• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Aging Hips - Is This The End of Riding?

N

njnomad

Damn. Guess I've been lucky. I turn 56 this year and I'm still getting around pretty good. Climbed a rock wall last month. Went through an intensive fire academy a few months ago (see my thread) with intense follow-up fire drills. Just finished EMT Training last month. Still riding my beemer, harley and a crotch rocket. Guess I'd better knock on wood. :usa

No!!

Well, my state of denial has ended. Medicare card in my wallet starting 10/09...Suburban Machinery lowering for the pegs in 11/09...increasing right hip pain over the Winter...finally Xray diagnosis today: "degenerative hip disease." I think this means osteoarthritis, but MD and I will talk tomorrow.

I'm not in despair. With some pain and a lean of the bike to the right, I can still get my right foot up onto the lowered peg on my RT as I pull away from a stop. I'm just hoping that someone has been through this kind of thing, and can provide some advice.

Thanks in advance. As I tell my kids, inside every 65-year old man is a 15-year old wondering "What the hell happened?" :brad

Its only the end if you let it be. Have a look at www.geraldstransamericas.com

This guy is 65. He has had both hips replaced in the last few years having started noticing some pain etc. In 2009 he rode our GlobeBusters Trans Americas from Alaska to Ushuaia. 23,000 miles in 5 months. He had one fairly big off in Mexico but was riding again after a few days. Apart from this he rode the whole journey and served as an inspiration to everyone else on the trip.

Don't give in!

I've had some similar pains and found one thing works best for me so far! Weight LOSS:). I'm a big man, over 6 feet and 250lbs. Not too obese, but heavy indeed...TOO much weight caused much of my issues and I'm back to 200 and feeling so much better. I've known too many folks here too and the weight issue is common among too many Americans. If you're carrying too much access baggage, lose it right away and feel the difference:), in your joints. Randy:usa

+1 on the weight loss aspect.

Over the last year I've managed to lose 55 pounds, still have some more to go, but my goal is very near. FWIW, I went out riding my R11S for the first time this spring a couple of weeks ago. And immediately noticed how much more comfortable my hips joints were, even after several months off the bike. I purchased Suburban Machinery peg kit last fall, but never got around to installing them. Now actually thinking about NOT putting them on, at least not yet.

And...not a plug for anyone...but after years of limited success with various diet plans (I've always been "chunky", LOL) I tried the Nutrisystem thing and lost 42 pounds in 4 months. Which included a lot dietary cheating during Turkey Day and Xmas. Managing now to still lose a bit more , but that diet plan sure turned the corner for me. As always, YMMV.....

On another note, I've had 9 heart surgeries...and one of the things that keeps me going these days is my love of riding...hopefully it will be one of the very last things I have to give up for old age! Getting older, but that doesn't mean I have to grow up. :dance

Cheers! Bill J

Meh,could be worse.

All of us over 50 have pain to one extent and from one source or another.Sopme of us require analgesics/nsaids to ease it.those do not create altered states of consciousness.
Let's enjoy the ride as best and as long as we can,and suck up a little pain as an awareness indicator.

Well, my state of denial has ended. Medicare card in my wallet starting 10/09...Suburban Machinery lowering for the pegs in 11/09...increasing right hip pain over the Winter...finally Xray diagnosis today: "degenerative hip disease." I think this means osteoarthritis, but MD and I will talk tomorrow.

I'm not in despair. With some pain and a lean of the bike to the right, I can still get my right foot up onto the lowered peg on my RT as I pull away from a stop. I'm just hoping that someone has been through this kind of thing, and can provide some advice.

Thanks in advance. As I tell my kids, inside every 65-year old man is a 15-year old wondering "What the hell happened?" :brad

Hang in there, thought my riding days were comming to a end, but had one hip replaced @ 63 and the other @65 done 48 states just 7 months after the first one, not all in one trip, but over 5 months. And a lot of miles after the second one.
Still going strong @ 69 Good luck to you. Yellowbee

All May Not Be Lost...

Yellowbee (and other who have replied)...I mounted up this morning, and rode 30 miles to a Yankee Beemers meeting (04/18-Sunday). The darn hip hurts, but not while moving, and only when lifting that right foot onto the peg. There is an upside: this situation seems to improve my low-speed maneuvering skills, aka "how long can I keep this thing upright until the light changes?"

I'll see the doc in about a month (this is the Boston medical community, don't you know), and then start to approach this problem in a slow, conservative fashion.

Thank you and a tip of the hat to all who provided insights.:clap

Last edited:
Knock on noggin (closest thing to wood around here right now), I have no issues with the hips, and very slight knee issues at 52. I still bike ride, downhill skii, dirt bike, ice bike, etc. Gotto loose some pounds, cause 180 lpb on a 5'-6" frame doesn't help.

But I am going to check into a product called Flexcim. Its a natural product endorsed on the radio program "Duke and the Doctor". It is a product that works to restore the natural joint lubrication and cushion in the hips and knees.

new life ahead

Degenerative hip disease runs in my family and though I'm in my early 40's, it won't be long before I have one of them done. The pain after riding is getting to be too much. I don't want to wait until I'm infirm to have the surgery

I'd go on, but the point of my post was to point you to this thread over at Advrider - lots of info and stories there.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281477

Well,I've shattered my left pelvis three times,and this past Tuesday,May 4th,exactly one month past my 65th b/day,I managed to pick up a performance award, ( 82 in a 70, riding my'92 R100GS ) on I-35,on the last day of my trip home from attending the Branson Blitz,heading down to Houma,La,south of N'awlins. I pray I'll never grow up. I was nabbed by aircraft in Iowa,5 miles from the Mn border.Weather was nice and sunny,time was 0830,traffic was maybe 2-3 vehicles in a mile,highway straight as an arrow,had been a nice ride up until I noticed the flashing red in my mirror...

As I tell my kids, inside every 65-year old man is a 15-year old wondering "What the hell happened?" :brad

Well,I've shattered my left pelvis three times,and this past Tuesday,May 4th,exactly one month past my 65th b/day,I managed to pick up a performance award, ( 82 in a 70, riding my'92 R100GS ) ......I pray I'll never grow up......

Better that make a 16 year old wondering what the hell happened!

Glad you had a great and safe trip! :bow

I have two friends and a brother that had the procedure in the past 3-4 years. Each of them dragged their feet, and each of them regretted having done so after having had the operation. Their quality of life improved dramatically in every case. My brother had his about 8 months ago and had a new procedure done that was far less invasive than the others. I believe they go in from the rear and cut far fewer parts. He was up and walking within 12 hours of the procedure (with a walker) and walking a mile in a few weeks.

Hip replacement has radically changed. My wife had it done 10 years ago. She was bedridden for about a month.
A friend just had it done 6 weeks ago. 2 weeks later he was back at his store, getting around with a walker. I saw him 3 days ago walking from a storeroom outside back to the store carrying a case of something.
I've had a C-spine fusion, a lower back injury and now I have arthritus in my hip, but
I'm gonna be the Charleston Heston of motorcycles.
They can take my bike away when they pry my cold dead hands off the grips. :gerg:german

Finally Saw The Doctor Today

First, thanks to all who have provided insights into my minor problem.

For those in the Boston area, the wait for an appt. with an experienced hip guy can be months in length. In any case, I had my 8 minutes in his presence today. Long story short...my pain on the bike is "positional" in nature. I told him the seat's at the high point on the RT, and the Suburban Machinery pieces have dropped the pegs to about the lowest point. He said a hip replacement is "years away if ever" and I should consider a cortisone injection into the joint before my planned 5K-mile trip in September.

Anyone have an experience with a cortisone injection?

Thx - JG

the hip

I had the cortisone. It was a miracle, jumped off the table, pain absolutely gone. . . but started coming back in a couple of months. Apparently, it's steroidal so they won't keep giving it to you as it builds up and too much causes other problems. But I have a marathon runner friend whose doctor gives it to him if he needs pain relief before his big races. Anyway, I went searching for a non-surgical cure and ended up with Colgan's exercise/supplements routine. Worked for me.

Anyone have an experience with a cortisone injection?

I had a L3/L4 herniation in mid 2006. By early spring 2007, we had expensive reservations for an overseas trip and I still hurt. (Don't ask about the vicodin detour and detox.) The intervetebral cortisone injection gave me several months of significantly reduced pain, and allowed the trip to occur.

New Hip

Was having same problem lifting left leg onto pegs and shifting. Had total hip replacement at 55 eleven months ago. Pain and difficulty is now gone. Just did a 2100 mile trip last week on the R1100RT.

I had the shot:)

It was my shoulder pain. Lots of pain going in to see the doc, NO pain leaving:). Same shot. I actually had no pain getting the shot either and some say its uncomfy. Randy

From Ricoefamoso in Florida ... DO NOT GIVE UP !

Pushing 63 here (in November), diagnosed with degenerative osteo arthritis a year ago at Mayo.

Aches and pains, yes but I dont let it get in the way of a wonderful, quality lifestyle.

Been riding for years and love it ... will never give it up ... when necessary, will by a trike or a Can Am 3 wheeler ... uggh ... but there is nothing like a BMW motorcycle.

In March 2010, added to my stable another BMW an R1200RT with all the tricks and treats ... her name is "Gravel Gurtie" and I love her. Plan on buying a 2011 2012 etc. etc. etc. until I can't walk ... or when my wife places me in a nursing home lol.

Had a fantastic ride today, Saturday May 15, 2010. Some friends met me at my home this morning at 7 am and we headed north along Ocean Shore Blvd to St. Augustine FL (from Daytona Beach Shores FL)... a short 1 1/2 hour ride. Had breakfast on the ocean, rode around town seeing the sights, traffic was wild (it always is in St. Augustine) then rode south, to home on I95. Was out riding and touring for 8 hours today.

When I mount my RT it is a sight to see ... mounting from the left, I grab the cuff of my right jean pant leg and lift my leg over the saddle and slide on.

When the younger "Harley dudes" see me and laugh, I laugh back and let them know that I have the title in my safety deposit box and they can kiss my gritts !

With that being said, always remember age is a number and only a number. Aches and pains come with age but so does free time and more time to ride.

Dont give up my friend !

Good Information Here...

A hearty "Thank You!" to all who have posted about their experiences. I am optimistic that life on the RT will continue. I do think I'll have to stop more often on longer jaunts. I now feel that an hour on the pegs is about enough, and that I'll have to stop and get off for a couple of minutes. Perhaps the cortisone would change this, but I won't know until that happens. I'm following the advice of earlier posters...glucosamine on the inside, Capsaician (did I spell that right?) and SportsCreme on the outside.

Anyway, and I know I'm preaching to the choir here, the feeling of being on the road, with the sun pouring down, banking through the curves, literally being in the moment, it's worth the slight pain. :thumb

Thanks to all who've offered their support. I'm a bit away from the replacement yet, or so says the MD. I am going to look for the Colgan book today, and I think the title is:
Win The War Against Arthritis.

I've downed my Naprosyn, have donned my gear and am headed out to ride this cool morning in Boston. I'm more optimistic today. Thanks to all. JG

YES! to the walking and be carefull on the Naproxen-that stuff and the Relafen (that I used to be able to take) will take a toll on your kidneys! For me , from a laymans viewpoint, it is have some relief now or postpone the damage to your kidneys. The kidney doc I see told me he would get the Nobel prize if he knew of a replacement for these drugs for those with Osteo and kidney issues. The arthritis drugs did wonders for my CTS hands(had surgery & it helps bunches) but now I choose life (re: healthy kidneys) over lessened symptoms in the hands and wrists. Moral of the story: watch out what you wish for. Google "steroid injections for NFL players" or something similar, for some further reading on tradeoffs to the pains of old age/sports injuries. I vote for the walking...:blah
I picked up one large rock too many the other day-result is torm muscles in lower back, $50 to the Chiropractor, and much discomfort. Moral of that story is "a little common sense goes a long ways!" With getting older, we must lower our physical expectations to what we can/should do now, not in the past.:laugh

Back