• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW To Kill the Air Cooled Engine

I have a 2006 VW TDI Jetta. I now get about 39mpg. Before the diesel formula was changed, I consistantly got 42 mpg. Still get reasonably good mileage....and I don't have to pee in a tank to get it!

Ah, but like my New Beetle TDI, it's a gross (and I mean gross) polluter.

My GL320CDI with Diesel Particulate Filter (but pre-AdBlue) doesn't smell, doesn't smoke, and doesn't even dust up the chrome exhaust extensions.

Thanks all the same Motorrad but I'll pass on water cooling my motorcycle. To me (IMHO) buying a water-cooled motorcycle is like marrying a girl with cancer.

I have owned a K75 for 21 years. Total cooling system maintenance: 2 gallons of coolant and 1 radiator fan (the fan wears it's self out spinning in the wind). It is clean as a whistle inside, and stays cool as a cucumber in LA traffic.

I wish my R1200R had a fan on the oil cooler.

Scott

Dissimilar metals suspended in a conductive medium such as water is a very poor design. Electrolysis ya know.

Not water, coolant.

On a different note I found an article by Kevin Cameron, I believe a couple years ago, interesting. In it he pointed out how water cooling is actually lighter than air cooling. The weight of the coolant, hoses, and water pump is more than off-set by the thicker castings and fins needed for air cooling.

Dissimilar metals suspended in a conductive medium such as water is a very poor design. Electrolysis ya know.

This is true of iron block engines. With the exception of the water pump impeller, the entire cooling system on a K bike is aluminum. Head, cylinders, and radiator.

As I said, my 21 year old system looks like new inside.

I tried water cooling my airhead, it just takes too long to dry off.

Dave H
San Antonio, TX

Attachments

• Rain.jpg
    Rain.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 155
I have a 2006 VW TDI Jetta. I now get about 39mpg. Before the diesel formula was changed, I consistently got 42 mpg. Still get reasonably good mileage....and I don't have to pee in a tank to get it!
(spelling correction)

You need a cam and lifter inspection. It's not the fuel.....trust me as a TDI Guru.

They are disintegrating at an alarming rate. Especially if you use the 5w30 Castrol garbage dealer oil.

Sorry for the side track...

It also changed to liquid cooled (heads)...ima4nr

Porsche made 1000 hp air cooled race car engines...lkchris

Porsche was forced to introduce liquid cooling in its M96/01 engines, as it found it could not adequately cool four valve cylinder heads with air/oil. Porsche needed the new heads to achieve higher specific power outputs, and meet current and future emission standards.

One of the other reasons was to reduce noise.

...water cooling is actually lighter than air cooling...ridewv

And the new (996) cars were about 50 kg lighter than their (993) predecessors.

Almost all the fans remained loyal...ima4nr

But the air cooled enthusiasts love to take shots at the water pumpers. Which is similar to one of the themes around here...:D

...lower heat capacity compared to water...careckwell

I've always understood that oil is an inferior fluid for transferring heat. I had a look at some heat transfer co-efficient tables for oil and water, and it's about 1 to 4. If I understand the tables correctly, oil also has less ability to hold heat.

But the resident physicists can correct me. :)

Last edited:
It is true that equivalent volumes of oil does not carry as much heat as water. However, the system is the real figure of merit.

Oil can cool a head very well, it might will need a bit larger passages. Oil will not boil at any temperature you would want to operate at, water has been known to make stem pockets. There are also issues with water additives and corrosion. OIl will warm faster than water, and this is an advantage.

An oil cooling system can move as much heat as a water system, things need to be different sizes and pressures is all.

Rod

Back