• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Twinmax repair

can you contact the manfacturer? if you don't have the original box it came in with that info, I have mine and can send you the info.

can you contact the manfacturer? if you don't have the original box it came in with that info, I have mine and can send you the info.
also, have you checked the battery?

The manufacturer is in France. I have emailed them en anglais but no reply. If you have an address in the US that will help.

First thing I checked was the battery.

Last edited:
I dont know what I'm talking about but: This reminds me of the stereo reciever in my shop. The volume and balance adjustments got wonky from dust and moisture - no adjustment or jumpy volume levels etc. So I opened it up recently. Both knobs drive rheostats - variable resistors. I hosed each one down with CRC Electronics cleaner, worked them back and forth and blew it dry with compressed air (low pressure setting). Worked a charm. AOK now.

So: you could open the TM and lookit. I'll bet the zero adjustment is a rheostat that compensates for changes in battery voltage level. You could hose it out with sumptin like CRC Electronics cleaner, dry it and then see if that changed anything.

Oh, maybe test a corner of the TM someplace to ensure the Electronics cleaner does not attack the plastic box. I doubt it will but its probaly best to check. Be a shame to throw out the TM or spend the cost of a new one on repairs if it was really something simple like that.

Ok on the light. I wonder if you've dropped or hit the zero adjustment?? Can you jiggle the zero knob at any position and make the meter jump??? The reason I'm asking is if the repair is not simple and you have to sent it to France for repair the postage will probably be very expensive. It might be cheaper to just buy another unit.

I recommend opening the case and checking the two little vacuum hoses. One of mine had a small tear where it fit on the nipple. Replacing that hose "tuned up" my Twinmax.

There are TWO good things about TwinMax.:thumb
Hose A and Hose B
The rest of the toy never worked right. You can get good reading but when you reverse the hoses, the reading is OFF.
I have tried to find a repair shop with no luck and my rusty french was no help at all.:dunno
Buy a 15ft of 1/8 clear tubing and attach it to the wooden yardstick.
Fill the tubing with a couple of oz of Amoretto or good Irish Cream and you will have you self a nice Carb Synchronizer.
Oh.. yes... both hoses from TwinMax attached to the tubing will do fine.
Good luck.

Old thread, but I'm curious what the original poster did in the end. I did TB sync last week and had precisely the same problem with my Twinmax, which had worked fine for somewhere between 2-3 yrs.

My solution was to buy some clear tube and build a manometer in about 20 min. Worked quite well and the bike is running very smoothly.

Old thread, but I'm curious what the original poster did in the end. I did TB sync last week and had precisely the same problem with my Twinmax, which had worked fine for somewhere between 2-3 yrs.

My solution was to buy some clear tube and build a manometer in about 20 min. Worked quite well and the bike is running very smoothly.

I have tried to contact Twinmax twice got a reply once asking for details of what the unit is or is not doing. I replied but got no answer back.

In the mean time I too made a cleartube manometer with ATF which works just fine.

Dwyer

Since I have never performed a TB sync, and do not know the price for the Twinmax, this might not be relevant. There is a company called Dwyer, Michigan City, Indiana, which sells a variety of instrumentation to measure pressure, temperature, flow, etc... We use the company's Magnehelics, slack U-tube manometers, and inclined plate manometers all the time in industrial applications to determine flow (just add a pitot tube) and pressure.

These instruments can be used to measure gauge or differential (which the TB sync requires I believe) pressure for almost any application. The only problem with using a fluid filled device is that if the vacuum is too strong, it could suck all the fluid out of the manometer; I do not know if the TB's vacuum is in inches of water or many mm of mercury. These are simple tools and the company sells a variety of hoses and fittings for connecting to equipment.

As a side note, if you make your own manometer using clear tubing, a yardstick, and water, food coloring (red) can be added to give you a better visual. It does stain the tubing after a while and you'll have to get a new tube to see the levels correctly.

Back