• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Still searching for a "K" Bike - MORE QUESTIONS, Differences between K75 and K100

JochenWoern

Still searching for a "K" Bike - MORE QUESTIONS, Differences between K75 and K100

As I am still in the market for an older "K" Bike, I have now also explored the K75 option. However, I have some questions here, so I will just fire them off in the hopes you guys will have the answers (which I am sure you do) :)

- What is the better option, the better bike? K100RS or K75S?

- What are the major performance differences between the "100" and the "75"?

- Does anyone have the specs. on these 2 bikes? What is the horsepower as well as top speed difference?

- As I am riding an '02 R1150RT as my cruiser and this is the bike I would ride "2 UP", will I notice a huge difference in performance riding single between the "100" and the "75"?

The "K" is going to be my short trip fun bike, while I will use the RT on long distance rides.

Any input you can provide in regards to choosing a K100 or a K75 would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

- What is the better option, the better bike? K100RS or K75S?

- As I am riding an '02 R1150RT as my cruiser and this is the bike I would ride "2 UP", will I notice a huge difference in performance riding single between the "100" and the "75"?

Yes, the K75 is alright in performance but the K100 is a total road rocket---twist the throttle and you are THERE.. Two up the K100 will still pass anything, too; gobs of torque!

Will answer your other questions later, dinner bell is ringing....:D

I just bought a 95 K75. Wanted one for years. 17000 mi , Great paint work and complete service records. Somethings I've noticed. I love the bike, very smooth, smoother than an old K100 I had. A little slow on the bottom end of the rpm range. My 92 R100RT will out accelerate it from a dead stop. Around 4500 rpm the thing takes off. IMHO very much like the K100 I had, although the 100 had more grunt no matter what rpm you were running. Many years ago I had the opportunity to drag race a k75 against a k100. Running start at 20mph in 2nd gear. The K75 kept up with the 100 up to about 70mph , then the 100 walked away. Very flickable, a little lighter than the 100. Yesterday as I was negotiating some twisties I had things scraping the road. She will turn. But I think the 75 is a great bike for my purposes, and if you use the bike for what you stated in your post, I think you'll be satisfied. I am!!!

As I am still in the market for an older "K" Bike, I have now also explored the K75 option. However, I have some questions here, so I will just fire them off in the hopes you guys will have the answers (which I am sure you do) :)

- What are the major performance differences between the "100" and the "75"?

- Does anyone have the specs. on these 2 bikes? What is the horsepower as well as top speed difference?
This site has all of the specs information that you will need on any beemer. Just chose the model and check out the differences. http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/bmwmodels.htm

I don't know what the top speed of my K is as I have leveled out at 170 km/hr whereas the P.O. chickened out at 195 km/hr.

I recently spoke with the owner of a K75RT who told me that he regularly gets about 66 mpg (imperial) whereas I get in the low 50s, usually the high 40s per imperial gallon with my K100RT. Of course I used to consistently get in the mid 50s until a put a barn door on for a windshield, but it was worth it to eliminate the wind buffeting.

I always hear that the K75 is silky smooth compared to my K100. Smoothness has never been an issue for me, but then, I've never ridden a K75 and can only accept the word of those who have ridden both. The K75 must REALLY smooth to be better than my K100.

The "K" is going to be my short trip fun bike, while I will use the RT on long distance rides. .

I look for gas between 230 km and 250 km with my K100RT. It will sometimes ride to 300 km on reserve. With the R1100RT, I often go almost and sometimes past 400 km before the reserve light comes on. If you have touring lids on the R1100RT, you will notice a massive difference in packing space. My K100RT has bundles of torque, until I compare it to the R1100RT. My K which I used to consider top heavy and somewhat cumbersome doing U turns actually is not so compared to my R1100RT. I put a larger alternator on the K so my two bikes are equal in electrical output. More time is required taking tupperware off and on with the R. First gear seems taller on the R. Both the K and R are good long distance touring bikes. :thumb :ca

I have owned 3 K75s, 1 K100, and 1 K1100LT.

The "size" of the K100 and K75 is essentially the same. Comparing my K75T (naked bike) and K100 Standard (naked bike) the K100 weighed about 80 pounds more, mostly weight on the front wheel. It felt heavier and a bit more top heavy. You can feel the difference in power if you look for it. The only place I felt it was an issue was when passing; I always shift down on a K75 and didn't necessarily on the K100.

The K75 is much smoother since it has a counterbalanced auxiliary shaft and the K100 doesn't. The K100 has a high frequency buzz, totally different from the deeper vibes on Airheads or Oilheads.

The K100s had a reputation for being hot to ride. This is particularly true of the RT and LT fully faired models. There were some OEM modifications of rubber bits to keep the heat off the rider's legs and some aftermarket solutions. The bigger 4 cylinder engine on the K100 and K1100 puts out more heat than the 3 cylinder one on the K75. I still find my K75RT hotter than I like to ride when it gets 85 or 90 degrees F. Great winter bike though. The big air pocket behind the fairing is also a culprit in hot ambient temperatures.

The K100 is a little faster but either will reach speeds that the suspension and aerodynamics of a loaded 2-up motorcycle (and law enforcement) won't like.

I toured for 18 years and 370,000 miles, and completed two Ironbutt Rallies on one K75T. I sold my K100 after about 1 year and 10,000 miles because I liked the K75 better.

Both are great bikes. The 75 is very easy to live with and gets better mileage, the 100 is definitely stronger, especially for 2-up, but if power is an issue look at the 1004v or 1100 versions.

Thanks very much for everyones input. If I get it right, both bikes are great and the differences are really not all that dramatic, mostly a "preference or choice" I guess?

Both are great bikes. The 75 is very easy to live with and gets better mileage, the 100 is definitely stronger, especially for 2-up, but if power is an issue look at the 1004v or 1100 versions.

Yes, you can't go wrong with either (and I suspect a K75 is slightly more in line with what you're looking for).

I'm still amazed that I only got one speeding ticket the whole three years I had my K100RS. That bike lends itself to autobahn speeds from the get-go.

The K75 is somehat more refined, in a sense and is probably one of the most practical bikes for everyday or occasional use. I get 48-52 mpg on mine.:dance

I had a 85 K100RT that I replaced with a 92 K75RT. I switched because the buzz in the grips and pegs of the K100RT bothered me a lot. Other than ABS, the bikes were identical except for one cylinder. I switched several parts so I would have the best parts and accessories on the one I kept. The K100 was much faster and more powerful then the K75. I never have a passenger but I don't feel the K75 would be comfortable with the extra load. The K100 was far hotter than the K75. I chose the K75 over the K100 and I would do it again if that was my only choice. I replaced the K75RT with a R80RT and I am happy with the decision even though the K75 did EVERYTHING better than the R80.

2 K75s, K1100RS, about 125,000 across the 3. Bought the RS when i realized that the K75 just did not have the grunt for 2-up touring in the mntns. 1100 had quite a bit more power, but i preferred the lighter weight of the 750 on a back road. both were hot on a warm day. 750 was like an electric motor- super smooth, and generaly considered to be the smoothest engine/bike BMW has ever made, at least until the edge K-bikes came along. between the 3 options, i'd lean to the 1100, as the farthest development of the 1st K generation bikes.

I will add that I have been riding my 1988 K75s for 4-years and they are the smoothest, quietest bikes in the world, if I may be so bold. Furthermore, it is bullet proof and simply and engineering masterpiece.

75 vs 100

I own and love my 85 K100RS. I also had the pleasure of riding a K75 last fall from Chicago to Minneapolis and back - following the beautiful Mississippi River roads from LaCrosse to St. Paul.

The K100 is a more powerful bike, the K75 is sewing machine smooth. Both bikes have more than adaquate power for extended high speed touring. The K75 feels significantly lighter and more 'flickable' - more fun on curvy roads, but feels fine riding at highway speeds in awful cross winds in heavy rain (ask me how I know this)

Every person I know who had and sold their K75 tells me they regret that decision, including a guy this morning at the local biker/breakfast hangout. Both are fine, reliable and easy to maintain motorcycles.:german

Every person I know who had and sold their K75 tells me they regret that decision, including a guy this morning at the local biker/breakfast hangout. Both are fine, reliable and easy to maintain motorcycles.:german

I didn't sell mine. It got run over on the Interstate. I got another two, or three depending on how you count (my son rides one and my ex son-in-law has one of them).

And Voni has had a total of 4 including the one she still has and rode all over last summer. Every time she trades one in she misses it and gets another, even though she keeps the bike she traded it in for.

This time (she just got an F800S) she kept the K75 and traded in an R1100S. But she kept Big Red, her original 1994 R1100RS too but it has 350K miles so doesn't have high trade-in value. She wouldn't trade it even if it did.

I'll chime in here . . .

K75S - what a great ride - especially with new Bridgestone BT45's - a new bike.

Floating rotors in front, Spiegler brake lines & new rear m/c mean Ken's got great brakes now - when I first got her the brakes were terrible - scary front pulsing & p/o just didn't take care of her. Progressive rear shock & fresh fork fluid up front.

New radiator cooling fan, all fluids, stebel air horn, driving lights, heated grips, hazard lights, gps mount, altitude switch.

This bike is as reliable as a Toyota - smooth as silk - handles great Ready for a nice long ride out West in July.

Like a new bike. My fave bike!

Back