• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nv700

Today I stopped in the local Honda shop to schedule a state inspection and chat with my nephew, who's one of the salesmen. As we rambled on, he showed me the NV700 which is a very nice bike. I'm not crazy about the integral saddlebags, but the rest of the bike is very nice and has shaft drive (that's a really big thing with me). What really impressed me was the price, $8500 w/o ABS, for a brand new 2010 mid-size sport-touring bike.

In comparison to what BMW is offering and the price difference, I think it would be hard not to choose the Honda.

Market share and new bikes.

BMW is behind the curve and trying hard to catch up...the average BMW Rider is some mid 50's person. Give it some time and your loosing market share.

BMW needs to address the average market... do the easy thing and do a 'retro'
airhead that some one with 31" inseam will fit on that does not weigh in at over 400 plus pounds.

Do something simple and smart.

I think it would sell. I saw and looked at a Honda Gold Wing today and I could not see the 'bike' for all the covers. There must be a soul there somewhere.

I was thinking about a 'new' MotoGuzzi Sport. Pretty cool.

Jim, Ketchikan

Be sure and check the HP. They are pretty underpowered as I hear it.

Well, prior to the Oilheads, BMW wasn't really concerned about the Hp race and the bikes were quite compact (svelte) and light, relative to the Japanese offerings. As I recall, the power levels were approximately,

R80 ~ 50hp
R100 ~ 60hp
K75 ~ 70hp
K100 ~ 82hp

Those bikes were a lot of fun and their owners probably collected more than a few speeding tickets.

So, perhaps, BMW's current "Hummer" design approach isn't for everybody:brow

nv 700

As a member of BMW Owners of America and not a Honda owners group I don't know why I don't get excited about Honda testimonials. Perhaps I ought to join a Honda group to tout the virtues of my K1200S and R1200R. Honda folks probably need that perspective.

Pete

BMW is behind the curve and trying hard to catch up...the average BMW Rider is some mid 50's person. Give it some time and your loosing market share.

BMW needs to address the average market... do the easy thing and do a 'retro'
airhead that some one with 31" inseam will fit on that does not weigh in at over 400 plus pounds.

Do something simple and smart.

I think it would sell. I saw and looked at a Honda Gold Wing today and I could not see the 'bike' for all the covers. There must be a soul there somewhere.

I was thinking about a 'new' MotoGuzzi Sport. Pretty cool.

Jim, Ketchikan

that's really not a bad idea, I'm really into the new ducati sport classic and the new triumphs. My R90/6 is my only bike and I absolutely love it, but if I was ever going to get something new I don't think it'd be BMW, their new stuff just doesn't really do anything for me. Fwiw I'm 26, 34" inseam, and 190lbs :)

I can't stand tourers though, if I needed that much comfort and space I'd just drive my car

The NV700 is the new to the US version of the Deauville that Honda has been selling for years in the European market. Honda did not bring it to the US until now for two main reasons. First they did not think it would sell because of size and their past sales experience with the PC 800 Pacific Coast. Secondly in the past their marketing showed in the US it would cannibalize existing customer base to a greater extent than it would create a new base for them. The current sales and market levels has Honda (and others) trying all sorts of things to get people into the show room they did not think would work in the past.

Power is reasonable for a bike in this class. With the Euro pressure to keep hp below 100 we should not be surprised.

Reto bikes: For all the calls we have made for retro models they just have not sold when built. Ducati recently cut its line of beautify retro bikes because they were selling less than 100 worldwide. Yes MG is selling a really nice Classic but is it doing well because it is retro or what people expect from MG?

If you can’t beat them join them. BMW is heading in a different direction with respect to retros. There are so many old BMWs on the road it would have to compete with so why do that when you could create business for the company by serving that community? A US version of the recently announced BMW Classic Center is coming to serve the people keeping BMW bikes and cages on the street.

What was the ?¥ liter segment now is the 800cc market. BMW moved in several years ago with its F800 series. There was no RT for a variety of reasons. With the pending announcement of a new LT maybe they will introduce a updated F800RT, maybe not. Until they do, if ever, BWM riders and the aftermarket are doing well converting F800s into touring rigs with the farkles that riders want.

If BMW offered a range of bikes that suited my needs, then I'd only buy BMW's. But, sadly, they don't.

We just bought one of the NT700's. Only been using it to commute for the last two days so it has barely over 100 miles on it.

We bought it because it is a dependable, low maintenance, mid range cc bike. I don't need 100hp to get me from my house to my workplace. or anywhere else for that matter. All but three of the bikes we own are sub 1000cc (2 Guzzi EV's and an R1200C excepted)

First 'tank' of fuel I averaged 58 mpg. Its comfy, ergos are nice, and so far, it accelerates nicely and handles quite well in 35+ mph crosswinds.

The integrated bags... .good and bad. Good, they look nice and I like the 'pass through' between them. Nice to have for tent poles or the occasional loaf of french bread or sub sandwich. :) And they aren't so huge that you have to have a wide load sign on the back of the bike. I don't like them because they are a bit on the small side. But there is a nice flat package tray, so to speak, behind the pillion. You can either mount a top box or it'll hold a tail bag without it flopping all over creation.

Screen is adjustable, there are two small glove boxes (for lack of a better word) to stuff paperwork or sunglasses in. One is lockable the other not. Alternator puts out enough juice to power heated grips and gear.

Has a center stand.

What I don't like so far. When you abruptly let off on the throttle, or when you brake hard, the front end dives a bit too much, but we had them put some heavier oil in the forks and that helped. The left side drivers peg, side stand and center stand are real close together, so when you go to put the side stand down, you have to fish for it.

I can understand why folks call it the Dullville. Its a down to Earth, basic, no frills Honda. Time will tell if I really like the bike, but so far, I love it.

As a member of BMW Owners of America and not a Honda owners group I don't know why I don't get excited about Honda testimonials. Perhaps I ought to join a Honda group to tout the virtues of my K1200S and R1200R. Honda folks probably need that perspective.

Pete

It's a free world my friend, have at it....

T.... What really impressed me was the price, $8500 w/o ABS, for a brand new 2010 mid-size sport-touring bike.

In comparison to what BMW is offering and the price difference, I think it would be hard not to choose the Honda.

That's a pretty steep discount, Honda's list price is $10,000 for the non-ABS, and $11,000 with ABS. I'm glad Honda is bringing the bike here and I hope it sells for them. Personally I'd have to consider BMW's F800ST although I really don't like the bags, and it's seat isn't as comfortable as the NV700. But it makes much more power than Honda's 25 year old designed Hawk engine, and it has a 6 speed which the Honda could use. BMW's belt drive, if it's as reliable as Harley's, would not be a disadvantage to a drive shaft IMO.

I just picked up an NT700 myself and am loving it. (Its NT not NV by the by) The reviews stating it to be somewhat underpowered and overweight IMHO just don't pan out. Compared to the F800, yes it weighs in more and has less power, but with 600 miles on mine I'd have to say I find neither to be an issue. Really its more about what you expect/want from a machine. Had I not known the stated weight I'd have put it around 500 pounds, it feels light when pushing it around in a parking lot or on gravel; goes up on the center stand as easy as my airhead R100 with jammer and bags. Once you get to understand the power band it can pass a line of cars, carve the mountains and get you away from troubling spots in traffic with ease. the motor is a proven design with very little maintenance (and shaft drive) and the body work comes off much easier than my LT (which it is actually replacing as I don't need a long haul machine/rolling arm chair!). Priced right and fills a market that has very little competition here in the states. I think it may well find a good market, first middle-weight touring/commuter bike that caught my eye in years. It behaves well in stop and go, no heat issues and very lgiht clutch. With its short wheel base and great ergomonics somewhere between a full out sports bike and say an LT, its very quick, responsive and comfortable. Most fun I've have on a machine in years!

It has gotten good reviews overall and has been popular in Europe for years as a two up touring machine.
Here's some pics from our maiden vouage thru Western VA on some lovely valley roads and over a few mountains..8 hours solid riding and I got home relaxed and less tired than from a ride on either of my other machines.

NT700--03.jpg

NT700--04.jpg

NT700--05.jpg

NT700--06.jpg

NT700--07.jpg

NT700--08.jpg

NT700--13.jpg

NT700--14.jpg

NT700--15.jpg

NT700--17.jpg

Very Pleased I is!
RM

If BMW offered a range of bikes that suited my needs, then I'd only buy BMW's. But, sadly, they don't.

We just bought one of the NT700's. Only been using it to commute for the last two days so it has barely over 100 miles on it.

We bought it because it is a dependable, low maintenance, mid range cc bike. I don't need 100hp to get me from my house to my workplace. or anywhere else for that matter. All but three of the bikes we own are sub 1000cc (2 Guzzi EV's and an R1200C excepted)

First 'tank' of fuel I averaged 58 mpg. Its comfy, ergos are nice, and so far, it accelerates nicely and handles quite well in 35+ mph crosswinds.

The integrated bags... .good and bad. Good, they look nice and I like the 'pass through' between them. Nice to have for tent poles or the occasional loaf of french bread or sub sandwich. :) And they aren't so huge that you have to have a wide load sign on the back of the bike. I don't like them because they are a bit on the small side. But there is a nice flat package tray, so to speak, behind the pillion. You can either mount a top box or it'll hold a tail bag without it flopping all over creation.

Screen is adjustable, there are two small glove boxes (for lack of a better word) to stuff paperwork or sunglasses in. One is lockable the other not. Alternator puts out enough juice to power heated grips and gear.

Has a center stand.

What I don't like so far. When you abruptly let off on the throttle, or when you brake hard, the front end dives a bit too much, but we had them put some heavier oil in the forks and that helped. The left side drivers peg, side stand and center stand are real close together, so when you go to put the side stand down, you have to fish for it.

I can understand why folks call it the Dullville. Its a down to Earth, basic, no frills Honda. Time will tell if I really like the bike, but so far, I love it.

there is a new forum, NT-owners.com in the US for this machine, several very competent riders have done some work, including valve adjustment, on this machine and have posted how-to's and such, after market add ons, etc. I just put on the large (52 liter) Givi top case and it handles it very well. Come on over....

RM

Back