Thread: '12 K1300S - Front Brake Circuit Fluid Renewal

Question '12 K1300S - Front Brake Circuit Fluid Renewal

Hey all, did a search for this info and didn't find answer. So here goes from a first time owner: is there a hack to the 'special tool' apparently needed to release the front brake reservoir cap? Also, do I really need to replace the filter with this fluid change out? I know I'll need to acquire a GS-911 to cycle the ABS pump to purge the old fluid out. Thank you.

I use a pocket knife to push in the two tabs at the same time. Anything that lets you push in both tabs will work.

When I have changed the brake fluid I did not change the sponge. After the last fluid change I found out I should change the sponge and plan to do it next time.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I made a tool from a 8" piece of coat hanger wire, bent into a C shape with the two ends pointed at each other.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Even thriftier is a couple wraps of dental floss twisted on a machine screw to squeeze the tabs.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Thanks for the hack ideas, much appreciated. I must say the floss is the most ingenious of the bunch.

I guess it s necessary to replace the yellow sponge with a new one when doing this procedure.

And Lee, is that an aftermarket speedo bezel with the white hash marks? I suppose they are there to help keep you out of trouble with LEOs.

Quote Originally Posted by fissioner View Post

And Lee, is that an aftermarket speedo bezel with the white hash marks? I suppose they are there to help keep you out of trouble with LEOs.
    The carbon dash cover is aftermarket. The hash marks are just pin stripes that make it easier to read the speedo at a quick glance.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT