• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nav 4 vs 660 vs other?

Bezdelnik

Got curvy roads?
I had started a thread in the wrong location http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=44540 but wanted to get more info. As mentioned in this thread the Nav 4 version is crippled vs the standard 660. Just curious what is meant by crippled? Not really interested in adding the XM since it is just more costs that I can compensate with mp3s and a blue tooth headset. Still haven't decided on the headset version yet. Want an AD2P capable unit. Hopefully will be pairing a phone (just for curiosity if some calls) and somewhere in the future a radar detector.

From what I have heard the Garmin is the standard for a dedicated motorcycle GPS. Thoughts? Any other experiences?

I have a 660, get one. Love it. Great review here.

Why? Wired headset or BT headset (Nav 4 is just BT), no xtra large cradle in the way with no-use xtra buttons, and $$$$ less.

Why? Wired headset or BT headset (Nav 4 is just BT), no xtra large cradle in the way with no-use xtra buttons, and $$$$ less.
Funny - because those buttons are the reason I love the Navigator series. Trying to zoom in/out using the on-screen buttons with gloves on just really doesn't work for me, and becomes a distraction I don't need when riding. I have a NAV-III and a Garmin 2720 - basically the same unit (with a few things like BT on the NAV-III, which I use a lot..), but the useability of the two on the bike, the NAV-III wins hands down.

Distraction while riding is an obvious safety hazard. Trying to zoom in with an on-screen button, and having the GPS decide you want to mark a location (the most common result), then having to back up, get back to map mode and try again - is a dangerous distraction IMHO, vs - press the + button.

I have no issue zomming on my 660 with gloves on. You must have extra large hands. :blah

Back