• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Caster ?

B

bobh41

Definition please (it's not in my engineering manual).

Comparing the R1200GS , R1200RT, and R1200S - the BMW specs lists "castor" for each as 101, 116, and 87 mm, respectively.

I think this relates to "trail", but I'm not sure. If that's so wouldn't that make the "S" a little spooky?

Help?

Bob

Caster is the difference between a vertical line and the steering axis. Bikes have positive caster in that the steering axis is angled forward from vertical. If measured as an angle it is called rake. I have no idea where BMW is measuring from to express it in millimeters but less caster is less rake.

And yes, the S has more "upright" steering and turns in more quickly. Not surprising for a sport bike.

Those must be values for trail, in milimeters. Caster, is essentially the same as trail. Plus those numbers make sense for trail for each respective chassis. I wonder if my 94 R1100RS is between the S and RT.

RS Caster

The Clymer manual cites 111 mm Caster for the R1100 RS.

R=127 mm
GS=115 mm
RS=111 mm
RT=122 mm
S= 100 mm

It does not distinguish model year.

Track

Funny, my HS coach never mentioned that. I ran the mile in 11 minutes.

Caster is the difference between a vertical line and the steering axis. Bikes have positive caster in that the steering axis is angled forward from vertical. If measured as an angle it is called rake. I have no idea where BMW is measuring from to express it in millimeters but less caster is less rake.

And yes, the S has more "upright" steering and turns in more quickly. Not surprising for a sport bike.

There is no way I would attempt to challenge your authority, Paul, when it comes to technical issues on motorcycles, but I must point out one small issue:

While rake and trail (caster) are related, they are not the same. Rake is the angle of the steering neck from vertical. Trail is produced by the offset of the fork tubes relative to the steering neck. If you increase the rake you can decrease the trail by reducing the offset. This is done often by custom bike builders of a certain brand of motorcycles. Any bike in order to have halfway decent steering needs a positive trail. If you don't have one, you would have the "broken wheel on a shopping cart" syndrome. Below is a picture to illustrate the relation. A large trail makes steering heavy and "slow" but increases high speed and straight line stability. A small trail makes steering quick and easy but produces a very "tippy" reaction and can be dangerous at low speeds and tight turns.

Attachments

• rake and trail.JPG
    rake and trail.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 97
There is no way I would attempt to challenge your authority, Paul, when it comes to technical issues on motorcycles, but I must point out one small issue:

While rake and trail (caster) are related, they are not the same. Rake is the angle of the steering neck from vertical. Trail is produced by the offset of the fork tubes relative to the steering neck. If you increase the rake you can decrease the trail by reducing the offset. This is done often by custom bike builders of a certain brand of motorcycles. Any bike in order to have halfway decent steering needs a positive trail. If you don't have one, you would have the "broken wheel on a shopping cart" syndrome. Below is a picture to illustrate the relation. A large trail makes steering heavy and "slow" but increases high speed and straight line stability. A small trail makes steering quick and easy but produces a very "tippy" reaction and can be dangerous at low speeds and tight turns.

We are not disagreeing. And it was BMW that described an angular measurement (caster) as a dimension in mm, apparently trail. And subsequent posters who said BMW meant trail.

What I said was "Caster is the difference between a vertical line and the steering axis." Which is what you just said rake was. And I said caster and rake were the same thing. We agree. They are an angular measurement. Trail is a distance measurement.

Last edited:
We are indeed not, Paul. After reading it again, I saw that you explained caster as rake, not trail. Makes sense, as caster in a car suspension is expressed in an angle measurement.

It appears to me from a variety of sources that for cars the angular lean of the steering axis fore and aft is named caster and for motorcycles the same angular lean of the steering axis fore and aft is called rake. I have never heard the term rake applied to a car however, nor the term trail for that matter.

Thanks for all the excellent responses. BTW the term "castor" came from the BMW marketing news feed I receive often. I really puzzled over the possibility that the term was a corollary to "caster". This is all very good stuff -even the witty hijacks.

Definition please (it's not in my engineering manual).

Comparing the R1200GS , R1200RT, and R1200S - the BMW specs lists "castor" for each as 101, 116, and 87 mm, respectively.

I think this relates to "trail", but I'm not sure. If that's so wouldn't that make the "S" a little spooky?

Help?

Bob

Castor is a small furry mammal that builds dams across streams.....Regards, Rod.:D

Back