• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Arizona Considers Legal Lane-Splitting

billy_b57

Lane Splitting

I was in Phoenix when that event took place. I ride there each spring , having lived in Ca for 9 years I loved to split lanes BUT AZ drivers are frickin NUTS. I hate riding in that city , I would hesitate L/S in Phoenix.
Those people drive like Ray Charles .

Phoenix:)

I've done it in LA,SF and Phoenix and find no difference in drivers. They're all insane! If you ride cities, you'd better know to ride offense/defense and all else you know to survive. I've done cities all my life on a bike, a long time and I try not to worry myself too much but do know the challenge indeed. Many riders I've heard are afraid and will ride far to avoid the cities. Randy:usa

The 2 major rules of riding

Ride defensively/offensively.

Ride like you're invisible.

I learned to drive and ride in NY. The drivers in Phoenix or LA are no worse or better than those on the eastern LIE. Any of them will cut you off, as if you're not there.

It is weird how you acclimate to lane splitting. The home commute from my last job in SoCal involved 20-30 miles going between cars - all just a perfectly normal everyday thing.

Now it seems hard to believe ever doing all that. It is illegal here, but there is seldom a need with my route and hours. OTOH, I have gotten stuck in a jam, and autopiloted into lane splitting. The hardwiring remains...

You can call it "hardwiring", to me, it is learned technique. I wouldn't be caught w/o it.

Two years ago, I was riding with a group to the Mexico BMW rally, following two natives. When we arrived in Gudalajara, they started to, and I followed. We almost lost the rest of my group from the Phoenix area.

You can call it "hardwiring", to me, it is learned technique. I wouldn't be caught w/o it.

Two years ago, I was riding with a group to the Mexico BMW rally, following two natives. When we arrived in Gudalajara, they started to, and I followed. We almost lost the rest of my group from the Phoenix area.

I checked out your bike and wonder what is an R1200S doing on the F800 forum? Read all the specs and have never seen a description so complete!

The perfect bike for lane splitting!

Last edited:
Thanks, Paul. I do love it, and rode it around some hard twisties today (15 mph for cars) on the way to Bartlett Lake and back with 10+ other bikes, one a BMW C model(not certain if R1100, 1150, or 1200). What fun and so little traffic with the Easter Holiday!

The R1200S is on the F800 forum as it is because that used to be the garage for my now lemoned out F800S, and I think it is the best facility I've seen to display a bike. Another funny tidbit is it has the most views on it, there of all the bikes.

It is time for some new photos, but I'd rather ride the bike.

I was just in Scottsdale for Arizona bike week, I sat in traffic several times over the three days I was there, motorcycles all around me no one split lanes, many from Cailfornia, no lane splitting. There were police around, I guess nobody wanted to take the chance.

Back