• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Canon S90 File transfer question

markgoodrich

I like my new S90 so much my Canon digital SLR is dusty, but does make an excellent paperweight. However, there's one little issue I can't quite figure out.

If I plug the camera into my PC's USB port and try to open files in Photoshop Elements, or upload to Photobucket, I get an error message that the file type is invalid. From the camera, the file type is "Image Format."

If I copy the same file to the hard drive, say, to the desktop, it magically transforms to a jpg file, and I can open, upload, etc.

This is a pain in the behind. Any suggestions? I'm not using the RAW mode for these particular shots, so the camera should be capturing them as jpg files.

TIA

Have three cables; all the same issue. Oddly, plugging the SD card directly into the laptop slot solves the problem. But that doesn't work with the travel netook, which has no slot.

Check out eBay. Find one of those card readers that accepts several different kinds of cards. Then you will be able to copy your card to your computer as well as other folks.

This works well when shooting a rally and there are many cameras and card types.

Try formatting the cards again and see if that works. :scratch

Yeah, Paul, I've got one of those readers...yet another thing to pack on a trip, though. This should be simple.....

I has a simular problem with my 5DMKII because my Photoshop is so old it would not recognize the Canon files. I then read the Canon instructions and loaded the EOS Utility and let it down load the files to my computer. I then let it open Photoshop and all works well.

To use raw, I also had to down load a Adobe DNG converter for my photoshop program (CS2) so the raw files would work. Maybe a simular problem, new format, old photo program???????

Yeah, Paul, I've got one of those readers...yet another thing to pack on a trip, though. This should be simple.....

No different than packing a USB cable...

Sorry, I know this doesn't answer your question.

I carry a small card reader in the bike jacket.

Bitch to canon. They do not make their camera look like a disk drive, but instead use a special camera transfer protocol. New cameras sometimes tweak the protocol so old software cant understand when connected to a new camera. Old, in this case, is defined and any software written before the camera was released.

Life would be much easier if Canon gave folks the option of using USB bulk transfer mode which every OS has understood for the last ten years.

Either use the canon software that came with the camera or carry a card reader.

I use the SD cards that have built in USB connectors. They fold in the middle and it plugs right in.

Well, I solved my problem by selling the Netbook I'd been carrying on trips and getting a more usable 13.3 inch laptop, which has a built-in SD slot. Not the reason I got rid of the Netbook, but the solution is a useful byproduct.

Netbooks are fine, I guess, but I never could get used to the too-small keyboard...a function, no doubt, of learning to type :type half a century ago on massive manual typewriters which required pounding on the keys.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

One thing to be careful about

Some slots and readers will not read SDHC cards, the download will be messed up. Most of the newer ones do but some don't.

Back