• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW System 6 Helmets - Availability

I have to agree that the chances of a local or state LEO checking your helmet for a DOT sticker is not high. Let's face it, with the number of idiots riding around in beanie toy helmets, its not likely that a Schuberth or BMW system helmet is going to draw ANY attention for a DOT sticker inspection.

I've ridden for years with an Australian spec Nolan.

But the last time I researched it, my home province didn't have a helmet spec.

I've ridden for years with an Australian spec Nolan.

But the last time I researched it, my home province didn't have a helmet spec.

Here is the spec from the Alberta Vehicle Equipment Regulation:

Division 4
Cycles
Cycle safety helmet
107(1) This division does not apply to bicycles.
(2) No person shall operate or ride as a passenger on a cycle unless
that person is properly wearing a safety helmet.
Safety helmet standards
108(1) A safety helmet intended for the use of an operator or a
passenger of a cycle must meet one or more of the standards for
motor cycle safety helmets adopted under subsection (3) in effect
on the date on which it was manufactured.
(2) The following are adopted and apply to safety helmets in
accordance with subsection (1):
(a) CSA Standard CAN3-D230-M85;
(b) Standard 218 under Part 571.218 of the Code of Federal
Regulations (United States), Title 49;
(c) British Standards Institute Standard BS 6658 - 1985;
(d) Snell Memorial Foundation Standard M2000;
(e) Snell Memorial Foundation Standard M2005.
(3) A safety helmet must have the mark or label CSA, DOT or BSI
or the mark or label of the organization in subsection (2)(e)
indicating that the safety helmet met one or more of the
specifications required on the date on which it was manufactured.
(4) No person shall buy, sell or offer for sale a safety helmet
intended for the use of operators or passengers of cycles unless it
complies with subsections (1) to (3).

Thanks LD.

I last researched that a few years ago, and won a case of beer on a bet, that there was no helmet reg. They must have promulgated it when the "new" highway traffic act was passed.

I was told that, at the time, Alberta wanted to get on board with some federal program, so passed the law requiring helmet wear, but didn't come up with a reg.

Anyway, with no Australia spec on that list, it looks like I have my work cut out for me if I get stopped and charged. But the last time the RCMP pulled me over, he said my buddy and I were too old to cite, and he thought BMW riders were pretty responsible.

I'm surprised the "skydiver had his neck broken by System Helmet that flipped open in flight" legend hasn't appeared here.

I've flown System 3 and System 5 helmets back with me from Germany, and my wife shipped us System 4s when she was there for business.

I've done it simply because I think they're cool and not because I'm necessarily convinced they're any better than any Made-in-Japan helmets. German safety standards are fine with me, as I consider any and all USA automotive anything simply third world.

Out of curiosity, when one ships goods into the US from GB is there a US duty on the items and if so, how much? I know if I shipped a helmet from GB to Canada there would be import duty and probably a large brokerage fee to do so. In the past to get around paying import brokerage from the US I maintain a US mailbox in Blaine Washington. Then I just import the items across the border...much easier and cheaper.

Designer Helmets in GB are selling the System 6 for $440 pounds which equates to $677 CND compared to $840-$940 at the Vancouver dealerships. Frankly, I have no problem buying overseas as long as I'm not knicked with a couple hundred dollar import duty and brokerage fee. Anyone that's had some experience with this? I'd appreciate your feedback.
Thanks in advance
cbcK1200S - Colin
:dunno

When I purchased a Schuberth from a German supplier there's was no duty paid upon entering the US. And it arrived in a week.

System 6 helmets are not in the US so when I was in Canada last year I stopped at the dealer in Calgary and tried them on. The sizing is different that most brands and they didn't have my size, unfortunately. They knew I was travelling. There was NO discussion that they wouldn't sell me the helmet or any such thing.
In fact, they called another dealer along my route to see if they had my size (I really wanted to be able to try it on). I wasn't able to try on my size, but I was impressed by the helmet features and not concerned that it wasn't as safe as the DOT approved helmet.

I might try getting one again this summer when in Canada!

System 6 helmets are not in the US so when I was in Canada last year I stopped at the dealer in Calgary and tried them on. The sizing is different that most brands and they didn't have my size, unfortunately. They knew I was travelling. There was NO discussion that they wouldn't sell me the helmet or any such thing.
In fact, they called another dealer along my route to see if they had my size (I really wanted to be able to try it on). I wasn't able to try on my size, but I was impressed by the helmet features and not concerned that it wasn't as safe as the DOT approved helmet.

I might try getting one again this summer when in Canada!

I've checked out the prices in Vancouver area where I live and have come to the conclusion that it is cheaper to purchase in Great Britain. Check out

http://www.designerhelmets.com/prodlist.php?cat=BMW&prod=System+6

They are over $200.00 cheaper and they ship where ever you want. I'm going to order mine through them next week.

If you are still interested in buying one in Canada give me your size and I'll check out if the dealer has it. Here in Vancouver they make you show your BC license and sign a waiver that you won't sell it to someone from the USA. I could coordinate the purchase and ship it to you. Frankly, the GB dealership sounds like less trouble
cbcK1200S - Colin

Aren't our governments (both US and Canada) and Schuberth/BMW just great!

About a year ago I was looking to replace my Schuberth flip-face helmet, both because of age and small damage in an accident. At that time no BMW helmets were on the shelf - in Canada - and the only Schuberth helmets were a few "left-overs" which of course were not in my size. "Schuberth is no longer importing helmets to Canada." Did my research and ended up with a Shoei RF-1000 which fits perfectly. Bad reviews kept the Multi-tec off my shopping list, though I do miss what you can do with a flip-face helmet when stopped or even on the road. (Eat, drink.)

Now both BMW and Schuberth helmets are again available in Canada? But you are better off (a couple hundred dollars) ordering from GB? Maybe you need to have it sent to a friend in the states to avoid duties in Canada, if you live close to the border?

As for the legality of wearing one of these helmets in the US, do I have this right, as a foreignor, to wear one of these highly protective but not DOT approved helmets in states where helmets are required (is it now only 20 out of 50) where little beanie caps apparently have DOT certification?

Frankly, I'm to the point of agreeing with the "helmet laws abolitionists." Or maybe we should look to what the Europeans are doing in terms of helmet laws, helmet certification, and rider education.

Yes, I am a Walter Mitty. If you are too young to understand, google it.

I wouldn't worry about a LEO looking for a DOT sticker. Every time I've been stopped, the LEO's didn't ask about my helmet, and I'm not even sure they were aware of the specification required.

Also, a helmet being DOT approved means the maker agreed to meet a certain specification. As I understand, there is no testing for a DOT approval. One could argue that a non-DOT helmet meets DOT standards in terms of quality of build. True or not, I can't imagine a LEO fighting somebody on this topic, especially if the helmet meets some reasonable standard.

Another idea that may not be true... you could argue that the helmet is considered standard operating equipment, therefore part of the bike, and therefore subject to Canada's laws in the same way that vehicle emissions equipment is.

Either way, in my opinion, wear your helmet, don't worry about it, and in the extremely rare chance you get stopped for something else, put a little sugar on it. You're being responsible by wearing a helment, a LEO isn't going to bust you for that.

Aren't our governments (both US and Canada) and Schuberth/BMW just great!

About a year ago I was looking to replace my Schuberth flip-face helmet, both because of age and small damage in an accident. At that time no BMW helmets were on the shelf - in Canada - and the only Schuberth helmets were a few "left-overs" which of course were not in my size. "Schuberth is no longer importing helmets to Canada." Did my research and ended up with a Shoei RF-1000 which fits perfectly. Bad reviews kept the Multi-tec off my shopping list, though I do miss what you can do with a flip-face helmet when stopped or even on the road. (Eat, drink.)

Now both BMW and Schuberth helmets are again available in Canada? But you are better off (a couple hundred dollars) ordering from GB? Maybe you need to have it sent to a friend in the states to avoid duties in Canada, if you live close to the border?

As for the legality of wearing one of these helmets in the US, do I have this right, as a foreignor, to wear one of these highly protective but not DOT approved helmets in states where helmets are required (is it now only 20 out of 50) where little beanie caps apparently have DOT certification?

Frankly, I'm to the point of agreeing with the "helmet laws abolitionists." Or maybe we should look to what the Europeans are doing in terms of helmet laws, helmet certification, and rider education.

Yes, I am a Walter Mitty. If you are too young to understand, google it.

You are absolutely right....one needs to ship a helmet to the USA not Canada as the duties and the "customs brokerage fees" would be a killer. I have a mailbox on Blaine that I use a it works great. I can import by driving over the border with the helmet and save all the hastle.
cbcK1200S - Colin

I have the nolan n 103

Great helmet, linked it to my iphone and my navigator 3, sounds great

Nolan 103 !!!

What kind of ear plugs do you wear withthe N103?
I have been wering one for a year. Cant wait to get rid of it. It is so noisy!

System 6

Funny thing here in Ontario is that Toronto dealer took out System helmets due to DOT regulations, where only 20 min from him another BMW dealer readily sells it no problem. You have to sign that it won't go to US. So it is legal - not legal?
BMW is not paying for the DOT sticker and you can read a lot about regulations and testing. I have it and it is a great helmet. I have Scala Q2 on it with longer mic.

I have been riding into the US with my System V for over 3 years.

Frankly whether it is DOT or not has not concerned me. The majority of the riders I see have either small 'pudding pot' or no helmets at all.

I don't think my full helmet is attracting too much attention.........

The original poster asked about alternative flip-ups. I'd suggest he check out the Shark Evoline Series 2 (the Series 2 is new for 2010 and has some improvements over the original, most notably a longer inner sun visor). The Evoline is both DOT and ECE 22-05 rated, and received a four-star SHARP rating from the UK. It's also unique in that it meets those safety standards with the chin bar down, and with it up (it folds all the way up and over the helmet to the back, thus avoiding the conehead look). That said, I don't plan to ride with the chin bar up, except perhaps in a parking lot. I bought mine online from the U.S. and received it just last week. I am not aware of Shark selling helmets in Canada, but the manual that came with the helmet shows both the U.S. and Canadian flags. The DOT/ECE 22-05 version is different from the version on sale in Europe in that it has the double-D chin strap over here and -- according to Revzilla.com -- the shell shape was modified to make it more rounded for the North American market. If anyone does get the urge to buy one, I'd suggest you make sure that it be the Evoline Series 2 (many for sale are still the original and not Series 2).

Here's Shark's website:

http://www.shark-evoline.com/English.html

Here's a review from WebBikeWorld (of the original DOT version, not the Series 2, though they just received a Series 2 for evaluation a few days ago):

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/shark-evoline/dot/

Finally, if you want to see the Series 2 "in action", check out this 30-min video of a French moto-journalist test riding the new VFR1200F from Paris to Dakar. This is what first got me intrigued about this helmet. The lid he's wearing is the one I bought (in Wayer White).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stu45JW42W4

Thanks for the information about the Shark Evoline helmet.

This past week I ordered a BMW System 6 helmet from Designer Helmets in Great Britain. The helmet cost 415 pounds which equates to $645 CDN which was $200 cheaper than the cost here in Canada. I also ordered a replacement visor for my Caberg Justissimo helmet and with the shipping the BMW System 6 & Caberg visor came to 479 pounds. I figured that was pretty good.

I shipped it to my Blaine Washington mailbox to avoid the huge customs brokerage and tax grab. I'll declare it at the border and avoid the brokerage fees.

The good thing about ordering the BMW was that I had the opportunity to test the fit at the BMW shop here in the Vancouver area. With so many sizes available I would have been truly miffed if I'd ordered overseas and when it arrived the fit just didn't fit. That would have been a bummer.

With the Shark I would have run into that issue as I'm not sure it is sold here in my area. This way there's no doubt and no hastles.

I thank each and every one of you for your comments, suggestions and experiences. You've been a great help. If anyone wants to check out the System 6 I will have it with me when I attend the Redmond Rally. See you there.

cbcK1200S - Colin
:dance

If you have items shipped to Canada via the postal service you won't encounter the brokerage fees that are typically charged by firms like FedEx, UPS etc. You will, of course, pay PST and GST on the declared value (converted to $CDN). Helmets are not subject to duty (at least from the U.S.), nor are most motorcycle-related goods.

BTW, the System 6 price in Ottawa is $999!

System 6

Well the helmet arrived in just over a week's time and the fit and feel is just wonderful. I love both the clear visor and the inner smoked sunvisor. The optics on both are just like wearing sunglasses.

I have only two complaints. My wife and I wear Cardo Q2 headsets and the design of the System 6 does not lend itself to the design of the unit. I've tried a couple of different ways attachment but haven't come up with an acceptable solution yet.

Secondly, the visor doesn't seat fully when you close the lid. You have to really give it a shove down to get it to seat properly. Once is does, man oh man you've got a great seal and sound barrier.

I'm sure I'll get the visor issue straightened out at my local dealership and if anyone else has an answer for the Cardo, I'd welcome any suggestions other that drilling holes in the lid.
cbcK1200S - Colin

I had a Schuberth from a few years back when they were sold in the US (it was DOT approved). When it came time to replace the helmet, and my dealer did not have any modular helmets, they offered to order a Skorpion helmet to see if I liked it. It has the inner sunscreen. I took a 1/2 hour test ride and was very pleased. The size medium fit like the Schuberth XL. Price was something like 275.00 US. You might look at one of these and see if it's your cup of tea.

Back