• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Why is the 85 K100 the "Finest Year K?"

Best Year K-bike

Hummm. Never heard that before. However, I did hear that for the K-bikes from the latter part of the 1980s BMW recommended servicing the splines at longer intervals. It's never easy separating rumors, dreams and reality. :blah

Anyone find a good topcase for these old bikes? Mine is a jewel.

"Good"? Well, sorta. BMW made a very nice small topcase - a 21Liter size that fastened to the rear luggage carrier. It really required putting on one of the 4 screw luggage carriers, not the 2 screw (mounts) one that came on the FYK. It was shaped to hug the rear shape of the bike, and didn't look ungainly big like most aftermarket cases. It also was small enough that unless you loaded it with lead, it was hard to upset the balance of the bike with it.

Nice case with one flaw - the lock assembly loves to loosen up and then jam - closed. Sometimes it also opened when at speed. Since the lid opened toward the rear of the bike, usually the "stuff" stayed in the case. Usually. Not always. People solved that with a strap wrapped around the case and lid.

If you shop wisely - you can generally score one for around $125. Make sure it comes with the removable plate that mounts in the rear luggage carrier that it fastens to. Some people thought they could leave that plate in the carrier without the topcase on it. That usually works for a while, then it wiggles loose and is gone in the wind.

Since I don't like large topcases (they tend to get filled up, and IMHO look ugly) - it was one of my favorites. I used mine on both my FYK100RT, and on THE K75S that followed it.

If you look closely at the term "Finest Year K", you will see that the attribute "finest" refers to the "year" , not the "K". 1985 was the finest year. BMW also built a K-bike that year.:brow

This weeeknd

I spent this past weekend on a 85 K100RS. My regular ride is a R1100RT and I missed that big fairing while riding all day in the rain; but the power and smoothness of the k100, makes my R BIKE seem like the tractor it is. Thanks to the NCHP for only giving me a wave as I blasted by his dark blue unmarked Ford at 9o MPH on I-40n Sunday. I don't think he wanted to get wet.

85 K100RT Naked

Have had a 02 R1150RT now for 3 years and love it, but wanted a project bike to turn into a Naked for the hot Humid weather here in MO.
Got a great deal on a K with only 11 thou on it. Road it 2 weeks with the plastics on and it was pretty hot, not to mention my knees kept hitting the fairing (6.2). Six months later and she's almost finished her transformation. Had to take her through my streets after starting her after such a long time. OOOOh boy, love that pull above 4000rpms, and yes I have The Finest Cam on this engine.:dance

OOOOh boy, love that pull above 4000rpms, and yes I have The Finest Cam on this engine.:dance

Seems like when they were new (28 yrs ago), everybody must have believed that these bikes were amazing. Now only those of us who have 'em seem to know.

Johnny

Well, I've never had or ridden an 85 K100 but DO have an 88. It was my first BMW, and I came to it after a Long-ish time of riding old Triumphs. Given that, the complaints about vibrations in the early Ks do tend to mystify. I have managed to keep the 88, and have since had two R100s (still own the 93 RS) and now also own 2002 K1200RS.
I continue to find that ol' K100RS a joy to ride.

All this talk about the 85 model ALMOST tempts me to buy one....

It NEVER let Me down!

:dealI "stold" a 85 K100LT in '86, all the so called "hard core BEEMER riders" didn't considder it a real BMW because it wasn't a air cooled horizontal twin so none of them wanted it. I payed $6,800. for a brand new machine. the little glitches the "nit-pickers" cried about were trivial at the most. I had a couple of ways to get the speedo to come back, 1. knock on it with my fingers, 2. Beep the horn, and finally I took it apart and put small pieces of foam agansed the problem contacts to hold them in better. The "BUZZ" they cried about wasnt there if you didn't travel in that gear at that speed, so all you needed to do is up-shift, down-shift, or speed up or slow down if it really botherd you that much. I rode Harleys most of my before BMW life and if a Harley wasnt buzzing or vibrateing it had to be SHUT OFF OR WRECKED! I had well over 100,000 miles on that bike, It took me all over the USA without a problem. ( I did run out of gas twice in 13 years, but that was my fault for having too much fun) :heart I now ride the "ULTIMATE FLYING BRICK", a 2004 K1200GT. It has all the improvements possible to the "BRICK" along with ABS. I have added a Hannigan Classic side car for my wife. She had a Liver transplant in 2006 and a Kidney transplant in 2010. she needed to learn to walk and everything els in order to have enough strength to get in and out but She loves rideing so that gave her the insentive to work hard to get to whear she is now. she gets in and out like nothing ever happned. Everyone, Love your Machine and it will LOVE YOU BACK!:bow

Back