have a lot od features like the shark skin sliders etc.

A few years back, when they started to farm out production they had a few problems, but they were addressed in a timely fashion from what I heard.

I'm surprised too. I've had Held gloves for over 10 years and wouldn't ride with anything else. What size are they?

Love my Held Phantoms, not sure what you saw, but I have heard no complaints of Quality of late. They vent very well, which is important on a full coverage glove, and have a lot od features like the shark skin sliders etc.

A few years back, when they started to farm out production they had a few problems, but they were addressed in a timely fashion from what I heard.

The Held Phantoms seem to have a very good reputation amongst people who race and they rave about its crash protection.

The one that I received is made in Hungary and the craftmanship was subpar (double layering was imprecise / protection on top of the finger not centered correctly). For $249, that is unacceptable, though the materials used appear high quality.

Much rather prefer going and trying out a pair before purchasing but in Memphis TN, Cycle Gear www.cyclegear.com seems to be the main/major shop for motorcycle gear. The selection in the store is limited compared to what is available on the website and high end gloves are not avail in the store.

What about this SPS (scaphoid protection system)? A company called Knox came up with it and a few other companies are licensing it to use it in their own products; a gimmick?

Alpinestar / Dainese seems over priced but that is just a novice opinion

Any particular brand, glove model or web store that you prefer?

thanx

Aamir

p.s. With regards to "crash testing" I have no experience and I am thanking my lucky stars :)

I'm surprised too. I've had Held gloves for over 10 years and wouldn't ride with anything else. What size are they?

The Held phantom that I ordered is a size 8 in black.

They fit very well except my pinkie is small for the glove which is something that is common for me

Held gloves are some of the finest and most protective you can buy. Lots of racers use them. Many models use Kangaroo leather for the palms because it's exceptionally tough, yet thin and pliable. Helds are the only gloves I wear. Never had a problem.

Held gloves are some of the finest and most protective you can buy. Lots of racers use them. Many models use Kangaroo leather for the palms because it's exceptionally tough, yet thin and pliable. Helds are the only gloves I wear. Never had a problem.

What do you like about them?
Which model are you using, where did you buy them and how much did you pay?

Thanx

I wouldn't wear 'em, but to me, any of those gloves with the plastic over the knuckles look like they'd provide excellent protection if you landed with the tops of your hands on the tarmac... I agree that gloves afford a certain amount of protection in an accident, but I also wear them because they cushion my paws against the grips...wouldn't ride without 'em tho...

What do you like about them?
Which model are you using, where did you buy them and how much did you pay?

Thanx

My first Held 7 years ago was the "J?Ârg" model - named after a German racer. Now I have the "Steve" which is very similar. I love the fit and design (no seams on the inside where hand and fingers grip the throttle). Gloves are designed with a curve in them so that the inside does not bunch up as the fingers curl. All seams are double stitched - never had stitching break. Thumb base has rivets on it for extra wear protection. Left index finger has built-in rubber wiper to wipe your face shield.
The "Steve" cost about $130 on sale (3 yrs ago) - I bought two pairs so I'm covered for a while. Worth every penny. I bought them at Foothills BMW in Denver.

For winter riding I have the "Narvik". Warm but thick - needed a bit longer to break in and get comfortable.

Hope this helps!

Have you looked at the BMW range of gloves? I have 5 different pair, and cant complain about any of them.
Bought 4 pair off Ebay for a huge saving(all new gloves). Only got the GS gloves new from dealer.

I have a set of Held Akira race gloves and like the build quality and materials used. Maybe you had a bad pair. The Akira's were very $$ too, but so far are holding up well with about 3 years of riding with them.
A friend of mine went down a few weeks back and her $200 gloves were shredded resulting in her getting stitches. I think the Akira's would have faired much better as there are rivets in the palm area preventing the tarmac from gripping and thus ripping the palms wide open.
I would look for palms made out of one piece of leather with reinforcement sewn on top. Here glove palms were made up of differnt pieces and that is why, IMHO, they failed as the stitches didn't hold up..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCMUasNerV4

I have a set of Held Akira race gloves and like the build quality and materials used. Maybe you had a bad pair. The Akira's were very $$ too, but so far are holding up well with about 3 years of riding with them.
A friend of mine went down a few weeks back and her $200 gloves were shredded resulting in her getting stitches. I think the Akira's would have faired much better as there are rivets in the palm area preventing the tarmac from gripping and thus ripping the palms wide open.
I would look for palms made out of one piece of leather with reinforcement sewn on top. Here glove palms were made up of differnt pieces and that is why, IMHO, they failed as the stitches didn't hold up..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCMUasNerV4

I'm not a big fan of Held.

I bought a pair of Held Steve gloves a year ago or so. At first, they were awesome when it came to comfort and the protection looked looked like it would work just fine. Unfortunately they pretty much fell apart before I had them a year. The stitching around the ends of the fingers unraveled.

Back