• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Can You Ride K1300GT Slow?

carockwell

I am going to buy a new bike in the next few weeks and a K1300 GT has perfect ergos and options for me. I don't need to add a thing to it. Unfortunately, the bike is rocket fast and I actually don't even enjoy fast riding, I like to check out the scenery. This bike will replace a car and my R80 ST, so I have to use it everyday in So Cal. My question is will this bike drive me nuts because I will be riding within 10 mph of the speed limit? It can be a problem with car. For instance, I never bought a Corvette because they are just too frustrating to drive always going with traffic. In this case, I know the Boxers are fine going slow, the problem is I need to spend a lot to make them fit me.

I don't understand the frustration. Because it's capabilities are much higher so you feel you are wasting such a fast vehicle?
You can drive it the speed limit and be happy. Or at least confident that if you need speed NOW to get out of a tight spot, that you will have it. I find myself in a daily commute scenario being OK with setting the cruise at 10 mph and not being so worried about cops.
If you are talking about CITY driving, say 30-40 mph all the time, yeah probably not going to like the GT too much.
Gilly

Yes, you can ride it slow. As a K13GT owner, I can tell you that they are well balanced and can creep in traffic with the best of them. As far as higway speeds go, the K1300GT runs fairly high in the rpm band at normal highway speed limits, so its very responsive in normal and emergency driving situations. It is also handles extremely well for a large displacement, high hp/torque sport touring bike.

On the other hand, if you're just looking for a commuter with highway speed limit cruising capabilities, a K13GT is serious, serious overkill. It would be like using an F-15 to crop dust...or a hydroplane to go water skiing...or a howitzer to hunt squirrels...or...well, you get the point. :)

DWestly hits it right on the head. The bike will go as fast (or slow) as you want.

If you want to trawl around it will, you want hyperspace that too - it will do everything in between, but the important thing to remember is that it is the hand behind the throttle that decides.

Your call as with everything else :lurk

I've noticed that my riding style changes when I take my KGT out of the garage. When I'm on my RT the world slows down for me and the the day becomes more serene, not so on the K bike. I'm hopeing that over time the sheer joy of the GT's handling and performance will become more routine and easier to master.

I've actually installed knee pad bumpers on the lower inside surfaces of my GT fairing, so I can slide off and plant my knee for corners. Works awesome!

I just upgraded from an R1150R to a K1300GT. No regrets at all.
Actually find the GT to be better for town because it's a lot less picky about which gear I'm in, and the wet clutch is much better from a stop.
BTW, the highway experience defies description.

Yeh, I've owned lots of sport touring bikes, but before the K13GT, I've never had one that could make the jump to light speed! :laugh

With my 08 GT that I am just about finished breaking in, if I still have my license by the end of the season, well.....I'll be lucky, holy crap its quick.

She just begs to rev and be ridden the way it was designed to, I too am hoping soon the thrill of twisitng it open will subside a bit. Control and restraint are now my 2 biggest goals with this rocket tourer.

I love it.

:blah

If I can ride slower on the S, you can do it on the GT. One trick is to find twistier roads (or heavier traffic?). You will get used to the power, just take it slow, before you know it, you will be comfortable at any speed and be able to moderate your wrist at will!

The first week I had my GT, I took it up to the NC mountains and chased some sport bikes through the Dragon. They were a little quicker into the turns, as the heavier GT takes a little longer on the turn-ins. But, they couldn't shake me because of the power of the GT coming out of the corners. I'd continually catch them by the next corner. By the time we got down to the Gap Store, one of them parked and came over, saying "What is that thing?"...:laugh

Yeah. If you're going to be riding at that speed, what are you going to do with the other 5 gears? At least they'll be fresh and unused when you finally get her out on the open road and wind it out.

Back