• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Russell Seat and body weight

EGRAHAM

Club President
Anyone bought a 2nd hand seat, made by the main seat builders? In buying a 2nd hand seat, what are you looking for? If I'm 225, waist 36 what is the size range that I can consider? Do I look at +- 40-50#'s and +- 3 inches in waist size, assuming waist size somehow correlates to ass size? Thanks.

Graham, I have a Russel on my GSPD that was made for a guy that weighed over 200lbs. I weigh 145, but the seat is still very comfortable. From the Russel website, I learned that they put in stiffer "wings" for over 200lbs, I think it was. They will also recut the seat for $150 if you need it. Based on my experience, I would look for one made for the over 200 crowd and try it before making any mods.
Tom

Previous owner?

Do you have any sense of how big and heavy the previous owner was? That would give you a pretty good idea. I got a new Russell Day-Long earlier this year and the builder nailed it perfectly to my height, weight, riding position. The saddle is built so that when you sit the saddle your butt slides right into a "pocket" that has been built to fit it perfectly. They recommend you get the heavyweigh suspension if you weigh 225 or more or for your passenger if they weigh over 150. I weigh about 260 and I got the heavyweight suspension, it makes a big difference. Russell Day-Long is a great saddle, I love mine. Don

Anyone bought a 2nd hand seat, made by the main seat builders? In buying a 2nd hand seat, what are you looking for? If I'm 225, waist 36 what is the size range that I can consider? Do I look at +- 40-50#'s and +- 3 inches in waist size, assuming waist size somehow correlates to ass size? Thanks.

I bought a used Russell Daylong one year ago off E-Bay for $ 468.00 a new one exactly like mine would have been $ 1130.00 including shipping. I e-mailed the seller and ask the weight and inseam the seat was built for. it was built for a 31" inseam and for a rider weight of 180 to 200 Lbs. my inseam is 32" and I weigh 245 Lbs. the seat works fine for me. hope this helps with your decision.

Graham, I also bought a used one and it was made in 99. I am 270# so I asked about his weight and he was around what I weigh. Since I have put it on I have logged more miles as it feels like being in a recliner. :)

There were a few wear marks on the front seat so I talked to Russel to see what it would cost to have it recovered and was told $250 and that is for new foam as well.

Sean

I also have a Russell

The relevant information for Russell is weight and inseam. As others have said Russell seats have springs in them and they add a spring for heavier people. If the original owner did a ride in fitting, as I did, they would further adjust the foam to any input you give them as to high spots to fit your individual tush. They adjust the "pocket" for your body lean or cant. At this point the seat can be adjusted for arm reach, bar backs etc. In most cases, any aftermarket custom woud likely be an improvement over stock even if not the very best that could be obtained. I have about 125K on my seat and never stop because of pain. I routinely do 700+ mile days on an 1150GS.

Back