• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

wixom fairing

W

workm62521

My wife has a 1973 R/60, have purchased a wixom (ranger?) fairing, it came with 4 mounting brackets but I don't know where they go. Does anyone have mounting diagrams or pictures of your own bike that would help me with the installation process. Any help would be appreciated.

email pics to workman.steve@ymail.com

Thanks, Steve

First off, the Wixom Ranger is a great fairing. Personally, I drilled out my Wixom to use the handle bar mounts from a Memphis Shades wind screen to solidify the mounting. The M. S. mounts are terrific. Another thing to consider, you can glue the tool tray gasket material to the headlight opening to cushion the fit of the Wixom fairing to the headlight. I'll try to post pictures ASAP.

First off, the Wixom Ranger is a great fairing. Personally, I drilled out my Wixom to use the handle bar mounts from a Memphis Shades wind screen to solidify the mounting. The M. S. mounts are terrific. Another thing to consider, you can glue the tool tray gasket material to the headlight opening to cushion the fit of the Wixom fairing to the headlight. I'll try to post pictures ASAP.

If you want to post the photos of your parts, I'll tell you where they go.

I rode 200k+ behind a Ranger and it's one of the best fairing ever made. As far as using gasket stuff at the headlight opening goes, put a "wanted" ad in IBMR and see if you can locate the original piece.

Theres got to be a few of those laying around!

No need,

When I glued that tool tray gasket material on the headlight opening, It changed everything. Pictures of the modification to follow.

Fairing picture #1

Here is a picture of the inside of the fairing

Attachments

• Fairing part 1.jpg
    Fairing part 1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 386
Wixom fairing # for /6 ?

I have a Wixom # 131 that fits a /5. Anyone know the model # for a /6 ?
Bill

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 327
thread jack: ON

tanker4me, are your auxiliary gauge "pods" VDO? If so, are they new or old (30+ years)?

thread jack: OFF

Pods ?

They are Moto Meter. Clock and volt meter, and I believe an original option installed in 76.

FWIW In the olden days It was thought by some that the use of a handlebar mounted fairing particularly on a short wheelbase BMW put one at increased risk for having a "tank slapper" .

FWIW In the olden days It was thought by some that the use of a handlebar mounted fairing particularly on a short wheelbase BMW put one at increased risk for having a "tank slapper" .

I can attest to this. albeit my fairing is smaller, but it is a handful at speed.

No need,

When I glued that tool tray gasket material on the headlight opening, It changed everything. Pictures of the modification to follow.

2 years late, but here it is;

Attachments

• 102_0305.jpg
    102_0305.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 187
I think the OP was looking to find out how to mount the faring on the handle bars. I had one of these on my /7. It was replaced with a Hannigan ST. I still have the Wixom (never knew the name of the fairing until this thread) upstairs over my garage in storage with the mounting pieces as shown in the April 2010 photo. Although, mine has a home-made windshield made from plexiglass. I found the Wixom OK at lower speed, but not pleasant on the highway. Unfortunately, I don't remember how the mounting hardware was fitted but it is a handlebar fairing (a *big* one at that).

Wixom Fairing

Hello All,
I am trying to figure out how to mount a Wixom fairing to my 73 LWB 75/5 I was only given two brackets with it, I think the two I have mount to the lower fork brace pinch bolts under the directional bracket. I know it needs four and willing to fabricate them but unsure what the other two look like or where they mount to. I am also open to any better ideas on how to mount it. Pictures would be great.
Many Thanks,
Doug

If you look very closely to pic 5 you can see barely two metal tabs glassed into the fairing. This is the upper mount. The two small L shaped metal brakets attach here and the long metal brackets mount to the L shape brakets. The other end attach at the flat surface of the top tripple tree. Probably uses one of the holes that mount the handlebars. Probably attaches to the underneagh side of the triple tree. The two curved pieces mount to the fairing below the turn signal openings. I found that the top of the fairing and windshield were not properly supported and would flex back at speed. So this would also have to be addressed. I thought that one of the most interesting parts of the /5, the instrument housing and headlight bucket was too covered up. But that's just me. Good luck with your project.

BoxerCafe makes a new knockoff to the Wixom fairing. They have a clear view of the inside of the fairing with the attachment piece glassed into the fairing. This might help some. BoxerCafe.com

Back