• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Insurance

SUNRIDER711

Georgia
How much do I need to carry? If anyone has any thoughts on this,,,
my bike(R1200C) is 10 years old and I carry full coverage.

Georgia

Hello Sunrider711,
I have a new bike so I carry full comprehensive and collision. Not sure you need all that on a 10 yr old bike. I'm sure others will give you their thoughts on that.
You certainly want liability and uninsured motorist. I carry 250/500 and 100,000 property damage.
Good luck.

You might also consider medical coverage on your bike insurance. I advise this after taking a helicopter ride last year and fighting with my medical insurance. The bike is negotiable, but are you?

Georgia,

Given how vulnerable we are on bikes, I think that the really important coverage is not liability (you can't do a whole lot of damage to others) or collision/comprehensive (it's only a bike), but uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, which protects you if the other driver is not insured, or not insured enough to cover your injuries. I buy the highest limit my bike policy allows.

Georgia,
Given how vulnerable we are on bikes, I think that the really important coverage is not liability (you can't do a whole lot of damage to others)

Liability is very improtant if you want to keep you money.
I know of one rider who ran into the rear end of another rider.
The medical bills for the other rider went way beyond his minimum liability insurance.
They were friends and it went to court and was settled years later.
If the rider who ran into the other rider had had enough liability insurance
($100,000) there would not have been a problem.
They are not friends anymore.

Liability is very important...

I agree. In reality, one can only buy uninsured/underinsured coverage up to the regular liability limits. Thus, it makes sense to buy as much liability protection as you can, and make sure that the UI/UM coverage is up to the same level.

Thank you all for your input. I have 50,000/100,000 on my U/UM and Liability. Actually, I did have an incident a few years back where a pickup truck rear-ended me at a stoplight. My insurance had to cover the damage initially,,,the driver claimed she never hit me,, even though a police report was filed.

And don't forget to shop rates. We've been shopping rates for our new policy period beginning in May. We discovered that we can save about 50% on our auto insurance and about 20% on the bikes over our current carrier for the same coverage.

Back