• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sound of a leaking head gasket

ccolwell

I have an odd noise coming from the right side of the engine, a sort of rapid squeaking sound. Clymer's indicates this is a leaking head gasket. Short of a leak down test (I don't have the tools) is there any other way to diagnose this?

Why not just take something that smokes, like a stick of incense or a cigarette, and with engine running observe the smoke as you pass it slowly and closely around the head gasket perimeter? Just need a space where the air is calm.

Also, you can take a paper tube like from some gift wrap and direct it to specific areas around the head to help pinpoint the location of the noise.

if you have the silicon valve cover gaskets, and they are not tight enough they can act like the reed in the woodwin section of the symhony.. check the area first, plus the old style breather valve can be fairly musical also..

apply soapy dish water and watch for bubbles?

might work if it isn't too hot. i dunno.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    49.4 KB · Views: 79
Turkey Gobble?

My R90/6 did this, I thought it was something with the crankcase breather check valve.

Thanks all. I found the sound was coming from elsewhere. One of these days I'll get the hang of this home mechanic thing.

Back