• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Skip the GPS for Google Maps Navigation

One other thing...

Even if you DO use (and rely upon) a GPS or your smart phone, you should always be carrying paper maps as backup. I try to find maps that show a lot of detail (small backroads) for the areas in which I am riding.

In the Northeast, JIMAPCO (?) has some pretty detailed maps. In fact, the state of MA is broken into 2 regions (east/west) so all the detail is in a reasonably-size foldable map. Not sure if they have states outside the NE. I've been surprised at the (almost) "trails" that are shown on their maps! Good for a GS, I suppose!

Old school, I still use a map.
+1

I have an iPhone, and the google map app works well, but it really sucks power. Sometimes I'll look at it in a restaurant or gas station. And its helpful to input a specific address before I leave, then pull over and look at it later when I get close. But when I'm on the bike its in my pocket, and a paper map is on my tankbag.

I've used it more in my car because I can have it plugged in my car's charger. Even then, I'll usually pull over because I don't like looking at the small screen while driving. When my wife is with me in the car, though, whoever isn't driving can use it and be the navigator.

What do you do when you're out of cell phone service? Google Maps can't stream to your phone on the move without a decent 3G signal, so if you're riding in the boonies, you need a GPS with a built-in map database. Otherwise, all you'll see is a dot on an otherwise blank screen.

I too thought I'd ditch my Garmin upon getting my Droid, but I've since learned otherwise.

good info

Thanks for all the input! It made me stop and rethink the option. Originally thinking that one of the new Droids would save me $$$. Only one piece of equipment to buy. Of course that introduces the point of single failure. : ( I prefer the back roads, as most all of you, and I am sure there won't be a good or any signal at all. I have experienced this before in my small trips around the state (of course that might be due to the carriers in the area). I also paid more attention to the fact that I do look at the display in my 4 wheel beast than I originally thought I did. Now to plan on a dedicated GPS unit. I always carry a state map to help me find the big picture for routes. :lurk

I don't trust my GPS.

I see the mistakes it makes in my town on streets I know.

Wouldn't be fun in a strange town trying to get somewhere.

It's good used as a "You Are Here" sort of thing.

When it dies I'm not replacing it.

I'll go back to copying a map black and white and highlighting the route.

Glad i kept my map pocket. :laugh

Just another FYI, there are other options for the Droid and any other phone with the Android OS. One example is Mapdroyd, more info here > http://www.androidfreeware.net/download-mapdroyd.html, which pre-downloads and stores info on the phone before you head out so no network connectivity is needed. Your mileage may vary. Hopefully TomTom and Garmin will create a Android app with dedicated maps someday. Actually, I am pretty sure Garmin is working on something.

Did a little more searching and found this too > http://www.andnav.org/

IMO, I believe that dedicated GPS units are a thing of the past. Smartphones will be doing it all soon (well, they have always been able to do everything, just not very well, they are getting much better finally) And for you people that like to use paper maps, STOP killing trees!:bolt

When you buy a GPS, you are relying on the mapping data that the GPS manufacturer has purchased from a third party. GPS mapping data is provided to manufacturers by several different outfits: NAVTEQ and TeleAtlas are two of the most often used. When I shop for a GPS, I am actually shopping for the provider of mapping data as well as the GPSr technology. After all, a really snazzy unit with all the bells and whistles that's just perfect for my bike may not have the best mapping data.

As I recall, most Garmin units use NAVTEQ mapping data and Tom-Tom units use TeleAtlas data. So, what's the difference? NAVTEQ has always been spot-on in my neck of the woods. However, a buddy with a Tom-Tom GPS reports that he ran into a few errors several years ago but recently seems to be satisfied with the TeleAtlas data. This is merely anecdotal data and YMMV, but the lesson is that you should think carefully about the map data provider and not just the GPS unit.

I believe that most online mapping sites (MapQuest, Rand McNally, etc) use NAVTEQ data. You can tell what data is being used by noting the copyright info at the bottom of the map window. Google is a bit different; I believe they use proprietary mapping data. Check your area on these online mapping sites. Do the new/changed roads in your area show up?

In my personal experience, I have sometimes found Google mapping to be a bit frustrating. Those of you who know the White Mountains in northern NH are aware of the Kancamagus Hwy and, possibly, know a connecting road between it and Rt. 302 to Bartlett, NH known as Bear Notch Road. BNR is a delightful ride with amazing turns and beautiful vistas...and it is closed during the late fall to early spring. Thus, Google maps will not route you over it since they have marked it "seasonal". MapQuest, however, DOES route you over it and notes that is it a seasonal road. Google = proprietary data, MapQuest = NAVTEQ data. I do not own a TeleAtlas-based GPS so I don't know what their data would do with Bear Notch Road.

Lastly, when you shop for GPS units, check the manufacturers map data updating services. Check the prices, of course, but also check the frequency of updates. The frequency of NAVTEQ, TeleAtlas and others having mapping data update available to the manufacturer does not dictate the frequency the the GPS manufacturer actually offers updates to their customers. I believe most mapping data is updated about quarterly, but manufacturers might only have yearly updates.

See you in the White Mountains...

IMO, I believe that dedicated GPS units are a thing of the past. Smartphones will be doing it all soon (well, they have always been able to do everything, just not very well, they are getting much better finally) And for you people that like to use paper maps, STOP killing trees!:bolt
I don't think that's the case.

Dedicated GPSs can be designed for the function needed (say - motorcycle navigating, with big buttons, simplified big display, a direct sunlight readable display) where the smartphone is fitting the application to the device. I really prefer the tactile feedback REAL buttons give me on the bike.. when wearing gloves, on-screen buttons just don't do it. The Navigator series from BMW has real buttons.

The smart phones all seem to be going to touch screen - and the touch screen is designed for bare-finger use. Using it with gloves? Well - that to me would be a distraction, and I don't need distractions when riding the bike. That, along with the need for a lot of connect time really makes this solution impractical for me.

YMMV... as may your GPS solution..

IMO, I believe that dedicated GPS units are a thing of the past. Smartphones will be doing it all soon
(well, they have always been able to do everything, just not very well, they are getting much better finally)
And for you people that like to use paper maps, STOP killing trees!:bolt

Stop killing us w/ those "SmartPhones"... Get them out of any moving vehicle including Bluetooth Helmets. SmartPhone is a complete oxyMORON.

As for maps... Mine are printed on recycled materials. :whistle

Just curious if any of you have, or considered skipping the traditional GPS unit and are using the Google Maps Navigation on a cell phone with an intercom system?

Just thinking one less device to haul around. :heart

Thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences?

Yes, I have been thinking about this option also. Since I have to carry my work Blackberry with me a lot of the time anyway.

I was over in Germany in January on business and had my Blackberry with me. While there, I downloaded the Google Maps client. It worked really well in Germany. I did a lot of walking and riding public transportation. It helped me find the streets, railway stations, and even while riding on the train, I could tell in advance what station I was approaching, helping me not miss my get off point.

However, I did notice that the map refresh could not keep up with the higher speed trains, and sometimes became unusable. But for general getting around at slower speeds (and even in a rental car) it did not work too bad.

Now I have been trying to use the Blackberry - Google maps here in the states and in many places I am finding that the map refresh can not keep up even in slow speed situations.

The other problem I see for using on my bike is the small screen size. I do prefer the sort of oblique view of the streets you get on a dedicated GPS device. And the dedicated GPS devices do not have any problem with map refresh speeds.

I think someday the Blackberry's, iPhones, etc. will get there with the speed and access points, but I probably will still have an issue with the small screen.

Actually, I probably could get by just fine with my trusted set of state Department of Transportation maps and my Blackberry - Google Maps setup. I usually have the most problem finding my way around in the towns and cities anyway. :german
:usa

Ditto on the no cell service, no Google Maps. When you need it most it is not available. I have a new HTC smart phone operating on T-Mobile's network. Google Maps is a convenience but it is no where near as quick and easy to use as my Garmin Zumo even in the heart of Denver where I get full 3G speed..

My company-issued Crackberry has TelNav (for which my company pays $9.95 per month!), and while it is handy, it can be very annoying. One thing the REALLY chaps my ass about it is the fact that the brains are elsewhere and it must access that remote-server trough the mobile network...causing lags that are sometimes bad enough to make me miss a turn because I'm still waiting for the next direction to download! :bluduh

I like my Zumo better in most regards, but it has weaknesses too...its method for inputting addresses is much more cumbersome than that of TelNav, and I learned in the field that it doesn't have an easy way to reverse a route! That one was a real pain in the ass.

{snip}... it doesn't have an easy way to reverse a route!...{snip}

I hear ya' Veg. What is so hard about reordering waypoints. I think this is a Garmin thing 'cause my Nuvi 550 is the same way.

One thing I have started doing is to plan my routes in MapQuest and, with the Garmin Communicator plug-in, download the route to the GPS. If I am on an out and back trip through unfamiliar roads and have time restrictions, I reverse the route in MapQuest and download the return trip.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a "Reverse Route" button. Hello? Garmin? You there?

I have done the navigation with maps and with a GPS.

I always plan the trip with maps, usually on Google Maps, and print out the route to carry as a backup.

GPS is a great thing for me because I am somewhat directionally challenged. If I have maps, I'm fine. The thing I like about having a GPS is that it allows me to relax and enjoy the trip. With maps, I am always looking for the next turn and if I miss the turn, I have to backtrack and get back on the same route as the map. I have missed turns using maps that cost me 15 minutes or more. I have missed turns with the GPS and it has never cost me more than a few minutes. Often, you can miss the turn and not lose any time at all because it automatically recalculates the route and you just keep moving without the need to backtrack.

The thing I really like about the GPS is the freedom to explore. You can just head down a road that looks interesting and not worry about getting lost. This is particularly nice if you prefer the two lane highways and county roads, like I do. I don't have a problem riding on the interstate except for the boredom. I have taken extended trips on two lane highways where I only occasionally see another car. If the two lane road is parallel to an interstate, you may not see many cars at all. I like rolling through all the little towns and before the GPS it was easy to miss the turns in town you need to make just to stay on the same highway you are already on. It is amazing to me how many are just not marked.

I hear ya' Veg. What is so hard about reordering waypoints. I think this is a Garmin thing 'cause my Nuvi 550 is the same way.

One thing I have started doing is to plan my routes in MapQuest and, with the Garmin Communicator plug-in, download the route to the GPS. If I am on an out and back trip through unfamiliar roads and have time restrictions, I reverse the route in MapQuest and download the return trip.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a "Reverse Route" button. Hello? Garmin? You there?

The older Garmins, my QuestII for example, did have a reverse route button. On the Zumo, I just look at the turquoise breadcrumb trail that is onscreen to reverse a route...you have to have the tracking feature on, but it is adequate for most back tracks for me...no audible turns however.

But, I agree it is a feature they should have left available on the newer models

Try an iPad and have more big screen fun

4582138537_8c79804314_m.jpg
Lots of great comments. I sometimes print out google maps using the advanced no highways settings and drag the road around to where I want to go and print. Unfortunately, you cannot do this on an iPhone (or iPad for that matter). The iPhone works great for a quick where am I but doesn't do very well if you have traveled for hours and are now in a location without a data connection (frequent).

When I purchased my iPad I couldn't wait to get it on the bike. The screen is huge versus the usual GPS units. I wrote it up here. http://www.henshall.com/stuart/2010...better-than-a-laptop-or-notebook-for-certain/ One thing the iPad does do well is retain the map. I'm yet to "lose" having access to the map on it although my wifi version won't give me location if my mobile hotspot can't find good old AT&T. The 3G version will cure the location and has the potential to be a very effective GPS - although note you can't see it in the sun. Mapquest can provide turn by turn but not yet in an ipod format. iPhone upsized.

Of note Nokia launched their Ovi Maps and these are downloaded to the phone. Thus a connection is not necessary for directions.

So.... a dedicated bike GPS unit is definitely still the best choice, although if you can read a map and like to wander... these phones are getting pretty good. The iPad also provides all the satellite view, hybrid views, etc. and can offer details on the hotel etc too and a movie in the tent.

Happy Riding!

GPS vs 3G (vs maps)

In modern smartphones like the Droid, GPS and cellular/3G connectivity are completely different. GPS-enabled smarthphones have a dedicated chip for GPS functionality and do not rely on CDMA or GSM. With the GPS off, the phone determines location by triangulating from the cell towers to which it's connected, which is less accurate and subject to reception issues.

One caveat about the Droid: it seems to require a celluar connection to get the initial GPS fix; after that, you can completely shut off data/cellular and use just GPS, which should circumvent poor reception issues. See http://tinyurl.com/2437sem for more info.

That said - I think the Droid makes a lousy bike GPS, due to poor visibility in sunlight, size of touchscreen, mounting issues, battery life, etc. And fiddling with my phone while I'm riding - in gloves - would scare me senseless. I use good ol' paper maps for the bulk of navigation, and occasionally pull over and consult the Droid for "where the fugawi?" issues. It generally does a great job for that type of navigating out of wherever I wound up "by accident."

G-Spot - does the Droid have all the maps in memory? If not - how does it obtain them as you move from map-area to map-area?

G-Spot - does the Droid have all the maps in memory? If not - how does it obtain them as you move from map-area to map-area?

I use Verizon, so reception isn't an issue for me very often. But I love my Droid, so this thread got me thinking...and researching...

Map images are not stored in memory, ala Garmin/TomTom. Map images are downloaded from the web whenever you search, show your present location, etc. Some map data is cached - you can see the 3-4 adjacent map screens and some zoom levels. But beyond that, new images are downloaded via 3G.

I did some testing. 3G does the initial GPS fix, handles downloading new map screens, and looks up point-to-point directions. GPS is required for turn-by-turn spoken directions and for Garmin/TomTom-style screen display (showing the car icon and the highlighted blue 'route'). However: since the phone uses 3G to download and display any new map screens, the built-in GPS is a plus - but with no 3G service, the phone can't grab new maps, look up addresses, etc and is definitely less "full-function" than a standalone GPS.

This got me thinking about GPS and offline maps. I'll post some links etc shortly.

This is just a little FYI for those who are not familiar with Google Maps NAVIGATION which comes on certain "smart" phones that run on an operating system called Android. (version 2.0 and above)

It is a fully feldged navigation system equal if not better to dedicated GPS devices from Garmin etc. It can give turn by turn directions and nice big visual cues. Since all current Android phones have bluetooth, bluetooth headsets work great with it.

DISADVANTAGES: not waterproof and can not use the touchscreen with gloves on, at least those are the only ones I have run into so far.

Most of the time, I will just pull up a map location on my Droid, hit navigate to it. Stick the phone in my pocket and let the directions stream over bluetooth to my headset in my Nolan N103......sometimes while listening to music.

Still working out how to text while riding :nono

Good luck with all that and I hope you survive to post #6. ;)

Back