• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Decisions, Decisions GSA, GS or ???

Which Bike for Off Road Tour

• Buy GSA and Lower Bike

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Buy Stock Lower GS and Add Options

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Buy F800GS

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other Bike, Brand ?

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

scwood63

Woody63
Guys,

From feedback from other posters I think that at +/- 5'9" (barefoot) and 30" inseam, I may be too short for using a GSA on more technically challenging terrain. I am looking to do some long, cross country trips in developing countries:

My riding will be:
-On pavement (But-poor road quality common to expected in sections) 50%
-Dirt roads 30%
-Poor dirt roads, washed out in places 20%
-Developing countries
-Poor fuel availability, variable quality
-Camping

Right or wrong I have a lot of confidence with BMW Boxer reliability, basic maintenance and feel comfortable with the riding position. So (I think) want to stick with a BMW.

GSA-Pro +
-A Boxer!
-Large tank, long range
-Spoked wheels
-Low gearing
-Stocked with extras
GSA-Con -
-Very high seat height

GS-Pro +
-A Boxer
-Lower seat height
GS-Con -
-Cast rims, prefer spokes
-Need to add lots of extras (standard on GSA) to get it tour ready

F800GS- Pro +
-A BMW
-Off-road round the world capable (still to be decided?)
F800GS- Con -
-Not a Boxer (Is this still relevant?)
-High seat height
-Small tank

With the above in mind am I better off ??:
-Buying a GSA and making it lower?
-Buying GSA and learn the Flamingo
-Buying the lower GS and adding large tanks and extras?
-Buying another non-BMW bike?

Appreciate all the advice, feedback and comments from people that have earned their experience the hard way.

Thanks!

Last year I rode a factory lowered R1200GS and while I liked the lower height, I found that the suspension compliance was quite harsh compared to my standard R1200GS. The difference was pronounced enough that I would plan on spending the money for aftermarket shocks.

Airhead GS

Well, if you are comfortable with the maintenance, I would go with a Airhead GS and get it set up the way you want to. Fuel, seat height, tires, brakes, suspension, can all be motified, stuff readily available. And you will probably be cheaper than any other option. But I am an Airhead... :dance

if you lower a GS, you're pretty much eliminating the one thing that makes it a GS... longer-travel suspension.

i am 5'8" and 29" inseam and seem to manage.

the other thing you want to think about is picking the thing up when you fall (notice that i said "when"...).

full of gas, the GSA is a mutha to lift. regular GS is bad enough.

i voted a GS for you. leave the suspension how it is... if you buy shocks that are softer, you'll be bottoming them all the time.

ian

(and no, my R80G/SPD is not for sale!)

Training is the answer...

Kevin Sanders, Double Guinness World Record Holder (Trans Americas and Round the World), run three Trans Americas Expeditions (2005, 2007, 2009), runs BMW Rider Training School for the whole of the UK, Ridden 500,000+ Miles throughout the world all on an 1150GS or 1200GSA, leaving for London to Beijing via Tibet and Everest Base Camp on 17th April.

He has 29 inside leg.....

If you really really want to be inspired www.tamsinjonesdakar.co.uk

Tamsin is under 5 foot and rides a GS Adventure as an instructor on the Off Road Skills School (Official BMW Off Road School for UK like Rawhyde)

On the GSA's larger fuel tank: Can your bladder go that many miles?
On the spoked wheels: they are available on the 'standard' GS.
On the height of either bike: set the preload way down and you'll bring it closer to Earth. The bike will still be tall, but not as much so. If you come upon some rough goings, just crank the preload back up to deal with it.

I have a 30" iinseam and manage just fine on my GSA. I do have the extra-low "R" model on it though. My bladder may not go 400 miles but I do typically stop every 300 - 325 miles and fuel up. I can stop in between if I have to take a leak, but I don't have to worry about a gas station.

The GSA is a bit tough to pick up if it falls over. But given that I am on the tarmak pretty much of the time, I don't see that as a problem. I have picked it up to make sure I can. No problem, but If I was asked to do it about ten times in a row, I might not be able to do it.

Other than that, I love the GSA. But If I were to go off-roading all the time, I would buy a little bike like the 650 twin. In fact, I think I will anyway, since my wife seems to like that bike. But I'll keep the GSA for me. I love it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427909

And the R1200R comes with a low suspension model, although with a 30" inseam - you won't need it..

454374636_vn2qX-L.jpg

I am looking to do some long, cross country trips in developing countries:

My riding will be:
-On pavement (But-poor road quality common to expected in sections) 50%
-Dirt roads 30%
-Poor dirt roads, washed out in places 20%
-Developing countries
-Poor fuel availability, variable quality
-Camping

The bike is right, but the vintage is wrong.

An R80 GS or GS Paris Dakar would be ideal.

Back