• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Brand vs Price

T

tronic5

Has anyone had "Shinko" tires installed on their bike? If so, what's your experience so far and would you buy them again?

Tires are the only thing connecting your bike and you to the rest of the world. That is the last place I would go cheap. I have no personal experience with Shinko, but would be very wary of a brand that's greatest claim to fame is economy.

A good place to begin is by an online search for motorcycle tire comparisons or tests. Recommendations from other riders are great too. (I understand that's what you looking for here.)

Over the past couple of years I've had outstanding positive experience with Avon. Never had anything to do with them until I read some very positive reviews and found they were priced better than the Metzelers and Michelins I usually ran.

Avon has become my brand of choice based on the Distanzias and Roadriders. I've heard very good things about the Storms and Azaros as well.

A year ago there was quite a bit of enthusiasm on the BMWST forum for the Shinko "Raven" tires. They were supposed to be decently made, performed OK, and were cheap. But I don't recall any reviews of their long term performance.

As I understand it, Shinkos are made from what's left of Yokohama Tire's motorcycle division, but in Korea instead of in Japan - can't tell whether that's really a plus or a minus - but Yokohama still makes good tires for cars and trucks.

Personally, I've settled on the Michelin PR2's. I have the shop mount/bal. them ($$) so I'm inclined to go with the tried and true rather than experiment with other brands.

they all have to meet a minimum safety standard. that being said, safety does not = comfort or great sometimes.

Back