• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rocketman's New Ride

R

rocketman

About two weeks ago I saw an NT700V in a dealer while looking at the Concurs and it just jumped out and said "buy Me!"....

It will be replacing a K1200LT which I have found is just WAY to big for what I want and for the kind of riding I do. Mostly I like 2-lane blacktops and exploring the back roads of the eastern seaboard area. Been riding for over 40 years, stated riding at 15 back in 1965 in Thailand where my family was stationed and have owned a bike since 1970. This is my first New bike in 37 years, everything in between has been a used machine, so I am Really looking forward to the thrill of owning a Brand New machine.

When I sold my R60/5 that I had set up for sport riding back in 04 I have always wanted to replace her with another sporty bike but a bit more comfortable and capable.

Well now I have!

Last Wednesday I dropped by MFI (a local Honda dealer) since its right on my way home, just to see if they might have an NT700V to look at, turns out they had two, one silver and one in red. Hmmmm. Sat on the silver one, put her up on the side stand just out of curiosity, easy as cutting butter! Easier than my airhead and that is saying a lot!
Now I just went in to look, see? And well

Thursday at noon I returned to take possession of it! Rode about 60 miles, down along the parkway to KhahnÔÇÖs (my imdendent airhead mechanic) in Alexandria Virginia and then back to Rt. 1 with the intent of Actually getting stuck in traffic to she how handled stop and go. The engine behaves very well, no discernible heat flowing back up, clutch is like butter and easy to operate. But then wet-multi-plate clutches generally are and the Japanese bikes have had that and transmission down pat for years.
Nice controls, well placed and simple. Three on the left and 2 on the right, thatÔÇÖs it. IÔÇÖd prefer an Up and Down turn indicator and the button could be placed a little better, not sticking out quite as far, but thatÔÇÖs getting picky. Instruments are easy to see and the clear faceplate doesnÔÇÖt develop a reflection that prevents you from seeing the dash, unlike the LT which in certain situations with sun low and behind almost blinds you.
At the end of my first ride I was thinking I might need to add bar-backs due to the somewhat aggressive riding position, but the next day I found by sitting with my weight shifted forward on my hips and my back straight it took the weight off my arms and the leg position is just right as well. The fairing gives great protection, though I am going to add the knuckle-busters and a taller C-bailey wind screen already available along with a fender extender.
Only bad thing I have read about it really is that the saddle bags are bit weak at the hinges but there may be ways of improving that and bigger lids are available.
I got the non-ABS version with heated grips, power outlet and went with a Givi trunk as the Honda trunk hasnÔÇÖt gotten very good reviews.

Its now three days later and I have 450 miles on mine and absolutely LOVE it. I has a very comfortable ride, I returned less tired than from a similar ride on either my LT (due mostly to its weight) or the 78 airhead, due to it age and the fact that suspensions back then just don't compare to today's machines. The weight of the bike is not an issue for me, weigh very close to my airhead with WindJammer fairing and hard bags. If anything the weight is a bonus, makes for a very stable and firmly planted ride. I purposely tucked in behind an 18 wheeler that create a lot of wind turbulence behind them to see how the bike would do at 70 Mph. No reaction from the bike at all, very nice!
On my second ride on Friday I did about 250 miles along some of my favorite roads including some nice country roads, along some lovely farming valley's and over several mountains about 3000 feet high. In every situation the bike really performed wonderfully. The short wheel base, dual arm swing arm and solid build of the frame really shows off well. Applying power reminded me some of my old brit twins I rode in the 70's, that wonderful thumping as it comes to life. I am convinced Honda make this bike Just For Me! But very disappointed they did not call me and let me know it was available! Ha Ha! This is the perfect fit for me, I like its stability in winds, it feels really firmly planted, something lighter like the F800 wouldnÔÇÖt do for me. On the way back from the local BMW Open house today I did take her up to 6K on a pass in 4 gear, power issues??? I donÔÇÖt think so! Not as fast as other 550 Lbs machines? Well neither is my airhead! On this machine I can ride as quickly as the airhead AND with Tons more confidence, IÔÇÖll settle for that! This bike just may do well here once the word gets out. As a salesman at MortonÔÇÖs said to me today, he read a review that stated ÔÇ£48,000 Europeans canÔÇÖt be wrong!ÔÇØ

So its done and the Rocket cycle Lives once more!

Now for pictures of the ride, It starts along the Potomac River just south of Washington DC, then heads west toward West Virginia that is full on farming valleys tucked between seemingly endless mountain ranges that are anywhere from 2700 to 4300 feet in elevation. I also passed thru several small towns along the way and a National Forest. While I don't usually take pictures of my bike when on my rides, this one being new and all well...I decide to try and find some nice backgrounds, including some old barns and abandoned homes (some of my favorite photography subjects). They cause one to pause and wonder about the life and people they once supported as I wrote in one of my poems called "I Remember" in my "images on Words" series where I combine photo's with thoughts that those images bring to me.
I Love having every other Friday off, I get to go riding and have all the lovely back roads to myself while every one else is slaving away at some pointless task! No folks out on their cruisers puttizing along at 20 Under the speed limit :lol: (my pace is generally about 10-20 over posted speeds, depending of course on road conditions and such) or young hot head sports bikers trying to pass me on the inside of mountain switchback! [-X

Lets look at numbers

333 is a nice number
333-web.jpg

But then again 444 is a nice number as well
444-web.jpg

NT700--01.JPG

NT700--02.JPG

NT700--03.jpg

NT700--04.jpg

NT700--05.jpg

NT700--06.jpg

NT700--07.jpg

NT700--08.jpg

NT700--09.jpg

NT700--10.jpg

An old covered bridge in the background one of a half dozen or so still in use in Virginia.
NT700--11.jpg

NT700--12.jpg

NT700--13.jpg

NT700--14.jpg

NT700--15.jpg

NT700--17.jpg

Well that's is for now.

RM

Congrats on the new ride! Sorry I missed you at Morton's yesterday, I had to leave early (wonder if they called my name for the GPS door prize :))

I was just reading about the NT in Cycle World the other day; seems like Honda's found itself a neat little niche to fill. And Don Canet even likes it.

Nice shots, and enjoy your new wheels.

Now I wonder if the carry through space at the back of the saddle bags will accept a set of tent poles?

Last edited:
Looks like a nice ride. If you changed the badges, I bet 90% of us would believe it was some new BMW. :laugh

Congrats on the new bike, RM! It's a beauty. And your common sense steered you to the silver, slower model, so you won't collect so many awards. LOL Nice ride report, too. :clap:clap:clap

'Rider" had a nice article very complimentary to your new bike. I like the machine very much for a number of reasons; reasons you're well aware of by now. Very, very competent tourer and nice ergos. Great bike! Congrats.
JD

P.S. Great photos!

NT700--10.jpg

New bike and already for sale by owner?? :dunno

Nice looking bike. I'm glad you found the one made just for you.

Keep us posted as you get some more miles on it and you get better acquainted.

Oh, and don't forget to :wave to Beemer riders.

PS Could you get a pic of you on the bike from the side so we can see the angle of your knee when riding?

NT700--10.jpg

New bike and already for sale by owner?? :dunno

Nice looking bike. I'm glad you found the one made just for you.

Keep us posted as you get some more miles on it and you get better acquainted.

Oh, and don't forget to :wave to Beemer riders.

PS Could you get a pic of you on the bike from the side so we can see the angle of your knee when riding?

Thanks all, its one fun ride!

yeah I could probably do that. Its somewhere between an airhead (i.e. a 90 deg bend) and a full sports bike. With the bars its s slight forward lean, but not much, I found it very comfortable after the 250 mile ride thru the twistys and some highway. Very easy to ride, quick and responsive, almost effortless to flick around the corners, yesterday on a short ride I got down in one 90 deg corner and found myself kissing asphalt with one peg! OOPS! Super stable machine.

Now I just need to come up with a good tag... and maybe change the name decal cause NT don't cut it for a UNIX user/admin!

RM

PS Without your permission, I corrected the thread title. :wave

Hope you don't mind.

Tech Day Saturday

Rocket:

Are you bringing it to Saturday's Tech Day for us to admire?? The way you're running those miles up, you might be ready for an oil change anyway!!

Great lookin' bike, congratulations!!!:thumb

piperjim

Thanks for the posting. I'm interested in possibly getting one of these for my wife, but am concerned it may be to heavy for her.

nice bike jeff... i can't believe BMW didn't do an F800 RT.

bring it down to the GMR, i would like to test it off-road. :ha

ian

Rocketman, great bike!!! I looked at them a couple of months ago when they first started showing up at the Dealers. very capable machine. :bikes

Great report! I'm surprised how narrow the bike looks - can't see the bags from the front. I suppose that's an advantage of having non-removable bags.

Great report! I'm surprised how narrow the bike looks - can't see the bags from the front. I suppose that's an advantage of having non-removable bags.

They do run a bit on the small side and there are larger covers available, though I'm getting them now that I have the Givi top case. Remember too that in Europe "filtering" is pretty much the norm and many riders there state that once your handlebars make it thru,(inbetween lanes of cars) you're home free. Should do well in CA! :lol:

here's a pic of my new top case.....

IT-1.jpg

Hmmmm,.....might not be that waterproof better try something else...

I loved the look on the young salesman's face when he brought the boxes up and then realized I was on the bike, don't think he thought I could transport them home safely but I suspect he hasn't run into many really hard-core riders as he mostly sell sports bikes.

A more standard top case installation

This thing is HUGE, I won't even need a tent when camping, just climb in and bed down for the night! Love the way the colors match the bike and the vertical and horizontal lines of the color pattern of black and silver look really Neeto!

IT-2.jpg

RM

Thanks all, its one fun ride!

Now I just need to come up with a good tag... and maybe change the name decal cause NT don't cut it for a UNIX user/admin!

RM

Rocket,

Just transpose the letters and number to... NV 700T = Neuvo Vee 700 cc Turing machine. Or eliminate the "N" all together. Hide the "N" behind a retro-reflactive sticker, the bag could use a little side visible artwork. Just for safety of course.

Nice ride and thanks for the photos. They take me back to the days when I rode around in that area of northern VA.

Len

Back