• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Corbin Low Seat

barry5k

In my never-ending quest for a good, low seat I saw this at Corbin. Has anyone tried it? Even though it is for the low seat version, my dealer said that all you have to do is take off some brackets and it will fit the regular seat (reg. or low seat) version.
If you're using this seat, I'm sure several of us would like to hear your thoughts!
http://corbin.com/bmw/bmwr12rt5low.shtml

Barry
Thanks for bringing this up! I checked with Corbin earlier in my RT"s life and they only had a standard height seat available for the RT. Having used Corbins in the past and being unhappy with my seat from another maker I now have a new reason to save up some money. I too will be interested in knowing if someone has tried out this seat.
Larry

I just bought one and replaced the BMW low that came with my bike. I walked into the Corbin store in Ormond while I was passing through Daytona and they happened to have on in the back that was a custom order that never got picked up.
IHaven't put a ton of miles on it, but I like the shape and support much better already. I think it will be awesome once broken in. You have to remove the seat height adjuster and the middle brackets to install.
Oh, and at that price, it's a steal!

I just bought one and replaced the BMW low that came with my bike. I walked into the Corbin store in Ormond while I was passing through Daytona and they happened to have on in the back that was a custom order that never got picked up.
IHaven't put a ton of miles on it, but I like the shape and support much better already. I think it will be awesome once broken in. You have to remove the seat height adjuster and the middle brackets to install.

Is the seat height adjuster and middle brackts a siimple proceedure? Any pics?

Likewise: one-piece Corbin low seat to replace the one-piece BMW low seat on my 2009 factory-lowered RT. I also don't have many miles on the Corbin but the difference in comfort is huge. The Corbin is firm, but the shape is so much better. The bracket removal should be just a matter of a few bolts holding the relevant brackets. (The low seat is not adjustable, by the way). I actually had to shim the rear bracket on the seat to get it to click down into the clip on the bike. Will check back in when I get some miles on the saddle (next weekend?).

Barry - might I suggest - for future posts for a bike model specific question, that you include the model of the bike you're asking about in the subject? Makes it more likely people owning that model will bother to look (and makes it easy for those of us who don't own the model, and would have nothing to add - to ignore it.)

Thanks!

No pics yet. Maybe this weekend.
The brackets come right out with a few torx bolts. The height adjuster pops out w/no tools.
I did have to move the washers on the seat bracket to the inside of the bracket to push it down a bit so it would lock in. Corbin advises this and once the seat bumpers "settle" you can move the washers back to the other side.
Not as complex as it sounds and the seat is really great, especially for us short guys!

Just oredered the corbin for my low R1200Rt- was going to go with sargent but you need the brackets for a sargent- this much easier and looks great.

Having sat on a Corbin for some 52,000 miles on my Concours, I'll never own another one. The fit and finish are so-so, they are definitely NOT waterproof, and it never got any softer than the not quite as hard as a plank firmness it had when new. The ony redeeming feature IMO was that it wasn't nearly as vile as the stock Concours seat which I could only tolerate for about 50 miles before my lower regions were screaming in agony.

My R 1200 RT now has a set of Sargents seats on it, far better quality than anything I've ever seen from Corbin, and light years more comfortable. More expensive, yes, but not by much. I just checked Corbins current prices and the difference is about $50 between them and Sargent, and my experience is that you get a much better product from Sargent. The only way I could have improved on the Sargent seats would have been a custom built from Russel or Mayer.

My $.02, YMMV, etc, etc...

Last edited:
I'm confused. I don't see on the corbin site that the site replaces the Ultralow one piece seat that's on the factory lowered RT, it says it replaces the low seat. The lowered RT doesn't have an adjustable seat, so it doesn't have the brackets. ARe you guys saying the Corbin Low seat fits the factory lowered RT as well as the regular model?

edit: Actually I see where it says this: "When an RT is converted to use the BMW Low seat, there are brackets removed to allow for a lower seat base. This will also need to be done for the Corbin seat. Likewise, because of this our standard seats won't fit the Lowered model unless you get the proper brackets from your BMW dealer."

So those of you with a lowered RT, what part are they talking about?

I got the 'low-seat' in a low suspension 09 RT....It's great.

I have not even noticed my seat since I took out the stock...

So those of you with a lowered RT, what part are they talking about?

Just today I talked to the parts manager at MotoMarin about this. I wanted to know if the ONE PIECE low seat that came on my 2009 factory-lowered RT would fit on any R1200RT. The answer is yes. There are two things that have to be removed from an RT that has a two-piece seat. At the front, the part with the bumpers that you move up and down to adjust the seat height has to be removed (but NOT the stationary plastic brackets that anchor it). In the middle of the seating area, remove the plastic brackets that the rear bumpers on the front section of a two-piece seat fit into. The one-piece seat attaches only at the front and at the locked release at the rear. Hope this helps. :type

Just today I talked to the parts manager at MotoMarin about this. I wanted to know if the ONE PIECE low seat that came on my 2009 factory-lowered RT would fit on any R1200RT. The answer is yes. There are two things that have to be removed from an RT that has a two-piece seat. At the front, the part with the bumpers that you move up and down to adjust the seat height has to be removed (but NOT the stationary plastic brackets that anchor it). In the middle of the seating area, remove the plastic brackets that the rear bumpers on the front section of a two-piece seat fit into. The one-piece seat attaches only at the front and at the locked release at the rear. Hope this helps. :type

Thanks Bill. So it sounds like I wouldn't need to buy anything for the corbin seat to fit my bike. Good to know Corbin has an option that works for us short legged folks.

I bought the Corbin low seat and I am having a hell of a time getting it on and was wondering if anyone out there has one and can help. I think it isn't built properly, but I could be wrong.

So I take of the middle brackets that house the rear bumpers of the front seat, right?

What do I take off in front? I took off the thing that moves the seat up and down. It is connected by two rubber strips on each side of it. Is that what I remove?

Just wondering if there is more to remove because I can't get the seat to go on and click in the back. When I look back there, it seems the metal thing that clicks into the back is set too far back, thus impossible to line up. I'm hoping there is something I didn't remove in the front, otherwise I'm stuck.

Any suggestions would be most helpful. The seat looks great and I hope to ride with it this weekend.

I checked out Sargents website. It's a little busy looking. I couldn't figure out the price for a standard heated rider seat only for 12RT. Seems they only show pricing for rider and passenger options. Anyone purchased just the rider seat? cost?

Likewise: one-piece Corbin low seat to replace the one-piece BMW low seat on my 2009 factory-lowered RT. I also don't have many miles on the Corbin but the difference in comfort is huge. The Corbin is firm, but the shape is so much better. The bracket removal should be just a matter of a few bolts holding the relevant brackets. (The low seat is not adjustable, by the way). I actually had to shim the rear bracket on the seat to get it to click down into the clip on the bike. Will check back in when I get some miles on the saddle (next weekend?).

Hi Bill, don't you make custom seats? If so, why are you going with a Corbin?

I checked out Sargents website. It's a little busy looking. I couldn't figure out the price for a standard heated rider seat only for 12RT. Seems they only show pricing for rider and passenger options. Anyone purchased just the rider seat? cost?

I believe that Sargent only makes a dual but Mayer and Russell are available as solo seats. They have special pricing for the front seat only. Both cost just under $400 in vinyl.

They'll sell ya a riders seat only, but you gotta ask, not on the site.
A riders seat for the R12 RT, Standard or Low height, Black Carbon FX, Black Welt, Heated, w- BMW Tri color emblem (a $30.00 upgrade), is prox $500.00 USD. Call to doublecheck, but I'm fairly certain.

I just sent my low version back for heating retrofit.

Dmilan

Hi Bill, don't you make custom seats? If so, why are you going with a Corbin?

:laugh I talked to THE Bill Mayer (actually Bill Jr., aka "Rocky") at a bike show - was trying to figure if we were related in any way. Apparently not. Too bad. Might have been good for a discount with one or the other of the Mayer brothers.

Back