• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cool Software Tool

samuelh

The GPS route planner @ http://www.marengo-ltd.com/

I've been transferring my MAD maps paper map into Garmin RoadTrip (MapSource for the Mac) routes. The marengo thing is a google maps based route planner.. you drop pins on a map, and it exports the route in GPX format, which is then imported into the Garmin software.

Seems like a lot of trouble, but I think the google maps interface and maps are 1000% better then the maps in RoadTrip. You can actually find places and roads.

Once the basic route is imported into RoadTrip, you then tune the route to remove u-turns and what not.

I'm sort of a noob when it comes to this GPS stuff. I think that mapsource is probably better than roadtrip, but I don't have ready access to a windows machine. So the combination of a google maps based solution to find places, and then tuning the final route in Garmin seems to work.

My 2C.. The marengo thing is free for a month.

SH

Point that front wheel some direction. It will go somewhere. You and the rest of the scooter will surely follow. Simple as that!

The GPS route planner @ http://www.marengo-ltd.com/

I've been transferring my MAD maps paper map into Garmin RoadTrip (MapSource for the Mac) routes. The marengo thing is a google maps based route planner.. you drop pins on a map, and it exports the route in GPX format, which is then imported into the Garmin software.

Seems like a lot of trouble, but I think the google maps interface and maps are 1000% better then the maps in RoadTrip. You can actually find places and roads.

Once the basic route is imported into RoadTrip, you then tune the route to remove u-turns and what not.

I'm sort of a noob when it comes to this GPS stuff. I think that mapsource is probably better than roadtrip, but I don't have ready access to a windows machine. So the combination of a google maps based solution to find places, and then tuning the final route in Garmin seems to work.

My 2C.. The marengo thing is free for a month.

SH

Hey thanks for the great link, I've registered and look forward to giving it a try this evening!

Jim

Another Google Maps to GPX converter is available here:

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

I've been using this for a few years with excellent results.

I've found Google Maps to be far better than MapSource for route planning. You can zoom in in aerial view and see what the roads actually look like. The maps are also more up to date.

Back