• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any tips for removing front wheel?

GILLY

What, me worry?
Am going to get the front tire replaced at only 7500 miles. Tire just showed up at my door 5 minutes ago. Need to remove the wheel. Planning on taking pics and maybe doing a DIY article.
Only question is, without having a wheel lift, if I want to do this solo, on what to use to hold the rear of the bike down to get the front wheel up to pull the axle and roll out the wheel?
Is it neccesary to pull the calipers? Have a home made tool to remove the axle itself.
I want to do this tonight, so am a little time-critical. If I can't find a safe way to do this, I'll use the buddy system.
Gilly

Gilly - I got the front wheel jackjust for the purpose. Also afaik you need to remove the calipers to pull the wheel off.

In the User Manual there is a section on removing the front wheel. You need to remove certain bolts and not others.

Good Luck! will be intersting to see how you do this.

The buddy system i know will work. The only problem is my "buddy" is too light to push the back down far enough to remove the wheel. So I might be doing the pushing and she might be pulling the axle out. Yes, I know about only removing the one pinch bolt. Will check owners manual to be sure.
Trying to remember how to start a DIY thread, if I need authorization to do that. Also, how did I do that thing where I could make the cirles and line and text on my photos?
Gilly

Got the wheel removed, so all set to have the tire replaced tomorrow. I'm not doing the tire myself.
Will get something written up after i get the pictures of reinstallation.
It was pretty crude what I did, but I believe might help someone out in a desperate situation. Or someone as cheap as i am.
Gilly

In my shop at our previous house (in Kansas) I had a stout beam affixed directly above the lift. I could put the bike and lift up, attach the straps, lower the lift, and leave the bike hanging from the ceiling. Didn't do it often, but ...

Our bikes (even the K75s that came with one) do not have belly pans so my shop scissors jack under the front engine hard parts is what I always do when applicable, but ....

That hanging trick sure was slick the few times I needed to do it.

... I could put the bike and lift up, attach the straps, lower the lift, and leave the bike hanging from the ceiling...

In our shop we used a slight variation on that method. We locked the lift at working height, and used a come-along (bars to rafters) to raise the front of the bike. That way, we did not rely on the lift being able to hold the level of elevation.

(BTW, This also works if you don't have a lift.)

The plan for the current lift is to install a pair of U bolts on the platform, each side of the rear wheel. Then I will be able to use a ratchet strap to pull the rear end down.

Last edited:
Back