• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

E-Z Pass holder

Charlie, did you feel any increase in turbulence with the ez pass in that location?

There was no change that I noticed. If you don't like it there you can just peel the plastic mounts off the windshield and try somewhere else. I wondered if there was room inside the fairing in front of the mirrors but I never looked.

No problems with the cars, but I've had mixed results on the bike. Whether attached to my windshield, or in the mapcase of my tank bag or just stuck to the gas filler, it does not register at my daily commute, Tacony Palmyra Bridge to Philly. There is a gate arm that has to raise for me to get thru, and the attendant (in the EZ Pass only lane?) has to scan the bar code.

However, when riding home from DC a couple of weeks ago, the tag was inside the tank bag, and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge picked up the signal when I stopped to pay the toll. Delaware Turnpike Rt 1 also picked it up in the EZ Pass Express lane at 70 mph while in the tank bag.

Tested it on the Betsy Bridge a couple of days later, and it registered, but did not post to my account. Maybe I should take the discounted $3 toll every day, if it's not going to charge me, eh?

What's up with NJ EZ Pass?

No problems with the cars, but I've had mixed results on the bike. Whether attached to my windshield, or in the mapcase of my tank bag or just stuck to the gas filler, it does not register at my daily commute, Tacony Palmyra Bridge to Philly. There is a gate arm that has to raise for me to get thru, and the attendant (in the EZ Pass only lane?) has to scan the bar code.

However, when riding home from DC a couple of weeks ago, the tag was inside the tank bag, and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge picked up the signal when I stopped to pay the toll. Delaware Turnpike Rt 1 also picked it up in the EZ Pass Express lane at 70 mph while in the tank bag.

Tested it on the Betsy Bridge a couple of days later, and it registered, but did not post to my account. Maybe I should take the discounted $3 toll every day, if it's not going to charge me, eh?

What's up with NJ EZ Pass?

I have had the most problems with the bridges between PA and NJ, such as the ones on I-80 and I-78. They all have gates, so it is a problem if the EZ Pass does not work. Perhaps the Delaware River joint smoking whatever Commission that operates those bridges bought low budget EZ Pass readers.

Anyway, even in other places in NJ, I have never had consistently good results with it in my jacket pocket or in my tank bag.

However, what works for me (except on those darn PA/NJ bridges) is to mount an external license plate type transponder under my front fender. I zip tied it to the fork legs. It is completely hidden, and it works 100% of the time on the Garden State Parkway.

It looks like this

Transponder_on_Plate.jpg

I mounted an external EZPass transponder to the front forks just above the front fender, using Zip ties. You can't tell it is there unless you are looking for it and it is designed for exterior use.

I have never had a problem in the PA/NJ/DE area, including Delaware river bridges (Betsy Ross, Walt Whitman, and Commodore Barry). The only time the transponder did not work was on 95 in Maryland, where two toll booths did not pick it up.

Perhaps I was going too fast through the toll booth? Maryland turnpike sent me the bills as summons, with two $5 processing fees!

EZ Pass Holder

I'm also in Maine and had very poor luck getting the pass to read - the reader is over the toll both, a wide white bar you see if you look. I bought a RAM B-182-U that mounts on top of the brake reservoir. I modified the top holder of the RAM with a piece of black aluminum that fits the back of the EZ Pass and added velco to both the added piece and the back of the EZ Pass. Works like a charm...it's easy to pop off and put in my GIVI or system case when I park the bike.

Back