• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motorcycle import / shipping

talmadge_w

I have a co-worker who is considering shipping his bike from a former home in Trinidad to the new home in Houston. Registration & licensing aside (a deal killer in my opinion), does anyone have comments or reccomendations on companies to ship a bike INTO the US?

At the moment this is just at the stage of gathering info and deciding what is economical.

Thanks!

Just go to your customs site and I'm pretty sure they'll have all the info you need to know about importing a vehicle. I know up here that's the best place to look for answers.

The big things are going to be the pollution stuff & kilometer speedometer.

Could be a huge PITA in my opinion, unless he has a big emotionial/financial attachment to the bike I wonder why bother?

Plenty of nice ones here in N.A., unless selling is a problem in Trinidad, I would sell it there.
Good Luck

Take it from me

HUGE deal unless the bike (or car) is 25 years old or older. You will be OK if the bike was originally licensed in the US. If the above are not met, I would not touch it with a ten foot pole. I KNOW what I am talking about. I move back and forth a lot. I just brought vehicles (three) back from a stint in France last August.
Cheers
Andres

Agree, HUGE deal. I lived overseas for most of my military career and watched guys wrestle with trying to get non-U.S. model bikes and cars into the States. It is not worth the aggravation, red tape, requirements and cost.

Andres has it exactly right. And besides dealing with the Feds, every state has their own requirements. California, for example, has a variety of restrictions (even for vehicles coming from another state), and if your vehicle doesn't meet them, you have to remove it or destroy it.

But if the vehicle is older than 25 years, it's trivial and there's no Federal duty. It's like night and day.

Back