• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

REI Sale Has Items for Motorcyclists

racer7

REI is running a sale May 21-31 with some good prices on items of interest to motorcyclists
eg
JetBoil PCS $65
Marmot Limelight 2 Tent $130
Marmot Limelight 3 Tent $169 (I have used one for two weekend trips including a wet one and like it a lot. It is not as fast to throw up as a Catoma but packs much smaller. Marmots are better made than comparable Eureka items, for example)
Polyester T shirts $20 similar to assorted items advertised in BMW ON

Lots of other outdoor gear and clothing

I noticed that they have some of the lightweight travel clothes on sale. These pack down to about 1/3rd the size of normal jeans and T shirts, and they wick persperation and dry very quickly. They're great under a riding suit.

Racer, I just looked at their website, and could not find the Marmot limelight 2.

Where did you get this info about the sale??

Thanks,

I plan to be at the door to pick up a Limelight 2, excellent deal and includes a footprint for the advertised price. I expect each store was stocked with an inventory for the sales event.

Bokrijder

I'll just repeat my preference for the 3 person version. Doors and vestibules on both sides give better ventilation and easier acess to items stored inside, its slightly larger, otherwise the same materials and construction. Packs down smaller than my foam mattress and nearly as small as the 2 person. The 3 person allows removal of all bike gear to the tent for storage without cramping sleeping room at all. Handy for lightening the bike when going for a mountain ride at a rally, for example.

Even when the website shows a shortage, my local store always has both in stock and REI stores typically have room so you can set up any tent that interests you- no need to buy without trying....

I second the comments on lightweight synthetic stuff for travel. Aside from a pair of canvas pants for cool nights, everything I carry is synthetic.

In the interest of continuing to downsize my stuff, I recently replaced a very good Aerostich fleece with a Roadgear jacket that uses phase change material. I lke it a lot for cool nights and even for supplementing my lightweight sleeping bag when the temps go way down. About 1/2 the volume of the Aerostich but a bit pricey...The Aerostich has become my car and around town jacket...

I'll agree with Racer, for biking definitely go with the 3 person version. I'll be using the 2 person version as an elk hunting spike tent.

Bokrijder

thanks all for the tip(s)! I lost my tent in the divorce. :nono so just picked up the limelight 3 - marmot stuff rocks unreasonably hard!

now I just gotta plan some trips!
:buds

-tp

Well I went I used my 20% coupon at the Rancho Cucamonga store today. They were crowded and it was only Friday. If you were thinking of going, then I would hit them up this weekend, before their floor stock gets too low. (One of the items I bought was limited to the floor display item)

Got the 2-man tent they had on sale, last one on the floor. Now I get to test it out this weekend. We may have one day of T-storms so it should get a good wet weather testing. Hopefully this will be the last tent i buy for awhile as this is the third attempt to find one big enough on the inside but small enough on the "outside" i.e. when packed.

RM

Can't wait to try it out

After my a weekend of mopping out my trusty 12 year old Sierra Designs Omega CD tent during heavy rains on the BRP two weekends ago, I was looking for a new tent. Received the REI sales flyer in the mail and headed to my local store in Glenn Allen, VA. Looked at both the Marmot Limelight 3 and the Mountain Hardware Light Wedge 3, which the sales rep set up in the store. Both are great tents, but went with the Marmot. $20 less and included gear loft and fitted ground sheet; extras for the Mountain Hardware. Can't wait to try it out. Also used 20% off coupon to get the GSI Ketalist cook set http://www.rei.com/product/798276 (regular $29.95) which includes a nested 1 liter kettel, bowl, insulated cup, and collapsable sporok. Light weight, small size, and good for those 1 cup meals.

options

I have been considering a GPS for the BMW. Checked all the listed dealers per the Garmin site and am finding the best deal with J & R. I am hoping to confirm the rebate is valid from them. Save a few $$ for another farkle :)

I have an 09 RT. Any experience on a good mount? I was in my local dealer and they have a nice minimalist mount (above the dash) from BMW but one of the guys said it only works on the 10, but he has a 550, not sure if it will work with a 660 (smaller top to bottom foot print). :wow

I have been considering a GPS for the BMW...{snip}...Any experience on a good mount?...{snip}

I think the sturdiest mount may be the BMR Products' co-pilot shelf and the BMR GPS mount. Stock photo:

shelf_4.jpg

Pricey, but you can securely mount just about anything to it with all the options that are available. Good folks at BMR, too! :thumb

You may also want to look into the Wunderlich Navigator GPS mount. It is quite sturdy for a Zumo or Nuvi package and (IMHO) places the GPS at an ideal viewing position. Here's a stock photo:

8600887g.jpg

More about the Wunderlich Mount in THIS thread. I am very happy with the outcome.

Back