• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT Getting Better as the Miles Pile on

Is it me or does the RT get better as the miles add up? I only have 1278 miles on my 2010 RT but it sure feels and rides better every time I ride it.
When will I hit a peak? Or, in other words, when will the bike be broken in? :)

tsp

Is it me or does the RT get better as the miles add up? I only have 1278 miles on my 2010 RT but it sure feels and rides better every time I ride it.
When will I hit a peak? Or, in other words, when will the bike be broken in? :)

tsp

Yes - You will hit a peak several hundred thousand miles from now.

The BluegrassPicker :violin

My R1200R definitely smoothed out after the first 1000 miles when the engine loosened up. I have 2600, and I hear it will get even better.

Scott

Wait until you cross around 12K miles. Happened to both the '07 RT and '07 GSADV here. Looked down and had to confirm I was on the bike I thought I was.

1,278 miles? Barely getting started with that 'feel-good' impression.

These RT's usually hit their stride somewhere between 12,000 and 20,000 miles!

I came home from a courtesy trip to my dealer yesterday (140 miles roundtrip), and the RT performed beautifully, the odometer rolling past the 47,000 mile mark.

It will feel smoother and more responsive as you pile on the miles, so just enjoy the ride! :german

At 83K miles they're as smooth and quiet as at 20K...keep on riding...you will never stop being amazed at the character the boxer has!!

These RT's usually hit their stride somewhere between 12,000 and 20,000 miles!
It will feel smoother and more responsive as you pile on the miles, so just enjoy the ride! :german

Agreed. Mine really seemed to hit it's stride around 15,000 and is even better at 26k. I observed the same thing on my /6 airhead back in the day.

Tom

It seems to me that only the finer things in life improve with age :thumb

Well, my experience has been as others have posted. Bike won't even begin running good til around 12K. My oil consumption has now ceased to exist and it purrs with now only little over 14K on it. Hurry up and get some miles on it. 1000 per week should do it.

I have a 2007 RT with about 16,000, I agree that between 10K and 12K it started to feel as if the engine and all other systems started operating at their peak. Also over that time the RT and I have become like one, shifting, braking, taking turns, etc.

Another thing I noticed is how easy it is to begun to take the RT for granted. This usually comes up when I get a loaner or simply ride another bike. I remember on one occasion taking the RT in for annual service on a slightly windy and misty day about 45 degrees ( a kind of day I would not think twice about with my RT) and returning with a Triumph, I think it was a Bonneville, what a mistake that was! No power, no protection, no comfort, no handling, no fun, squirrelly in the wind, loud, and simply scary on the interstate, relative to the RT. My father rides an '08 Goldwing, He has let me ride it, I did not say anything negative and I won't here, but I guess it is a matter of taste - but I have a greater appreciation of the RT after the experience. I also took the K1300GT for a test ride and I was very happy to get back on my RT.

The RT is the best transportation purchase I have ever made and I feel more strongly about it after each mile.

Speaking of wind...

We had 45 mph gusts here today and I was amazed how stable the RT was when riding. Yes, I felt the gusts but the bike's handling allowed me to smoothly make minor corrections without a hint of drama. Lot's of wind testing of the design, I'll bet.

However, at stop lights in the higher gusts, I had to anchor myself and lean into the wind to keep the bike upright!

My Shadow (and me) would have been in a ditch on a day like today!

My friend has a 1999 R1100S with 48k miles. It idles smoother than my R1200RT with 18k miles on it! Keep piling on the miles...

Back