• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K12S Fixation

mypetersahn

MyPetersahn
OK--I've had a K11LT and now have an R1150RT. I found a cherry, used K1200S that I have become infatuated with. Probably a common affliction.

Anyone gone from a touring/sport touring model to something like the S? While it's not as ergonomically challenged as your run-of-the-mill repli-racer, its still a far cry from the RT/LT seating position.

I do some LD riding on occasion, but I know the FJR is one of the most popular LD rides out there and it doesn't seem like the seating position is all THAT different from the S.

I would imagine bar-backs would be in order, but beyond that . . .?

Anyone have experience experience with a similar transition; am I nuts?

Thanks in advance,

JEP

JEP... Can just mention I've owned an '05 K12S since buying it new five years ago. It is an outstanding bike. Have had zero issues with it, and find it comfy for long haul rides. It doesn't have sit upright ergos, but the lean forward is relaxed enough that I find it some times, if not oft times, is more accomodating for longer rides. Many ride the K12S across times zones. If you're flexible, and find you are a good fit with the K12S, I imagine you also can find yourself going far on it.

Rode a 05 RT...have a GSA now...also a K12S that to me is as comfortable on long hauls as the RT was...except no cruise or adjustable windshield...but the fun factor more than makes up for that. My SO liked mine so much, she got one as well now...her daily rider WAS her 1150R...now she is 50/50 on ride choices...it is addicting!

The seating position is more relaxed than a 1100S. I can ride the 12S for days across time zones as sfarson mentioned...the 11S is more of my Sunday sport ride...BTW for reference...53 and a tad over 6' ,the ergos are fine for me...and for Helen at 5'7 and more than a tad younger:D Her only change was to Synto levers for smaller hands.

When I get tired of traffic that my GSA can't pass..I'll jump on the K1200S to release my frustrations..and when I want some 'Chick Magnet' fun, I'll ride the URAL:clap:clap

Like someone said: "...cant ride but one at a time.."

Regards,

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.

JEP... I'd been lusting after a K1200S since they came out but just could not talk myself into making the transition from the K1100LT (and previously rode K100RTs). Having had back surgery some 11 years ago, I was concerned about the seating position. My knees wanted to lock up too after even a brief ride on a K1200S. Last summer I took a demo on a K1300S (lust factor x100) and ended up buying it. I too like to do long rides. After 4,000 miles my observations:

-my back handles the riding position just fine

-my right wrist gets painful but a Throttlemeister helped reduce that considerably.

-the sidebags are useless but look good on the bike. I could store some clothes in them but tent, sleeping bag, shoes, helmet, laptop are not an option. Its a very unattractive (think buffalo's butt) look to expand the sidebags, and there still isn't room for all but the smallest tent and sleeping bag - helmet is still out, though a netbook might fit.

-I have yet to find a topcase solution but am working on retrofitting the Givi K1200S mount to the K1300S which, combined with the sidebags, ought to make it a good touring machine.

-My knees tolerate the K1300S position better than the K1200S, either the seat is higher, the pegs lower, or a combination of the two. I do need to stop every 4-5 hours and stretch a bit, but its not painful.

-I had bar backs on a K1100LT (came with it), I took them off, I didn't like how it changes the "feedback". I do not want to change the K1300S at all.

-Good fuel range in the area of 200 miles a tank (depends heavily upon how you ride and highway vs backroads).

-I kept the K1100LT because it's outfitted to pull a small camper, I'd never consider doing that on the S.

Overall, I'm loving the hell out of riding this bike! Take the plunge... ya know ya want to. Do it! Just do it, do it, do it ;)

-the sidebags are useless but look good on the bike. I could store some clothes in them but tent, sleeping bag, shoes, helmet, laptop are not an option. Its a very unattractive (think buffalo's butt) look to expand the sidebags, and there still isn't room for all but the smallest tent and sleeping bag - helmet is still out, though a netbook might fit.

:stick As friends have mentioned to me..."Friends don't let friends camp on a S":laugh:laugh:laugh...

I'll carry a ton of stuff on the GSA ... but, a good H2W bag is all I need on the S cause I am staying at the hotel!

One of our clubmates modified the Givi mounts for an 800S to mount nice Givi sidecases to his K12S...it was in the MOA magazine a few months back...have to dig the issue out to recall which one. They look really slick on the bike! I don't care for the expanded accordion look of the stockers either...brings me back to the year our mom signed us up for lessons...POLKA time:groovy...NOT!

:stick As friends have mentioned to me..."Friends don't let friends camp on a S":laugh:laugh:laugh...

I'll carry a ton of stuff on the GSA ... but, a good H2W bag is all I need on the S cause I am staying at the hotel!

One of our clubmates modified the Givi mounts for an 800S to mount nice Givi sidecases to his K12S...it was in the MOA magazine a few months back...have to dig the issue out to recall which one. They look really slick on the bike! I don't care for the expanded accordion look of the stockers either...brings me back to the year our mom signed us up for lessons...POLKA time:groovy...NOT!

Well... I like to camp, and I like my thermarest, Kermit chair, etc. Where there's a will... ;)

I will have to check the back issues, admittedly I have not had time to read any of them since about last October. I'd like to see the bags on an S, Givi and their dealers have very few photos and the rare ones I've seen are not too flattering (but they are not on an S either). I think a 52L topcase and the BMW sidebags and a bag strapped across the passenger seat (just like how I loaded the K11) ought to work just fine :)

Here is a pic of the K13S loaded up for the WI Dells rally last Fall. Two side bags and two of the older H2W bags strapped on and I managed the tent, thermarest, sleeping bag, kermit chair, but no laptop. A Givi topcase will reduce at least 1 H2W bag if not both, and give a nice secure place for the laptop/netbook :)

K13Scamping.jpg

Hey JEP...sorry about the hijack...but you do need to pull the trigger...you won't regret it!:clap :deal

Love your 13S!...Helen saw a new one like it on the showroom floor last Saturday and her eyes started glazing over...I had to pull her away...for now:D

The Givi sidecase article is by Harry Burney and in the May 2009 issue. I chased him thru Colorado and saw no clearance issues in some really steep lean-ins.

My bike looked like yours going to the 100,000 foot ride in Colorado last summer. I had tools tire repair, first aid kit in one sidecase...raingear and warm stuff in the other side. I actually was able to fit a tiny Acer laptop in the H2W bag surrounded by fluffy things!

Another buddy had a Hepco Becker topcase on his S and no sidecases...in the first pic, Harry's Givi cases are on the front bike

610412280_qcwMv-M.jpg

610407187_sRv7z-M.jpg

Now back to our originally scheduled programming!:brow

Wow! Thanks for all the good gouge. All of your comments are right on track as to what I was looking for.

Unfortunately, I haven't worked up to a "stable" yet; however, I seem to be of the same mind as most of you: a GS, an S an LT or RT and yes, I have a soft spot for the Ural too.

I'm in the middle of a tranfser right now and have residences in Memphis and in Northern Virginia--my RT is in VA and I'm going home to get it and ride it back over Memorial Day, unless I pull the trigger on the S first--ifso, that would be a good "get to know each other" ride, bringher her back to the land of the delta.

John--as an aside, I was born in Kzoo, my mother and sisters still live there. I'm up there more than a couple times a year (rode up once last year). Other than winter, I still love that area.

Thanks again.:bow

JEP (Jeff)

Hmmm.... no mention of the S/LT/RT Hybrid?.......the GT!

Had a S, Have a LT, added a GT.......awesome all round ride.

John--as an aside, I was born in Kzoo, my mother and sisters still live there. I'm up there more than a couple times a year (rode up once last year). Other than winter, I still love that area.

Thanks again.:bow

JEP (Jeff)

I moved here 23 years ago with the intention of completing my degree and moving on. I rather like it. Having lived in New York and Chicago, I rather prefer the slower pace, lack of traffic, etc. LOTS to do around here too! Not so many twisty roads though... but some interesting ones, and riding north isn't so bad :) Say "hey" next time your in town :)

OK--I've had a K11LT and now have an R1150RT. I found a cherry, used K1200S that I have become infatuated with. Probably a common affliction.

Anyone gone from a touring/sport touring model to something like the S? While it's not as ergonomically challenged as your run-of-the-mill repli-racer, its still a far cry from the RT/LT seating position.

I do some LD riding on occasion, but I know the FJR is one of the most popular LD rides out there and it doesn't seem like the seating position is all THAT different from the S.

I would imagine bar-backs would be in order, but beyond that . . .?

Anyone have experience experience with a similar transition; am I nuts?

Thanks in advance,

JEP

I have a 2006 K1200S and it is a lot of fun to drive. It is stylish, sporty and did I mention...IT'S FAST. I replaced the stock seat for a Sargent with the trunk attachment but left the handlebars stock, at least for now.

I am 60 years young, fairly fit but after 200 miles I'm stiff from the sitting stance and my hands-forearms are sore because I don't have a throttlemiester. It is not, in my estimation, a touring bike.

Granted, my wife and I don't do long haul riding as she just isn't interested or physically able to do so. So the K1200S is great for me in that regard.

If it is touring you want to do be prepared for the aggressive stance, the fact that you will probably need to purchase a windshield extension to adjust the wind flow which hits you in the helmet and there are some pretty good after-market luggage that will fit on the bike. I've followed a thread from another site and here's some great pictures of a GIVI system for a K12S

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=13108

If I had the money and the space I'd have the K1200S and a touring bike. But with two bikes and two cars in the garage now, there's just no room left.

Have fun in your search
cbcK1200S - Colin
))))))))))))) =o&o>

Go for it Jeff.

I went from a Kawasaki Concours (old style) to the k12s. What a different animal. It took a long time to remove the smile after the first several rides. The first ride was adrenalin, fear and disbelief. The rest are all smiles. I have learned to face the power and then respect the power.

I am 5'8", 31" inseam. I also, left the bars and pegs stock, but I do usually ride with the low seat to be able to flat foot at a stop.

I don't find the riding position to be too far forward or uncomfortable. I do many 7 hour days in the saddle with no complaint about the riding position. I average around 6,000 to 7,000 miles per year. Not too many compared to some, but it is a fun filled 6,000 that's for sure.

+1 on the stylish, sporty, fast, fun and all of the other praise heaped on to the k12s and k13s.

Not ideal for two up with camping gear, but I have done it a few times for multi state trips. Not the end of the world. I sometimes miss not having a top box but the soft luggage works out well too.

IMG_0094w.jpg

C1403976w.jpg

Also, before I get blasted for my wife not having better gear, the photo was taken on the way to her first national rally. Once we arrived she purchased pants and boots. We were really torn about buying before going to the rally or waiting for the deals at the rally.

Again, Go for it! You will have a blast!

Russ

I have a 2005 K1200S, replaced the stock top triple tree with the K12R triple tree, added a Corbin low seat (I'm not short, but the lower seat creates a more upright riding position) and added Throttlemeister bar ends for "cruise control" to take pressure off my wrist. I have gone from here in PA to the Frosty Nutz in VT, down to last year's National in TN and multiple rides to Buffalo (NY), WV and other all day rides. I have soft side saddle bags as they are way cheaper than the little hard cases BMW sells, plus added a Belstaff (Givi look-a-like) hard trunk with backrest. I have used this setup for tent camping a couple times, works well for me, plus just love the "S" for getting out and playing. I've had a K1200RS and K1200LT, love the "S"!

Back