• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Auxilliary Light Install KGT

OK several things happend here:

1 - once I had the PIAA Light mount installed, I installed the PIAA Light.

NOTE 1 - the PIAA Mount is plastic and Jimmy Mount is metal - you can easily crush the PIAA Mount when tightening - I did it to hand tightness using a 1/4 drive ratchet and socket set up for the nut; while holding the screw in place with the trimmed down 4mm allen wrench.

2 - once the light mount was on the Jimmy Mount, I mounted the Jimmy Mount to the bike using the replacement hardware - again tightening hand tight.

NOTE 2 - this is just temporary as the mirrors still need to be installed. This assembly configuration will allow you to wire the system in place without the mirrors being in the way

3 - repeated the same excercise for the throttle side.

Attachments

• 17 - mounted on bike.jpg
    17 - mounted on bike.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Wiring Harness Prep

Here is the second opportunity to void your warranty!

The wire harness has been supplied with plenty of length - it will be up to the person installing if they want to cut to fit or deal with the excess by dressing it into the bike.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

This install is taking into consideration that I have a fuse panel; therefore I will be removing the supplied fuse - green arrow.

If you do not have a fuse panel you have to leave the fuse on.

Attachments

• 21 - wiring 1.jpg
    21 - wiring 1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Here are the connectors to the lights - if you left them on - these stay, else like I did remove them.

Attachments

• 22 - wiring 2.jpg
    22 - wiring 2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 279
This section of the harness comprises of the on/off switch and the white trigger wire for the PIAA Relay - needs to be connected to 12V.

Attachments

• 23 - wiring 3.jpg
    23 - wiring 3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 279
As stated earlier I plan to integrate the PIAA lights thru my Centech Fuse Panel.

I have substituted the previously installed 10 A fuse with a 20 A fuse (yellow arrow). I also put in the fuse "upside down" for ease of reference when the Centech Panel cover is installed.

This is where the power side of the PIAA lights will be connected.

The Blue Arrow is showing where the White Trigger wire for the PIAA relay will connect.

NOTE - if your aux light system needs to be toggled off when the high beam is on - this location is where the power will be tapped. Post 46 is the start of installing a High Beam Shut Off

Attachments

• 24 - centech.jpg
    24 - centech.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
The main power (white) and ground (Black) wires for the lights are shown connected to the Centech.

Attachments

• 26 - power installed.jpg
    26 - power installed.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 281
This is where I mounted my PIAA controller switch - wish I could take credit for its position but i can't as I stole it from a riding buddy.

NOTE - The PIAA switch has an LED indicator (seen under the PIAA silk-screened text on the switch) and their convention is GREEN for OFF, RED for ON. Takes bit to get used to......:lurk

Attachments

• 26A - Piaa Switch Mount.jpg
    26A - Piaa Switch Mount.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 285
Routing of switch wiring thru the handlebar section - yellow arrow

Attachments

• 26B - Piaa Switch Mount.jpg
    26B - Piaa Switch Mount.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 285
Shown by the dotted green line is where the main wire harness is run.

As the harness approaches the left (clutch side) mirror the harness needs to split to go to the right (throttle side)

Attachments

• 27 - harness lay out.jpg
    27 - harness lay out.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 287
Shown with the Green Arrows is where I placed supporting zip ties to run the throttle side light harness power.

My finger is pointing to the actual harness.

Attachments

• 28 - harness layout 2.jpg
    28 - harness layout 2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 283
Shown is the approximate amount of "extra" harness available to the throttle side light - based on how I am showing how to wire.

Attachments

• 29 - h3.jpg
    29 - h3.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 261
Shown here is the wire harness dressing in process.

The Green Arrow is pointing to main harness to the lights

The Yellow Arrow is for the power switch harness.

The White Arrow is showing the mounting and placement of the PIAA relay.

Attachments

• 30 - h4.jpg
    30 - h4.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
The highlighted bracket is used in the mounting of the Clutch Side Body Panel

The wire harness MUST be located BELOW this bracket.

As in the next view.

Attachments

• 33 - reroute location.jpg
    33 - reroute location.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 262
The wire harness properly routed to prevent interference with the side body panel

Attachments

• 34 - correctly routed.jpg
    34 - correctly routed.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 263
Light Assembly Wiring Prepation

Here I am getting ready to connect the light harness to the lights.

I am using a piece of shrink tubing so that it provides a better presentation.

1. Place shrink tube thru hole of mount
  2. Insert wire harness thru shrink tube
  3. Cut harness to appropiate length
  4. Make electrical connections of the wire harness to the light wiring
  5. Pull harness back thru heat shrink until heat shrink is close to the back of the light
  6. Heat heat-shrink
    NOTE - use heat gun on low setting and put a piece of cardboard behind the shrink-tube and front of the bike to protect the paint
  7. Temporarily mount light to mount
  8. Repeat for other side

Attachments

• 35 - AR1.jpg
    35 - AR1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Back