• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

who rebuilds airhead transmissions?

oak, tom , steve prokov, do a search
expect to pay 500+ to do it right
my 85 he ( steve) replaced all seals, machined the shaft for the circlip, replaced all bearings, supplied ( but not installed) new netural switch, and a list of all tolerences before and after, ran me 675 2years ago

I had mine rebuilt by Anton Largiader in Virginia. He did the circlip, seals, bearings, and some other stuff for $615. I've put about 8000 miles on it since rebuild with no problems. This is his website: http://www.largiader.com/
Tom

Also, Ted Porter, Bob's Motorwerks, and Matt Parkhouse. Probably Bob's BMW maybe Memphis Motorwerks, but I've only heard about them doing heads as of late.

If you feel up to doing the transmission re-build yourself or just want to see what is involved - there is a nice video available from Cycle Works -

http://www.cycleworks.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=29_35&products_id=243

The video covers both the 4-speed and 5-speed airhead transmissions as used in the /5, /6, and /7 bikes (likely newer as well, but I haven't gone there - yet). I watched the part on rebuilding the 5-speed transmission several times and then jumped in and re-built my /7 R100RS transmission.

I was able to go to Re-Psycle BMW for bearings, seals, and a good used intermediate shaft (damaged engaging dogs on original transmission). I got the parts to upgrade the shift mechanism (sometimes referred to as the "shift kit upgrade"). I was also able to talk to the folks at Re-Psycle about the disassembly / assembly process. Re-Psycle sells re-built transmissions for about half the price of a new unit.

I obtained the shim kit from Cycle Works. I was able to borrow the plate used to make measurements to determine the amount of shimming necessary - the local BMW dealer where I've purchased many bikes loaned me the plate. I've since purchased my own plates for 4-speed and 5-speed transmissions.

My re-built transmission has worked very well. I routinely use Dow Gear Guard M with Valvolene 80W-90 transmission oil for smoother shifting.

In a couple of weeks from now there is going to be a tech day at a fellow airhead's house in Columbus, Ohio. Featured in the tech session will be the re-building of a 4-speed transmission. With the kick starter, the 4-speed transmission is a bit more fiddly than the 5-speed unit. Here is a link to the Airheads.org website with the announcement of the aforementioned tech day -
http://www.airheads.org/component/o...agid,323/year,2010/month,04/day,10/Itemid,40/

OK, I"m looking at trying to rebuild a 77 5 speed. the 3/4 shifter fork rod is sloppy, and has wear, and rust pits. which means it has to be replaced. ( this is the same one that my boss drove out of the case cold... ) So. the case appears to be fine, no cracks, or any signs of damage from my employer's enthusiasm.

I have access to a machine shop, so I'm thinking of making a new 3/4 shifter fork rod from scratch. as far as the case hole not being the right size, I can clean up the hole in the case, and make a new fork rod.

my other thought was to drill and tap a hole in the back of the fork rod, and put a flat bolt in it, to keep it from being able to creep into the case.

thoughts?

or just buy a new case, put all the bits in a box, and ship it to someone who knows what they're doing?

Tranny Rebuild

I had mine(1982R100RT) rebuilt after the pawl spring broke. Dave Bork, Grass Roots BMW, Cape Girardeau, MO. did the work. Dave is an authority on airheads and truly a professional. I would highly recommend him.

I had mine(1982R100RT) rebuilt after the pawl spring broke. Dave Bork, Grass Roots BMW, Cape Girardeau, MO. did the work. Dave is an authority on airheads and truly a professional. I would highly recommend him.

I concur. I've know Dave for 50 years (yes, we're both that old) and, ahem, I'm the one who introduced him to BMW's in 1975 when he worked for me and I bought a brand-spanking new R60/6. Grass Roots BMW and Dave are highly recommended.

Little Egypt Airheads
1952 R51/3
1966 R50/2
1977 R75/7 - for sale
1980 R100RT

Back