• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Waving at Scooters

calnalu

Off shore and glassy
There have been many threads about waving at fellow motorcyclists on the road over the years. I wave at everyone including HDs and LEOs. But what about scooters?

I work on a university campus and pass dozens of students on scooters as I commute to and from work. From a distance, a scooter rider looks like a moto rider and my left hand starts to rise to give them a wave. But as they get closer, I see it's a scooter and don't wave. Then I feel bad.

Am I a pretentious BMW rider who is too good to wave at little Vespas or mopeds?

Who waves at scooters?

:wave

I'm a friendly guy. If someone is on two wheels and I'm not doing anything with the clutch lever, I wave.

90% of my riding in on two lane rural roads that go through farming and
ranching country, I not only wave to people on bicycles and farmers on the side
of the road, but I have waved at cows that are standing at the fence watching
me go by. To me, the ride isn't to get somewhere, it's just to enjoy getting
through my second childhood.

Scooters, bicyclists, people on farm equipment, yes. I have yet to wave at an animal but I might try it next cow I see. I remember meeting a couple on the road a few years back who said they tried audio equipment to talk to each other but gave it up quickly when the husband found he couldn't hack her mooing, baaing and oinking at the animals as they rode past.

I don't typically wave at scooters because they just don't seem to expect it. Motorcyclists wave, but I don't recall ever having a scooter do so. The few times that I have waved at them, the rider has just, um, scooted on by, not seeming to have even looked in my direction.

I have few insights into the minds of scooter riders. Do they even wave to each other?

I waved at a guy on a k75 one time while he was at a red light.
He let go of the clutch and waved back, he had his right hand on the brake and stalled his bike.
I felt bad.

I don't always initiate a wave, because a lot of stuck up cruiser riders don't reciprocate.

I always return a wave regardless of who offers it.

Everybody was out enjoying a beautiful spring day today and I returned waves to motorcyclists, scooter riders, a few small kids and one cyclist.

I love to wave at little kids at stop lights, they love it too. Always fun to smile at the men in cars when they realize I'm a woman rider...;)
Been known to wave at farm animals too, not sure that I've tried talking to them yet. I try to wave at all bikers, small to larger rides, some wave back and some don't. We all seem to be pretty darn cheerful when riding! :wave

I don't typically wave at scooters because they just don't seem to expect it. Motorcyclists wave, but I don't recall ever having a scooter do so. The few times that I have waved at them, the rider has just, um, scooted on by, not seeming to have even looked in my direction.

I have few insights into the minds of scooter riders. Do they even wave to each other?

Same for me. I find Scooter riders don't wave back. They seem to have a "What, do I know you?" look on their face (half helmets). I don't think they know the wave protocol.

I'm one of the "I wave at everyone on two wheels" category. The bicyclists are usually surprised, but wave back if they aren't climbing too steep a hill. Scooters are hit and miss; I wave if I think they won't crash if they wave back. Oh, and I also wave at Miatas. :dance

I don't always initiate a wave, because a lot of stuck up cruiser riders don't reciprocate.

I always return a wave regardless of who offers it.

Everybody was out enjoying a beautiful spring day today and I returned waves to motorcyclists, scooter riders, a few small kids and one cyclist.

Yup, that's the same for me. Though I broke my own rule of not waving first yesterday on my way home from work, at the middle of the Newport Bridge, a F-650-GS, loaded for bear, I waved, nothing. I know he saw me as he just looked at me as he rode by. I should have just stuck to my rule of not waving first.

Then I must be in the 10%. :nyah
It's interesting, if I am on the ET4 and wave at a motorcycle, it's 50/50.
If I am on a motorcycle and wave at a scoot, 50/50.
Scoots wave to scoots, we're a strange cult.
But I must say I was surprised to get a wave first from a motorcycle yesterday as I was hopping about.
Hey if you wave I'll wave, deal? :deal

Back