• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OK, Why BMW and Why Buy New?

Welcome Tom !

I will put in a vote for the R1200R. My bike is a release day bike which was received in November 2006 (2007 model year). I had seen some promotional photos in some magazines and when I drove by the dealership, they were unpacking the bike. I came close to driving into the ditch while looking at the machine, and turned around to go look closely at it. I was due in court for a hearing for a client, so asked the sales manager to prep the bike for an afternoon ride when I got clear of work. Later that day I took it on a 40 mile test ride on a look I use for testing new motorcycles, and when I landed back in the parking lot I got off the machine, stared at it about 5 minutes while getting out of the riding gear, and promptly wrote a check for it. I love every minute on the machine and am always reminded of the comment the mechanic made to me when I picked up the bike: "That is the only motorcycle you will ever need".

Good points: Long range, comfortable (after adding a Rick Mayer seat), can carry the same luggage the RT does. Easy to work on. Cheaper labor costs for service than the RT (no plastic to remove/replace). Can embarrass crotch rocket drivers even while carrying the luggage. Bad Points: None, really. The stock seat sucks and the BMW windscreens may or may not work for a particular rider depending on a lot of variables.

I lusted after the GS and the RT for a long while, but doing a reality check: I do not go off-road much at all, and do not really plan on going to Alaska on a bike, so no real need for any tall suspension and 7 gallon tank. The RT is the same bike as the RR internally, but with the addition of the fairings. This is good in cold/rainy situations, but in south Louisiana in the summer (95 degrees and 90% humidity) the fairing is so good at blocking wind that you can easily get severely overheated and generally feel miserable (like the HD guys with the big jugs between their legs!). For the relatively few days we have of cold weather, electric lines in the gear work very well.

As far as new vs. used, caveat emptor and know the bike. If you are close to a dealership, having them give a prospective purchase the once-over is a good investment. I do not purchase extended warranties simply because I have made the actuarial decision that in probably 90 percent of the time, nothing happens and I have saved a whole lot of money. All things break eventually and I accept that risk and deal with the issues when they happen. Preventive maintenance goes a long way to stopping the expensive stuff before it gets out of hand and is way cheaper than extended warranty costs in most instances. I keep vehicles a long time, so I generally come out ahead on all my costs. When something totally blows up, I go buy something else !.

As noted, German vehicle engineering is "unique". It has a certain feel to it that is hard to articulate, but is very easily noticed by most people. Last year we purchased a BMW 328i for my wife that is an absolute joy to drive. I took it up to the Dragon and other good roads up that way, and was having as much fun with it as if I was on the bike. I had the same big grin on my face !! About a month ago, I traded in my 1999 Tahoe diesel (305000 miles) on a new BMW X5 35d, and I love that machine. It is as fun to drive as the 328, and gets the same 30mpg on the road ! It also has over 500 mile range on an 18 gallon tank.

Short answer to whats different about BMW anything: "Ultimate Driving/Riding Machine"

So far, I am totally happy with the RR and have no current plans to change.:thumb
Here is my full blog on the bike:

http://www.dualsportridersoflouisia...d.php?2378-BMW-R1200R-report&highlight=R1200r

We have a specific R1200R board here:
http://www.r1150r.org/board/viewforum.php?f=20

Do a search on "Chitown" and see what Joe does with his RR. It seems to think it is a GS !

One thing I would suggest is that you take an MSF or Harley Riders Edge basic rider course to refresh your skills. Since you have indicated that you are a reentry rider, that is the best money you can spend to get up to speed before you go back into the combat zone of the open road. We even have long-time riders who take the course with significant others and they always comment that they learned something they did not know which could save a crash.

As I sit now in Germany, stranded due to the volcanic ash that has paralyzed European air travel, I'm pondering your question. I'm also thinking about the fun I should be having over here, like renting a bike to head south to the Alps! Yes, I got stranded in Germany due to the volcano....what luck?? I did at least run by the local BMW dealer here (both autos and motorcycles.....WOW)!!

Last year I purchased my first bike, a '95 BMW R1100RS. I'm a "late in life" biker. The kids are grown, and I have a job that provides more free time than some previous.

When I started looking at the brand that I wanted to buy, it was a real toss-up. I liked the idea of "American made" but really didn't see myself in the HD "culture" of black leather, doo-rags and wallets on a dog chain. Then I looked at Victory....nice bikes, took a test drive and parked it and walked away with that one scratched off my list.

I didn't consider any of the Japanese brands, but had BMW in my mind from the get-go. Just kept having this little voice suggest "BMW". So, started seriously looking at the brand. The more I looked, the more I was impressed. Of course, the engineering is excellent. Their reputation is excellent. I didn't want to spend the money on a new bike and BMW kept jumping up as a quality bike that could run upwards of 200,000 miles.

This forum also helped persuade me. Check out some of the other forums and you'll see that this is a group of gentlemen and ladies, for the most part. Compare this forum to some others and you'll wonder about being part of their crowd. The folks here are helpful, and almost never condescending, rude or downright profane as you'll see on some of the other forums. This forum speaks volumes about the quality of BMW owners, and I think that is also a reflection of the quality of the BMW bikes they own.

There's a certain cachet about owning/riding a BMW, can't deny that. And, at this point in life, I'm liking that, too.

I bought used because I don't think I'll be running a huge number of miles on my bike. A used one will probably run me as long as I want to run. Not to mention the cost. Saved a bundle over buying new.

Also, I purchased from a highly reputable BMW dealer. They have an outstanding reputation, I like that. I paid a bit on the high end when I look at the Blue Book price for my bike, but am comfortable in the knowledge that a reputable dealer went through it (serviced it, replaced some pads, a tire, etc) thoroughly. I also have the service records from the previous owner. Those things were of value to me.

So, I've put a couple of thousand on my bike. I've been to a Tech Day of the local BMW club, met some nice folks, and been on a couple of rides with some of them. Am I happy with my decisions? You bet!

Good luck on making yours!

piperjim

I'm new to the BMW bikes having owned various Japanese bikes over the last 30 + years of riding bikes. I have nothing against any bike manufacturer I just wanted to try something different and always had an interest in trying a boxer. Having owned a couple of first generation goldwings I'm kind of partial to the boxer engine design.

I tend to always buy used bikes. I'm pretty good at wrenching, having restored a couple of older bikes from salvage status to daily runners so I don't mind getting my hands dirty.

I have found that I no longer like the bigger heavier bikes. I tour a bit but probably 80 % of my driving is trips of 100 miles or less.

I ended up buying a R1100R in excellent shape with about 30 K miles. Bike was well looked after and looks like new. I have done 400-500 mile days on the bike and yes the stock seat sucks ( padded bicycle shorts - cheaper than some aftermarket seats that don't work, worked fine for me ) and the windshield is a bit small for me. These are the only negatives and they are fixable.

The bike is quick, nimble and very easy to ride. As others have said you sit in it not on it. I think the GS is an excellent bike but unless you are going to use its capabilities you might be further ahead looking at the R models with luggage etc.

In the end try a couple of different boxer models and buy what meets your needs.

I think the GS is an excellent bike but unless you are going to use its capabilities you might be further ahead looking at the R models with luggage etc.

In the end try a couple of different boxer models and buy what meets your needs.

The GS met my needs despite the fact that I have very little off-pavement ambition. No bike (BMW or otherwise) had better ergonomics for me than the GS, so that's what I bought and I couldn't be happier. It just does everything so damned well.

This is VERY significant and is the reason I would not own ANY automotive product not made in Germany.

Hmmm.........what model of BMW/MB/VW-Porsche-audi do you own that has no non-german content? You must be riding / driving something really old.

Last edited:
Why BMW

I have commuted on a BMW for the last 10 years and many major cross country and international trips on my 1200RT.

I have never been broken down ONCE or stranded, not ONCE.

The Beemer brakes, (ABS) are really good and more than anything else have saved my bacon more than I can count. They stop you without turning the bike sideways.

I also own a Harley Road King and the bike is great looking, sounds great and truly American, and I love 'em but I never ride the thing alone. Sorry guys, but Harley's are mechanically crap. The bolts rust, stuff falls off, crazy things that shouldn't happen. Also the accessories are all made in China but cost like they were made in America.

They also seem have a stopping distance greater than your average car which isn't great in emergencies.

BMW started out manufacturing aircraft engines. Harley started out with farm implements. Kind of says it all.

Ride safe

I've bought 3 Beemers. Each time, I bought new, and haven't regretted the purchase, ever.

1975 R60/6 - still have it - somewhere upwards of 100,000 miles
2003 R1200 CLC - just recently totaled (rear-ended) 85,500 + miles
2010 R1200 RT - just bought and have maybe 300 miles

Interestingly, I never took any for a test ride except for the CLC. What can a test ride really tell you? There's not enough time. I didn't like the CLC (what are these newfangled disk brakes, let alone power brakes), but I read enough comments over on Chromeheads from folks who'd had all sorts of Beemers, and they loved the bike - so I bought it on faith. Alas, they don't make CLC's anymore, so the next logical choice was the RT.

I heard it was a good bike. I know I will not be disappointed.

I tend to keep the bikes, so I don't care about depreciation. I'm in for the long haul, and there's nothing like a brand-new bike with a good warranty. The longer you ride, the less it costs. That's how I see it. Then, again, my rides have always been workhorse commuter bikes, and not weekend pleasure riding.

The only new cars I've ever bought were station wagons...

WHY BMW: They make me smile when riding them.
WHY NEW: I finally could - cash - and since the last new bike I bought was in 1974, the next one will probably be an electric wheel chair..

Love the R1200R - best thing BMW has made in decades IMHO. I smile every time I get on it.

GOOD Advice Indeed

I will join Reddbike in saying what a whole lot of tremendously good advice there is on this thread. Thank goodness I recently reached my "toy limit" so I am not in the market for anything with any number or size of wheel driven by a motor.

Anyways, me, I buy new when I can afford it, and I only buy stuff that reaches out and grabs my soul. My three beemer bikes I bought without riding them, and the same goes for the four wheel devices around here. I dont regret owning any vehicle I ever bought once I grew up (26 years old or thereabouts).
Cheers
Andres:burnout

Hmmm.........what model of BMW/MB/VW-Porsche-audi do you own that has no non-german content? You must be riding / driving something really old.

Actually what was in error in my "made in Germany" statement is the fact my SUV was made in Alabama.

No, the "made in Germany" thing is the tradition of German engineering--which transfers to wherever the vehicle is finally assembled and to particular components produced anywhere. Yes, lots of Delphi in my diesel injection.

Only my first motorcycle (Honda 305 Dream) was bought new. All subsequent bikes have been used. Buying used allows me to get a bike that has options I like at a price I can afford. New would be nice but most motorcycles built in the last 5 > 8 years will outlast thier warrantee before suffering major problems. My CLC was bought in Jan 2007, had 932 miles on the odometer, and still was under warantee until Oct 2009. My 2006 Softtail was bought during Daytona bike week and had only 4203 miles on it. Be patient when looking for "new" wheels, know what the Blue Book value is, throughly scan the bikes appearence, ask for service documentation, and ride the bike before plunking down your hard earned cash. I'm keeping my CLC and Softail, selling my Sportster, and planning on buying a 2>3 year old RT in about 2 years. ABS is a must & Cruise Control is great on the slab, few other bikes lend thenselves to long distance cruising and twisty roads like the RT. Ride Safe :usa :usa

I have no idea why you'd buy a new bike, unless of course you want the very latest technology. For me, my ride is all about safety, and traction control is very tempting to this Pacific North-wet rider.

However, if you don't mind yesterday's technology, used is the only way to go.

My next bike? Another BMW twin NO doubt at all. They work for me, they do SO many things well, great all-around machines that fulfill my everyday riding needs, and my riding plans for years to come. Plus I am very familiar with BMW twins, as I am still riding the same R1100RS for almost 16 years.

My next BMW as a brand new bike? Not likely. I just can't justify it for myself. I bought my 94 R1100RS with 3k on it in Oct 94, for a LOT less than brand new. Yet, at 3k miles on it when I bought it, it was a NEW bike to me. So my next BMW twin purchase is most likely a low-miles used R1200R.
It's just,.......right,...as a bike, and as a BMW.

Just a dissenting note....I prefer buying new. I have lived in the boonies 1 to 4 hours from any dealer) for about 12 years and do most or all of my own maintenance. So, besides the fact that I desire and appreciate the latest technology and have always been drawn to the latest K bike tech and style, new is more reliable (usually) than a used bike while I get used to it, etc. I keep my bikes long enough and put enough miles on them that I am no longer concerned about depreciation. My K12RS is worth far more to me than it is on the open market, so is the new 13S. Since 1994 we have purchased 5 BMWs new.

I bought my first bike in 1970 when I was stationed at Fort Ord, California. It was a brand new 350 Honda CB and it cost me a grand total of $777.00 I rode the bike there for a just over a year and it was a great bike for bee bopping around up and down the coast.

My second bike was a 750 BSA Rocket III purchased used a few years later. My brother-in-law was English and talked me into it. Like most English bikes of that era it was less than reliable and performance was pittiful. A friend of mine had a 500 Kawasaki and could clean my clock without breaking a sweat.

I gave up riding for many years as I lived in the east and the season was short. Kids came along and priorities changed.

When I retired and lived on the west coast in Vancouver I took up riding again. I bought a used Victory Vegas (I just couldn't bring myself to by an H-D). The Victory was a great bike. While vacationing in Ontario a friend of mine let me ride his K1200GT and I was spoiled after that.

I finally decided to trade up to BMW so when I started looking around for a GT there were none available in my area so on a visit to a dealer I test drove a 2006 K1200S and what a rush. The bike had only 2800 KM's on it (that's around 1700 miles for you none metric types) and was in excellent shape. I love the handling and power of the bike but the riding stance is a bit aggressive and I'll probably end up trading it in on a GT in the coming years.

Since then my wife has converted to BMW and purchased a used 2008 F800ST. It only had 1300 KM on it. So there's deals out there on low KM bikes.

Unfortunately, I don't have the space to have a fleet of bikes in my garage like some of the other more fortunate people contributing to this post. I'm green with envy.

New or used? I think good used bikes and good deals can be had if your willing to shop around. Andrea's bike had 18 months of warranty which protects her purchase. Mine didn't but it was so lightly used that I felt confident taking a risk. Both were purchased from a reputable BMW dealer and we felt confident in both the product and the dealership. How's that for a win win situation?

cbcK1200S - Colin

Back