• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Tire Wear

D

dmmwam

I was just noticing that it seems as if the front tire on my 2007 K1200GT is wearing more on one side than the other. What might be causing this to happen? This bike has just under 7,000 miles, but it looks to me like I need to replace this tire already. I was reading another post where several people have had similar issues. May switch to the Michelin and give that a go. I'm used to getting 12-15,000 miles on a tire, so this is unusual to me.

Attachments

• Tire.jpg
    Tire.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Hmmmm, what brand and model tire is this? Looks suspiciously like a Dunlop 220, but 7K over 3 years.....not bad, but not outstanding for a tire I would be willing to put on the GT. Plenty o-tread left in the out reaches....maybe a pure tour tire is in order rather than a sport touring tire?

This is actually the original Bridgestone that came on the bike. I bought the bike about eight months ago with only 3400 miles, so I have put 3600 on it since then. I'm thinking of trying the Michelin PR2 which should give the advantages of both a touring and a sport tire. I also have guys tell me I shouldn't mix tire brands like that, but the tire dealers that I talk to say that it doesn't matter as long as they are both radials.

Looks like road crown wear.

Which tire track do you predominately ride in.

If you use the left wheel track the right side of the tire will wear and the road will rise from left to right until it crowns and then from there go right to left so that if you ride predominately on the right side wheeel track the left side of the tire will wear.

Ahh...The BT-020 front, I knew it looked familiar. I tried these three times on my K1200RS, and was never happy. The cupping I got was way more noticable than what yours has done, that in turn caused them to be very noisy and induced a vibration in turns as they aged, D-220 had nearly the same tread pattern and I had the same poor results. The left of center generally wears more for me than the right for the reasons Semper FI noted. Your thoughts of the PR2 sounds very good, but....with such a nice tire, I would put them on in a set. If you still have tons of tread left on your rear, maybe put on a BT-010 on the front. I had very good success with the 010 f / 020 r on the RS. Different bike weight and suspension, but probably comparable in a lot of respects,, but I consistently got 7-8000 miles per set. Not sure why, but for about the last 200,000 miles, my tires have worn close enough to the same that I always do them in sets. Nothing as wierd feeling as a new/old combo of tires. They behave very differently leaning into corners.

Pitch 'em and buy Road Pilot 2's. I made it to 6800 miles on my stock tires.
I thought I had Flintstone tires on the K1200GT...... switched and man what
a ride! Have about 7000 on them now and still running smooth. Nice amount
of center tread left. Mite make it to 11000 miles before a set change.

+1 on the PR2s. We ran them on my wife's VFR and she was getting 15k+ on them, with plenty left when we'd swap them out. Good feel and wet weather performance as well.

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. My new rubber is going on tomorrow. :)

Back