• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

registration/ insurance card

f14rio

my walet is fat enough.
where do you folks carry the subject items?
i'd like to leave it attached to the bike (r80) somehow
thx

Mine go in the plastic folder the holds the owners manual and service booklet. The plastic folder lives in the rear compartment under the seat.

Because I frequently have bags (tent & other camping gear) lashed down to the rear seat, I keep those items in a plastic folder in my top box. It gives me access even when it is a pain to remove the gear to lift the seat.

tb

I keep mine in the plastic folder along with the BMW Anon book, stored in the fairing pocket of my RT.

p-20070404-1632-2581.jpg

p-20070404-1634-2583.jpg

More info at http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/grifter/.

Mine are small enough, I just fold both pieces for both bikes and slide them in behind my driver's license in my wallet. That way, everything John Law might want is already together (so far not needed). I do my best to minimize plastic, etc. and it is zipped either in a jacket pocket or in my tankbag when riding....

If you are riding a "C" type boxer, use a ziplock plastic bag to protect your papers and store them behind the chrome side covers. They are out of sight but can be retrieved without using any tools in just seconds. I used to tape a plastic bag with enclosed documents to the bottom of my Sportster seat. The seat could be removed by undoing one screw using a coin. I like the plastic box behind the license plate as it is a simple solution to a common problem. Ride Safe :usa :usa

I hooked a strap across the back of my windshield, on my Bumblebeemer,and stick my stuff in a ziplock baggie,nice'n'handy.

Attachments

• IMG_1775_640x480.JPG
    IMG_1775_640x480.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 165
Too Trusting!

my walet is fat enough.
where do you folks carry the subject items?
i'd like to leave it attached to the bike (r80) somehow
thx

Some of you guys are too trusting keeping your paperwork with the bike.

If a theif decides he wants your bike all the papers are there to sign and change over the ownership!

I keep mine in my wallet!

imho

If a theif decides he wants your bike all the papers are there to sign and change over the ownership!

imho
Hey Darryl,

No, I am not that trusting. Registration and insurance card, yes, on the bike. Title, no, in file in my home office. Here the bike cannot be sold without the title.

At a traffic stop, the LEO will ask for driver's licence, registration, incurance card and ask if the addresses are current. Don't ask me how I know. :banghead

tb

Electronic copy might be okay

I keep my insurance "card" in my tank bag (its paper, actually, I haven't had a "card" in decades).

GIECO asked me if I wanted my proof of insurance mailed or sent as an email attachment, and I chose email. I keep the email, and I can print it at any time. Its occurred to me that I could choose not to print it at all because I can pull it up on my iPhone. I'm not sure how a police officer would react to that, but it is available. Texas law only requires having "evidence of financial responsibility" by having a "policy ... or photocopy of the policy." It doesn't define the form of the copy. I can envision, in the not so distant future, that most such things will be proven electronically. But, I digress.......:D

In Texas, proof of registration is a sticker attached to the license plate. You pay your money (on line, if you do it early enough), and a few weeks later the sticker comes in the mail.

My title is in a folder in a safe at home.

I hooked a strap across the back of my windshield, on my Bumblebeemer,and stick my stuff in a ziplock baggie,nice'n'handy.
Love that picture! :thumb That's got character written all over it!

Several years ago the BMW shop in Pittsburgh sold a zip folder that held all vital documents, cards, money, etc. I keep everything there, including a stash of cash. The whole thing resides in my side or top case when on a trip.

Best system I have found after many years of trying ziplock bags, hidden license plate compartments (that leaked) and tank bags (that also leaked).

When Offisa Pup demands my paperwork, it is all in one nice neat folder. Plus I have a place to put his "Gotcha" gift.

imho

Depends on the state. You can't transfer ownership with an insurance card, nor with a registration receipt, in most states - it takes the official title which in my case resides in a locked firesafe box hidden under a large rock in the Chihuahuan desert not far from my home.

imho

Huh? You need the vehicle title to change ownership. Even states that still don't require titles (are there any left in this day and age?), you would need the vehicle's Certificate of Origin to do a transfer. Besides this small detail, any clerk with a brain larger than a walnut will ask for at least one form of photo ID before doing a title transfer.

I don't think anyone mentioned ownership papers. Or are ownership papers and registration the same thing in Ontario? What if a bank or credit union owns the bike?

My registration and insurance card are on the bike. My ownership papers, AKA the title, are at home in a folder. It won't be looked at until it is time to sell the bike.

I don't think anyone mentioned ownership papers. Or are ownership papers and registration the same thing in Ontario? What if a bank or credit union owns the bike?

My registration and insurance card are on the bike. My ownership papers, AKA the title, are at home in a folder. It won't be looked at until it is time to sell the bike.

In Ontario the registered title and ownership are the same thing. If there is a lein on the vehicle then you have to make sure that they are paid off before you change over ownership.
When on the road you have to have the ownership with you anda valid sticker on the licence plate.

Back