• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Rallye 3

jimfastcar

Looked at this jacket today at the Dealers shop, (Black and Yellow model)
Beautiful jacket, way too much money - $ 850....

I said the same thing the first time I saw one. I have the Rally Pro 2 with the pants. It is expensive but it is the nicest outfit I have ever had! There are several dealers on ebay selling the Pro 2 jacket for $600 or so and you can easily find used ones on advrider.com. I bought mine used for $700 with the pants on ebay. Worth every penny!!!

I said the same thing the first time I saw one. I have the Rally Pro 2 with the pants. It is expensive but it is the nicest outfit I have ever had! There are several dealers on ebay selling the Pro 2 jacket for $600 or so and you can easily find used ones on advrider.com. I bought mine used for $700 with the pants on ebay. Worth every penny!!!

I bought my Rally 2 on sale at the dealer last month for $389 & the pants for $299...

Question though, there is a hole in the top for a iPOD or whatever cord, then a holder inside for the cord, then another hole, that you would think leads to a pocket, but on mine, goes no where... What gives?

I bought my Rally 2 on sale at the dealer last month for $389 & the pants for $299...

Question though, there is a hole in the top for a iPOD or whatever cord, then a holder inside for the cord, then another hole, that you would think leads to a pocket, but on mine, goes no where... What gives?

It's no for an ipod, its for the drinking tube to a hydration reservoir that fits in a pocket under the mesh liner. BMW used to sell the reservoir. Perhaps they still do. You can get the same reservoir less the BMW logo from these folks. I use one, but in one of my tank panniers instead of the jacket. They are easy to fill, easy to clean.

BMW Rallye2,3,4

It costs a lot, but it is a great jacket. They should publish a users manual for it, though, because it takes some puzzling over to figure out how best to route the tubing from the water reservoir. Once figured out, though, it is kind of ingenious. You also can put another reservoir in the rear pocket, if desired.

I wear my set year-round. Being able to remove the sleeves and open up the vents makes the jacket a true four-season garment, and the pants are comfortable and surprisingly cool in the summer.

If only they could make the thing truly waterproof without liners...; but, they don't, so I carry a very lightweight rain jacket and pants rather than mess with the liners, which are much too hot for summer use.

Does any other manufacturer make a jacket with removable sleeves?

It's no for an ipod, its for the drinking tube to a hydration reservoir that fits in a pocket under the mesh liner. BMW used to sell the reservoir. Perhaps they still do. You can get the same reservoir less the BMW logo from these folks. I use one, but in one of my tank panniers instead of the jacket. They are easy to fill, easy to clean.

OK, That is very cool. Trouble is, I never could find out how to get to the pocket under the mesh. I guess I need to take everything out & look harder! Which size water pouch do you use & is there anything else I would need to know before ordering? That looks like a nice setup.

I also think a small manual should be included... The Dealers don't always go over every detail...

OK, That is very cool. Trouble is, I never could find out how to get to the pocket under the mesh. I guess I need to take everything out & look harder! Which size water pouch do you use & is there anything else I would need to know before ordering? That looks like a nice setup.

I've never used the built in pocket for water so can't say what size will fit. I have the 3 litter size for my tank pannier. To get to the pocket unzip the mesh that holds the back pad and other armor at the bottom. Lift up and look behind the back pad a few inches below the label. You'll find a zipper. That gives access to the pocket.

New BMW Jackets

Is it true that the latest models have an special envelope for cell phones that prevents microwave radiation from getting at you? I was told that at one of the Toronto stores.

Is it true that the latest models have an special envelope for cell phones that prevents microwave radiation from getting at you? I was told that at one of the Toronto stores.

No, you still need the tinfoil in your helmet...

But

Yeah but that would cut out the radio programs I pick up through the fillings in my teeth.

Sometimes. Not always.
How about most of the times? No, what amuses me is that someone can spend literally astronomous sums of money to own a BMW bike, and justly so because they are generally excellent motorcycles, only to grumble after that about the price of an outstanding piece of gear like the Rallye 3. :laugh

i love the look of the Rallye stuff, but unfortunately, I'm a little "girthy" to fit into their biggest size.. Grrrr.

The Rallye 3 is too new to know if it is going to be an outstanding piece of gear. :deal

When I bought my R2P I thought it was going to be an outstanding piece of gear. It failed the longevity test. The pants are literally falling apart after about 40,000 ~ 50,000 miles of wear and I've also had to replace things like zippers on the jacket. That keeps me away from the newest version from BMW.

The Rallye 3 is too new to know if it is going to be an outstanding piece of gear. :deal

When I bought my R2P I thought it was going to be an outstanding piece of gear. It failed the longevity test. The pants are literally falling apart after about 40,000 ~ 50,000 miles of wear and I've also had to replace things like zippers on the jacket. That keeps me away from the newest version from BMW.
Funny, but many reports on the Rallye, Rallye 2, Rally 2 Pro are to the exact opposite: very resistant on the long run. And the zippers on the R3 are YKKs. So, I guess the prospect for the R3 in future everyday use is more good than bad. Anyway, did you really expect MORE that 50,000 miles of wear on PANTS?

Anyway, did you really expect MORE that 50,000 miles of wear on PANTS?

Yep, although minor repairs are expected. That has been the case with Darien pants and with my Roadcrafter suit. The shipping typically cost more than any repairs those items needed.

RP2 to 3

A couple of years ago I grabbed the RP2 jacket. It's been very good and cleans up like brand new. I'.m 6'3 at 205 and got the 48/58 size and I've found that it's a little roomier than I like. Not so bad in the winter when I'm bundled up but any other temp when things get peeled off it's not snug enough. The armor is great but not if the jacket is so loose that it spins off the point of contact.

I did try the internal bladder for hydration but frankly it's a PITA to refill with the internal access pocket etc. The fanny pack is something I've never used and never would. Having a pocket in the back is one thing but that huge cordura belt and snap lock buckle is another thing entirely.

I like the jacket but.....

I tried on an RP3 in both my current size and a 46/56 one size down. Go figure, the smaller one fits very nicely.

The sleeves have those cinch straps that other manufacturers have to take up the slack to ensure the armor stays where it should.

The hydration pocket is accessible from the back exterior for ease of refilling.

Pocket on the back rear but just that....a pocket. No removable fanny pack etc.

Two waterproof pockets.

Apparently the new waterproof liner (European not Gore tex) is built in a way to allow more breathability for those areas that need more ventilaton (under arms etc)

In short, I'm happy enough to take the plunge on one. I know....a lot of dough but I'll sell my RP2 which is still in excellent condition so the hit will be gentle.

I will buy the jacket in the US as they're a little more expensive up here.
Pants? Don't like any of the RP pants......but I really like the Santiagos.

Back